Wang whipper
Last year

Ryan Broekhoff calls it a day

South East Melbourne Phoenix favourite Ryan 'Rowdy' Broekhoff has called time on his basketball career for now as his focus shifts to other priorities, including his growing family.

'Rowdy' decided to step away from basketball as his focus shifts to family with the arrival of his youngest son Ezekiel earlier this month.

"I have made the decision to retire from basketball. It is something that I have been thinking about for a while. I have always said that my family is the most important thing to me, and with the arrival of baby Ezekiel and us starting our own business, the timing feels right to step away. I look forward to being able to spend more time at home with them and starting the next phase of my life," commented Broekhoff.

"The door may be slightly open still to coming back and playing, but my focus, for the time being, is on supporting my family and my business."

Known for his ability to knock down big shots from beyond the arc, Broekhoff joined the Phoenix a month into the NBL21 season and debuted on March 12th against the Cairns Taipans, hitting a signature three with his very first shot in Phoenix colours.

Across his three seasons with the Phoenix, the sniper-like shooting guard played 57 games, averaging 9.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 0.3 blocks, and 1.0 steals per game.

"It was amazing being back home and playing for the Phoenix. Giving back to the area that I grew up playing in and being able to play in front of friends and family after being away for so long. I can't thank the club enough for their support over the last few seasons and to my amazing teammates over the journey that made going to work each day enjoyable," Broekhoff said.

The Frankston local started his basketball journey in the Heartland of Frankston, playing for the Frankston Blues before heading to the US to college at Valparaiso University in 2009.

After going undrafted in 2013 NBA draft, his professional career started in Europe, where he played in Turkey with Besiktas (2013-15) and then in Russia with Lokomotiv Kuban (2015-18).

Broekhoff finally got his NBA call up in 2018, signing with the Dallas Mavericks for two years, where he played 59 games and averaged 4.0 points, 1.8 rebounds, and 0.6 assists.

Across his professional career, the man affectionately known as 'Rowdy' represented Australia on multiple occasions, including under 19's, the Boomers' 2013 FIBA Oceania Championship squad, the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup squad, and the 2016 Rio Olympics team.

Broekhoff reflected on his professional basketball career with Australia and his teammates as the journey's highlight.

"I have been very lucky to have been able to play basketball professionally all over the world. I enjoyed every stop along the way from Europe to the NBA, but playing for Australia has been my highlight," he said.

"What I will remember the most, though, is the friendships and teammates that I have had along the way. Those memories of road trips, plane rides, hotels and competing every day with amazing people will stay with me forever."

Broekhoff has been an advocate for men's mental health in recent times after he opted out of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and continues to work on bringing awareness for the cause.

Phoenix CEO Tommy Greer commented on Broekhoff's impact at the Phoenix including leading the club as co-captain in the 2022/23 season.

"Ryan has been a favourite within the organisation since his arrival to the Phoenix in 2021. Across three seasons, he has provided professionalism and leadership for our roster both on and off the court and has a deep connection to the South East community," said Greer.

"After a stellar career in basketball, we wish Ryan, his wife Katie and his boys Jackson and Ezekiel all the best for the next chapter in their life. Our door for Ryan will remain open if he ever wishes to return to the club."

While Broekhoff will no longer be playing, his connection to basketball and the South East community remains strong, with the Frankston local opening a Hoop City franchise in Carrum Downs with wife Katie and fellow Australian Basketball legend David Andersen.

"Now I get a chance to help the community in a new way with my business Hoop City South East. Being able to use my experience to help coach and improve basketball players and provide a fun, safe and positive environment to all who enjoy basketball. Hopefully, helping train the next generation of Phoenix players," Broekhoff commented.

The Phoenix thanks Broekhoff for his contribution to the club and community and wish him and his family all the best for the next chapter in his life.

Topic #51230 | Report this topic

Cram  
Last year

i still feel like he's only mid 20s. Was surprised to see he's 32. Thats still young for a basketball player to retire but it sounds like its a vey considered decision. Good luck to him.

Haven't been to any of those hoop city courts. Any good?

Reply #919874 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

One of our best pure shooters of all time. Congratulations on an amazing career. It never seemed to quite click for him in the NBL and injuries didn't help. Big loss for the Phoenix.

Reply #919891 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I wouldn't say he's a big loss for SEM he seemed to hurt the team more than anything with how often he would get injured and then struggled form wise.

Reply #919894 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

SEM were good the last two years when he played (61% win percentage compared to 39% when he didn't), but sadly his body just let him down. He's a great, team-first player, a shame to see him pack it in but I can only imagine how frustrating it's been for him.

Reply #919896 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

It's a shame he never quite reached the lofty heights of Aussie basketball that he seemed destined for, but at the end of the day he's had the kind of career that 99% of professional basketball players would dream of.

Enjoy retirement!

Reply #919899 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

@Zodiac - you don't think losing one of your main leaders and primary scorers is a big loss? Injuries aside SEM would definitely have hoped to have him around for quite a few more seasons.

Reply #919905 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He wasn't one of SEM's primary scorers though. He was 5th on the team in scoring barely averaged 10 ppg. His three seasons with SEM he averaged 7.0, 11.1 and 10.3 in 57 games and in his first two seasons shot less than 40% from the field. The NBL hyped his signing way too much and he struggled.

Reply #919909 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Never quite got to where I expected, after his efforts for the Boomers in 2014 and 2016 I expected him to have a better career than he ultimately did.

Still, played a role for SEM and Aussies are harder to replace, so the Phoenix will miss him for sure.

Reply #919926 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Played in top Russian team, bench nba, nothing to be ashamed of there, yes wasn't as good as SEM but glad to see him play nbl to finish. Actually it’s been an excellent career, well done.

Reply #919928 | Report this post

Euroleague  
Last year

Agree, good career, a great bloke and a guy who always added value to the culture of whatever team he played in.

You don't need to score 30 points every night to make a difference in a team.

All the best for what the future holds, Ryan!

Reply #919932 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

While Broekhoff didn't shoot as well as he had done previously, he didn't struggle, he was one of the most important cogs in that team.

Reply #919938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754