Zodiac
Last year

Perth Wildcats vs G-League Ignite

The Perth Wildcats are heading to Las Vegas to play two pre-season games against the G-League Ignite team.

The two games - which will be played on September 6 and September 8 – will be the first glimpse Wildcats fans have of projected top 20 pick Alexandre Sarr, star signing Keanu Pinder, and New Zealand wonderkid Dontae Russo-Nance.

"We are thrilled to have been invited to travel to Las Vegas in early September to compete in a two-game series against the G-League Ignite," Wildcats General Manager of Basketball Operations Danny Mills said.

https://nbl.com.au/news/wildcats-vegas-bound-for-g-league-ignite-series

Danny Mills has also said the Wildcats have changed course and now intend to sign another two imports for this season.

Topic #51216 | Report this topic

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Perth are trying to sign Diop Reath but given he can get more oversees it will be hard

Reply #921273 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Overseas

Reply #921274 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Anyone know if the games at 9am WST tomorrow and Saturday are deffo being shown on NBL tv or similar? NBL website says yes but Wildcats HQ hasn't confirmed anything as yet from what I can see

Reply #925126 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Details released

https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/how-to-stream-wildcats-take-on-g-league-ignite?fbclid=IwAR1_dtqWgHMNNGzrKO16hbE_uZMski0BuNxTmXUrzqq-iUbHXyIHUGZUY2A

Reply #925128 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

2 more imports?! So they confident Cotton will get his citizenship this season??

Reply #925135 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The thread was posted before Usher was signed.

Cotton can't even apply for citizenship for another two years.

Reply #925139 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

yeah I thought as much! Big blow for the Boomers too!

Reply #925140 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #925157 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

https://www.nba.com/watch/event/game-nba-g-league-fall-invitational-ignite-vs-perth

Reply #925176 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Good start

Reply #925177 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Still no Pinder

Reply #925178 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Cant watch it but was wondering if there is a stat tracker anywhere?

Reply #925179 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Cats seem to be struggling with the ball, a lot of shots dropping short.
But offensively looking more mobile than last year

Reply #925180 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

They're shooting from a longer three=point line so that's probably why

Reply #925181 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

They are looking a bit sloppy out there

Reply #925182 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Yes very sloppy.

Reply #925183 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

A lot of the bench getting a run, your typical pre season game. Geeze Pinder is a concern though, still no appearance and the season just three weeks away?

Reply #925185 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Who talks trash and gets T'd up in a preseason game? :)

Reply #925186 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I don't want to see the shooting percentages... couldn't hit the side of a barn right now.

Alex Sarr looks the goods though. Three dunks and 4 blocks in the first half.

Reply #925188 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Looks like Rillie is going to need to figure out how to play Sarr and Pinder together. Sarr is too good to play 10 mins a night.

Reply #925193 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

C - Sarr
PF - Pinder
SF - Usher
SG - Cotton
PG - Webster

can this work Bored?

Reply #925194 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

It would be an exciting s5

Reply #925196 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Looks good to me BF!

Reply #925200 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Box Score

https://gleague.nba.com/game/per-vs-gli-2012300001?view=box-score

Reply #925201 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Ignite 124 - Perth 105

Reply #925205 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Import PF or Reath to come as well

Reply #925207 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Reath would walk in to the role as best big on the team but hes not really needed at this stage. The $ best spent elsewhere.

Reply #925210 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

If Sarr is going to be as good as he has looked so far then Bored is right, money could be spent on a PG.

Reply #925211 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Saar is going to lead the league in block shots . He is a monster already on the defensive end. If I'm the Cats I would start him at the 5 and Pinder at the four. That Kiwi dude is as atrocious his ponytail Perth should look at getting an upper who can play the 4/5 to and Pinder. Wagstaff is to old to be a reliable backup.

Reply #925212 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Perth looking like
Webster/Zunic/Russo-Nance
Cotton/Webster/Harris
Usher/Henshall/Harris
Import/Wagstaff/Okwera
Pinder/Sarr/Andrew

Reply #925215 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

I like Benny's swagger, this kids could be legit if he gets some court time.

Reply #925217 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Going to be a heavy reliance on Usher to guard basically everyone on the perimeter, but if it all clicks on the other end they might score enough points to make up for it, and having a rim protector like Sarr will help.

Reply #925219 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Pinder playing today. Cats off to a good start.

Stream Link

Reply #925355 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Yeah looking a lot more polished. Saar looks starting 5 calibre. Usher good shooting touch. Cats looking good for NBL season.

Cotton showing why he needs to be on the olympic squad.

Reply #925356 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

That Sarr rim protection is such a game-changer for our D

Reply #925357 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Pinder not playing all of the third quarter and sitting at the end of the bench in his warmup top has me warned... hopefully just getting managed, not another injury.

Reply #925364 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

has me worried**

Reply #925366 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Bryce is killing it this game

Reply #925368 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

Sarr is legit. Will be a lottery pick.

Reply #925369 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Wildcats 127 - Ignite 112
Boxscore

Reply #925371 | Report this post

Steel Titan  
Last year

Pinder's 2023 so far
Ankle
Eye
Shoulder (Spain)
Lower back
Groin
More?

Reply #925373 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

No idea why the Cats re-signed Tai. Absolutely useless.

Reply #925374 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cotton is exactly what boomers need.

Reply #925377 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Cotton is something else

Reply #925379 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hopefully cotton won't have to wait 2 more years.

Reply #925380 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

Cats need an import guard to start and bench the Websters. Corey can have some minutes off the bench. Tai to DNP-CD every game.

Reply #925382 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Alex Saar is going to be a huge weapon for Perth. A seven foot two giant who can move like he does is a rare commodity. He is a monster on the defensive end and versatile on offense with a jump shot and a three point shot

Reply #925397 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I'm excited about this youth movement but at the same time worried about the attitude of the Webster brothers.

Reply #925416 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Ben Henshall and Michael Harris take a lot of Tai and Corey's minutes in the backcourt as the season progress.

Though to be fair, Corey was shocking last pre-season and at the start of the season, and finished up with one of his best seasons of his NBL career. And in Tai's last full season in the NBL he averaged 17pt/6ast

Reply #925419 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

I agree Henshall and Harris will be fighting for minutes. Rillie has shown he's not afraid to take someone out of rotation regardless of their reputation (Blanchfield and Norton).

Reply #925436 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Here's a full replay of Game 2:
https://youtu.be/_fl2i6vToTM?si=hutcgkQLtwYurmhV

Reply #925437 | Report this post

Dakkith  
Last year

Thanks for the game 2 link, Andrew!

Reply #925529 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Anybody worry that if Sarr performs really well that he will get shut down as he prepares for the draft?

Reply #925543 | Report this post

Big Fudge. I was going to post the same thoughts.

Reply #925546 | Report this post

Big Fudge. I was going to post the same thoughts.

Reply #925547 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Yes it's a distinct possibility given his skills but fingers crossed it doesn't happen, he appears to be the answer to a lot of last few seasons issues! Hopefully not a situation like when Balls foot injury in 2019 turned into a decision to sit out the rest of the season for the Hawks and the rest is history.

Reply #925549 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

My original thoughts have been to pick up an import PG with the remaining spot, but my worries of Sarr being shut down then makes me think if we need insurance.

Reply #925550 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Saar will be a top 20 pick at worst. Given his insane agility for his size and ability to cover virtually every spot on the defensive end he will be a hot commodity. For Perth fans they better enjoy young Henshall for the few years he is in the NBL
because he is another potentially NBAplayer or will go to Europe for much bigger money. He is going to be a gun

Reply #925551 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Things will change as new prospects emerge through college etc. but honestly based on these two games I'd be surprised if Sarr doesn't end up being a top 5 guy. His ability to defend the perimeter and protect the rim scream modern NBA 5 man. Not sure what his impact will be in the NBL, my guess is pretty positive if he can stay out of foul trouble.

Reply #925554 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

He shall ain't going no where unless he improves on defense. The ignite drive around through him and over him.

Reply #925565 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Saar will lead the NBL in block shots and if given enough minutes which I assume he will be the defensive player of the year is realistic

Reply #925598 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

He has some great defensive instincts, but some average defensive fundamentals. He needs to fix those so he can stay on the court, I suspect that will be his challenge early in the season as smart players work out they can get him out of position and initiate contact.

Reply #925603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754