GF22
Last year

NBL1 Central Women's Mid-season Rating

NBL1 CENTRAL Women's Mid-season rating

I don’t really follow the men’s comp so will leave that to someone else but below are my thoughts on the NBL1 Central Women’s Comp after 10 rounds - comments appreciated.

We are just over the halfway mark of the season and there are 7 teams fighting for 5 spots in the finals. Woodville, Mavs, and Centrals are all stronger than last year with at least 3 good players but don’t have the depth in their squad to make finals, but they could cause an upset or two.

Sturt in front by a long way with Tigers, Panthers, Eagles, Flames, Rockets and Bearcats all competing for those finals’ spots – NBL1 Central 2023 is the most competitive women’s comp in years.

Rating (Ladder after 10 rounds)

Sturt Sabres – First (Won 10, Lost 0)
The undefeated Sabres are the clear leader in the comp and to illustrate this, over the last weekend have just accounted for the number #2 (Tigers) and #3 team (South) despite not playing one of their star players in each game. Have two standout stars in Williams and Brazel plus an experienced talented core of another 4 players and the deepest roster with nearly the rest of the squad ex-state players (plus the skill and experience of Laura Hodges) – the team to beat in 2023 and likely Premiers.

Southern Tigers – Second (Won 7, Lost 3)
Started a bit slow losing 2 of their first 4 games but any team with McKendrick and Yaeger will be very hard to beat. Perhaps the best starting 5 in the competition (solid imports) but maybe lack of bit of depth on the bench. Surprised that Sturt beat them with Williams not playing but perhaps this just drives home the depth of Sturt. Would expect the Tigers to finish second and to be around the mark for the Grand Final – they have the starting 5 talent to go all the way.

South Adelaide Panthers – Third (Won 6, Lost 4)
Started well with 6 wins in first 7 games with only a close loss to Sturt. However, have lost last 3 games and need to regroup. Spencer is the shining light with Forbes also performing well. Have an excellent defensive game but not scoring enough – need Johnson and Defrancesco to regain their early season shooting form. Rees coming in for the back part of the season could be pivotal if South can capitalise on her size and skillset. With several other teams adding star players and improving on early season form, South have their work cut out to make the finals – need to win at least 6 of the remaining 8 games – could still miss the finals.

Norwood Flames – Fourth (Won 6, Lost 3 – Have game in hand against West)
Have 2 absolute stars in Wilson and Thompson and a solid starting 5 but lack depth on the bench. Expect them to be competitive in all games and will definitely be part of the fight for the finals. Easy to argue that Alex Wilson is the best and most complete player in the competition and when she is on her game, Norwood will be very tough to beat. Thompson is a scoring machine as well, so other teams beware.

Forestville Eagles – Fifth (Won 5, Lost 5)
Don’t have the most talented roster in the league but play as a team and compete hard. Had some good wins but also crazy losses. The younger Simons is stepping up and Freer is also delivering across the board. The addition of Borlase for the remainder of the season will give them a big lift and have them in finals contention. As part of the 6-team log jam, the Eagles need to win those critical games against the teams around them.

North Adelaide Rockets – Sixth (Won 5, Lost 5)
Had some good wins (West, South) and pushed Sturt all the way with a 2-point loss but has lost to Forestville twice and also to Norwood. Has 2 stars in Basham and Mansfield and a solid import. Basham is the league top scorer and can wins games off her own back (e.g., South) and very nice to have a WNBL star in Mansfield directing traffic. Can make the finals but like Forestville needs to string a run of wins together.

West Adelaide Bearcats – Seventh (Won 5, Lost 4 – Have game in hand against Norwood)
Not sure where to start with last season’s Premiers. The starting 5 is not as strong as last year and a few other teams have strengthened their rosters with better imports/locals. Clearly some "chemistry" issues with the team with 5 (?) players quitting the team during the season. Have an excellent starting local 4 with Fejo, Simmons, Coleman, and Anderson plus a 205cm import Aquino. Clearly the bench is now a bit thinner but no reason this starting 5 can not win the games to be in the finals. The catch-up game against Norwood will go a long way to determining both these team’s fortunes in season 2023.

Woodville Warriors – Eighth (Won 4, Lost 6)
A much-improved Warriors team this season and have been competitive in most games. Beat the Eagles at Wayville for their best win. Import Fransson has been dominating with great support from Winter, Perkas and Watkinson. Don’t have the depth to challenge the better teams but could cause an upset or two and help determine the teams who make the finals.

Eastern Mavericks – Ninth (Won 1, Lost 9)
A better team than the win/loss ratio shows – have been competitive in many games without getting the W. A solid starting 4 with Otto the standout in PPG (in the top 3 for the league) and averaging over 10 rebounds per game. Also doing really well are Levy, Bradley and Taylor who are all averaging 13-14 PPG. However just don’t have the depth to compete for a whole game.

Central District Lions – Tenth (Won 0, Lost 10)
Another challenging year for the Lions with depth again the issues. Sears, Guy and De La Cerda are all excellent players and doing well but not a lot of support for them.

In summary a much more even and competitive season thus far.

If I was a betting person, I would today predict a Sturt and Tigers Grand Final with Sturt winning their first since 2008.

Having said that, it wouldn’t surprise me to see North, South, Norwood, or Eagles right up there at season end and West are not out of it yet.

Roll on the last 8 games.

Topic #51102 | Report this topic

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Great write up. Would love for someone to do one for the men - I might try myself if I get some time.

I don't follow the women too closely so can’t comment on the accuracy but given no one has disputed what you’ve written it probably means it’s accurate!

Reply #917393 | Report this post

bcat  
Last year

Great post...

Reply #917422 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Sturt have been very consistent and have good depth. Norwood have added a quality import and with Wilson - a smoky - North have shown good form at times along with South. Tigers have been strong. Forestville and West very hot and cold. Any of the mentioned teams on their day can win this years title - my final 5 at the end of the minor round -

Sturt
Tigers
Norwood
South
North

just depends what team has who available as there are some big individual contributors

Reply #917488 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754