tsimons09
Last year

Making a Big V Team

Hi All,

Apologies if similar questions have been asked, but recently I've fallen in love with basketball again and want to play something a bit more meaningful than just senior domestic comps.

I haven't played rep since U20s as I quit to study and party after that and am now 26 and wanting to get back into it.

I'm aware that the season has started a few weeks ago and tryouts/open gyms are at the end of the year but looking to get an understanding to best prepare myself.

My main questions are around what the tryout process looks like and as someone who is an unknown, do I have a realistic shot of making a squad? I know some people who play Big V and play against some in senior comps and honestly think I'm on their level or slightly below but nothing that's unreachable if I start training hard.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks

Topic #51066 | Report this topic

Esky68  
Last year

Other than open tryouts I would contact the head coach directly and see if they let you into training and go from there

I'm not sure if you have the correct judgment on skill level unless you know them personally, from what I know most players that play in higher leagues don't try very hard in social domestic comps. 6 years off would create a gigantic gap

Just my two cents

Reply #916445 | Report this post

Cat 39  
Last year

Hey mate. I started playing Big V about your age after concentrating on footy most of my early twenties.. I did grow up playing a lot of basketball so didn't come from no base but it is possible for sure to make teams at your age.

I just went to try outs for a team in one of the lower divisions near me and impressed and ended up making the squad. There is often change over of players year on year particularly when a new coach comes in.. Maybe don't put all your eggs in one basket and try get to a couple of different try outs. Email the coach or introduce yourself before training. Each team usually has a couple of sessions and they narrow it down each one.

Reply #916464 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Go to as many open runs and tryouts in October/November as you can, but a huge tip, introduce yourself to the coaches and have a chat, also get to know some of the players.

If your going to stick on the end of one of the squads and initially get a foot in the door, it'll be as much about being of good character and happy to work hard and fit in as it will be about how good you are. That's providing you're of simmilar talent level to the end of bench guys and handful of other guys at tryouts who you're up against.

Reply #916480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754