Hoopsnut87
Last year

NBL/WNBL Where are they now?

Hey folks currently working on a project regarding past players, but rather than the obvious (those that are in commentary or coaching) we are interested to know which are the past NBL WNBL players that just dropped off after retiring and you've never heard about since?

Topic #51132 | Report this topic

NBLTigers  
Last year

I wonder where Ben Melmeth is after he retired with Gold Coast? Delete above Issac.

He always liked helping kids with special needs. Great player from Newcastle who was lucky enough to play for the Falcons and Hunter. He never had a Wikipedia page which is strange since he played for Australia and many years in the nbl with all different teams.

Reply #918068 | Report this post

+  
Last year

there would be so many !

Reply #918071 | Report this post

Hoopsnut87  
Last year

yes Ben! Great idea, a couple of others we'd be keen to chat to Ray Gordon and Martin Cattalini

Reply #918072 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

Martin Cattalini is a regular at the Quarter Acre Pub in Applecross. He runs his family's chemical business in Kwinana now. Top bloke

Reply #918075 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Last year

Paul Kuiper

Reply #918078 | Report this post

Sherro  
Last year

Ben Simmons

Reply #918080 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Last year

Shaggy - Paul Keiper died recently

Reply #918083 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Ernest Nzigamasabo

Reply #918088 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Geordie Cullen

Reply #918090 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Ernest Nzigamasabo was working for basketball association in SW Sydney. He ran school clinics. I think he's in finance now.

Jenny Whittle has "a boring office job" on the Gold Coast (her words, not mine).

I know a few others, but mostly role players.

Reply #918107 | Report this post

Hoopsnut87  
Last year

Great ideas keep them coming, others I've heard are Rob Rose, David Stiff, Pat Reidy, Caitlin Ryan etc.

Reply #918112 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

James Crawford

(Last I heard he had departed Australia for some interesting reasons.)

Reply #918113 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

Where did David Close ever end up? An OG three point gunner.

Reply #918114 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Last year

Ben Melmeth came back to Newcastle after he finished up with the Blaze; I believe he's indeed working in the special needs sector.

Geordie Cullen, on the other hand, seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth - I haven't seen or heard from him since the Pirates' end of year function in 2006.

Reply #918120 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

what about Steve Davis or Rob Demster? Love those lads

Reply #918122 | Report this post

Sav is surfing in Wollongong.

Reply #918124 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Last year

Sav is also coaching his kids rep team.. kids a baller too

Reply #918125 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Geordie Cullen, on the other hand, seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth - I haven't seen or heard from him since the Pirates' end of year function in 2006.

He played for Wanneroo (now Joondalup) in the SBL (former NBL1 West) as a last ditch attempt at a basketball career but it didn't quite work out.

Reply #918130 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

former = current

Reply #918131 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I remember that feed saying where is Geordie Cullen now and it cracks me up since possibly Geordie Cullen was responding in his own post.

Strange when Cullen had a good season in 2006 then never played nbl again. There was more opportunity from 2007 to 2008 since the Slingers, Dragons, Blaze entered the league. Surely Geordie could of found one nbl team with his talents?

Wasted career in my opinion unless something happened, who knows?

Reply #918134 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Last year

https://bridgeprosports.com.au/

This is apparently what Geordie, and another former NBL player Carmine Olowoyo, are up to now.

Reply #918137 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Wasted career in my opinion unless something happened, who knows?

He was a great talent but there were behavioural issues at play. I thought that was common knowledge but perhaps not.

https://bridgeprosports.com.au/

Great find.

Reply #918140 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Last year

Yeah, Geordie had problems, but he was a great guy.

Reply #918151 | Report this post

Steel Titan  
Last year

Perthworld

I thought JC had been carrying injuries and was basically just ready to retire?

Reply #918214 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

JC is my favourite BB player ever. Would be interested to hear speculation on why he left. Thought he just wanted to go home and was still on good terms with the Cats.

Reply #918219 | Report this post

Steel Titan  
Last year

Robbie Dempster manages a sports & rec centre near Bunbury. Really great guy.

Reply #918264 | Report this post

Baltikaben  
Last year

Glen Saville is a firefighter. I did a shift with him recently, he's a top bloke.

Reply #918408 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Stephen Whitehead is coaching somewhere up in Sydney. Had a chance to talk to him briefly at the tigers 93 championship reunion. Really good guy

Reply #918409 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754