Isaac
Last year

Carmelo Anthony announces retirement from basketball

From Wikipedia:

10× NBA All-Star (2007, 2008, 2010-2017)
2× All-NBA Second Team (2010, 2013)
4× All-NBA Third Team (2006, 2007, 2009, 2012)
NBA scoring champion (2013)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2004)
NBA 75th Anniversary Team
NBA Social Justice Champion Award (2021)
NCAA champion (2003)
NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player (2003)
Consensus second-team All-American (2003)
USBWA National Freshman of the Year (2003)
No. 15 retired by Syracuse Orange
2× USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2006, 2016)
First-team Parade All-American (2002)
McDonald's All-American (2002)
r/NBA comment though:
Still blows my mind that he only won THREE playoff series in 17+ years in the league (two of them being in the same year).

Topic #51115 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Before Westbrook this guy was pretty much the poster boy of 'empty stats'.

Reply #917706 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Also the only player in top 10 in scoring all time that never won an MVP or NBA title.

I wonder if he offered to play for peanuts whether he would've got another chance.

Reply #917708 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

He was a supreme ball-hogger, even if he was often a very good shooter. Should have retired years ago.

Reply #917713 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Why did he wait so long?

Was he hoping for a contract with a contender?

At least he didn't go to Taiwan.

Reply #917734 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

He was a better international player than NBA player I think, and he actually took us out a few times on his own against the USA. I'm think 2016 especially. If we didnt have so much trouble defending his shooting on the wings something very strange could have happened that day for the Boomers. Either way can't deny he was talented just probably lacked in a few areas that make the difference between talent and having rings.

Reply #917740 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

He grew another leg playing for his country, respect that.

Reply #917741 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Anthony did seem to be lost and not accepting of the situation by trying to hang around the sport via spectating at various basketball games in the US and abroad. Hopefully he has other hobbies.

Did win an NCAA title which seems to be downplayed on here.

Although not the sharpest tool in the shed - he was at one stage during the Knicks stint leasing a whole level of a skyscraper for an office, inviting a journalist to write a feature story about it, and proceeded to admit the business he was running was yet to be determined. Cringe.

Reply #917759 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I LOVED the Linsanity era - the Knicks went from struggling under a ball-dominant Carmelo to an unselfish team which spread the ball and the scoring and did better on the court while he was injured.

Reply #917764 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

At least he didn't go to Taiwan.

I was in agreeance with this but then:
I LOVED the Linsanity era

Oh man, that was one ridiculously fun period of time and considering Lin plays in Taiwan now maybe Carmelo should have signed for his team. :P

Reply #917777 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

A supremely talented player but rightly or wrongly will mostly be remembered for being a gun player who could never manage to create success for his teams, rarely getting out of the first round, with only 28 career playoff victories to his name and 55 losses

Ultimately that meant living in the shadow of fellow draftees D-Wade and Lebron. They had 105-72 and 182-100 career playoff records with 3 and 4 titles

Reply #917801 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

The hate here is unwarranted...

Stellar college career, stellar international career, nba career was stellar also, would have been a top 5/10 player until he left New York.

He just didn't win, but neither did Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Reggie Miller, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Ewing, Dwight and many many others…

Reply #917805 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

The hate is very warranted. He was a empty-stats guy who won a total of three playoff series in his career, and refused to acknowledge his shortcomings until he was ~35yo. Him and Westbrook are the posterchilds of polarizing talents in the modern NBA.

His international career was indeed stellar. From Wiki:

"In summary, Anthony caps his Olympic career as the first man to win three gold medals, career leader in scoring, rebounding and games played, with 31, thereby becoming USA basketball's most decorated Olympian."

Reply #917806 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I never hated the guy; I just saw enough times when his style of play hurt the team and he wouldn't change, instead becoming even more selfish.
As for his defense ... no comment

Reply #917809 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Paul, Stockton have been on stacks of deep playoff runs.

Anthony is 6 times all-nba.

The NBA had 3 all NBA teams since 88-89

An interesting analysis question would be, is there anyone else who's been named to 6 or more All NBA teams but achieved comparatively minimal playoff success

A quick review shows Lillard, Dominique Wilkins and Tracy McGrady are others

Reply #917818 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Chris Webber.

Reply #917821 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Chris Paul.

Reply #917822 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Nah Webber was on that Sacto team who were contenders for a few years, including losing a Game 7 in Overtime of the conference finals to the 3 peat Lakers. A great series where Horry saved another game with a buzzer beating three, and rumours abound that the refs were helping the Lakers

Paul's Suns had a lead in the finals over Milwaukee, and he would've quite possibly won a title in 2018 if not for his hamstring injury while leading 3-2 in the conference finals. Plus plenty of conference semi appearances with the Clippers

Reply #917826 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Then there aren't any others.

Reply #917840 | Report this post

Turnover  
Last year

Interesting for the Nuggets.... wore #15.. i guess his number isn't retired as they already gave it to the Joker, so I guess they didn't think to highly of him.

Reply #917865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754