Isaac
Last year

Boomers announce squad for warm-up games

The players not going through to Melbourne are Matthew Dellavedova and Will McDowell-White.
The three warm-up games against Venezuela, Brazil and South Sudan are in Melbourne on August 14, 16 and 17.
Boomers Squad for Melbourne
Xavier Cooks
Dyson Daniels
Dante Exum
Josh Giddey
Chris Goulding
Josh Green
Joe Ingles
Nick Kay
Jock Landale (*injured)
Patty Mills
Duop Reath
Matisse Thybulle
Jack White

Topic #51294 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I know a lot of people think it's either Cooks or Goulding to go through, but I think it could be either Cooks, White, Goulding or potentially one of the wings ie, Thybulle or Daniels.

My guess? White or Cooks or Goulding. But we do have a lot of guards who do similar things.

Reply #921641 | Report this post

Will Landale be able to play at the WC?
What if the injury doesn't heal normally?
Maker had to be included in the reserve roster.

Reply #921643 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Landale's injury is only a rolled ankle. BA said he won't play in the warm-up games in Melbourne but should be fine for the start of the WC.

Reply #921644 | Report this post

Giddey / Exum
Mills / Green / Goulding
Thybulle / Ingles
Kay / Cooks
Landale (*injured) / Reath

Daniels or White

My guess is that one of Daniels and White will be left off the final roster.

The reason why Goulding will be on the final roster is because Goorjian has consistently mentioned him as part of the plan.

The reason Thybulle will be on the final roster is his performance in the Olympics.
Average - 23.3 Min / 7.8PTS (FG 62.1% , 2PTS 76.5% , 3PTS 41.7% , FT 60%) / 3.3REB / 2.5AST / +/- (+12.2)

The reason Cooks will be on the final roster is because he can play Small-Ball 5.

Reply #921645 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

I don't see it as necessarily a bad thing to have a number of wing players who can play a similar role. These similar players are high quality defensive players, so imagine having a deeper rotation with these high intensity defenders being regularly rotated to hound the opposition. If Goorj wants to play the traditionally distinctive Australian style with a faster pace, then planning to regularly rotate our strong defenders might be a good idea.

Reply #921646 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yes, its apparently only a rolled ankle, and if it doesnt heal properly... I mean they sound pretty confident it will so I dont see why this would be some sort of strange alien healing process.

It scares me a bit though... all it takes is an injury to one of our main guys and we're much weaker suddenly. I know that's the game we're playing here but it makes these things an anxiety inducing display for me

Reply #921648 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Daniels is bigger than white and can play 3 or 4 positions.
Think it's a no brainer, white will get his shot post 2024.

Reply #921649 | Report this post

I forgot to write down the most important average steals in my comment above.
Thybulle averaged 3 steals in the Olympics.

Reply #921650 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Probably answered elsewhere but are these warm up games televised/streaming anywhere, FIBA youtube channel maybe?

Reply #921651 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

"The reason Thybulle will be on the final roster is his performance in the Olympics."

That and him being one of the 3 or 4 best perimeter defenders on the planet.

Reply #921652 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Daniels is smaller than Jack White. Daniels is 6'7" and just 90kg, White is 6'7" and 102kg.

In saying that I don't think Daniels will be getting cut I think it's down to Cooks or White and I expect Cooks will get picked as he could play the 5 in spot minutes if need be, White couldn't.

Reply #921653 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

" Probably answered elsewhere but are these warm up games televised/streaming anywhere, FIBA youtube channel maybe? "

Theyll be shown on 9Now and 9Gem

https://www.nineforbrands.com.au/media-release/boomers-vs-world-international-basketball-live-and-free-on-nine/?fbclid=IwAR2eg4YUY3XWSADcQev-CpByMq9KUwJ6qbpE9WrKHFtpo7haQ_lqtm9JJrc

Reply #921654 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Probably answered elsewhere but are these warm up games televised/streaming anywhere, FIBA youtube channel maybe?

They're all on 9Gem/9Go.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2023/08/airdate-boomers-vs-world.html

Reply #921655 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"In saying that I don't think Daniels will be getting cut I think it's down to Cooks or White and I expect Cooks will get picked as he could play the 5 in spot minutes if need be, White couldn't.'

Excuse my ignorance on the Xs and Os, but what makes Cooks able to play the 5 and White not? I'd thought it be the other way around given the physical dimensions of the two and White being a bit beefier.

Reply #921656 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Cooks is taller, longer and craftier than White.

Reply #921657 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

WMW and delly cut, down to 13

Reply #921658 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

CG is a liability defensively at international level. As soon as he is on the court he will get exploited.

His 3pt shooting percentage isn't any better than half of the likely team.

Who are you taking off the court to put him on?

Reply #921659 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Goulding is proven at international level. He scored 20 against the USA in a warm up a game a few years ago and has had 1 or 2 other 20 point games at previous WC/Olympics.

If the offence is stagnant you throw him out there and see if he gets hot and he's got no problem torching taller, longer defenders like the USA guys. He's a lock, IMO one of the first guys you'd pick.

Reply #921660 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Have a look at how he was used in Tokyo, will be a similar template to that you would think.

Reply #921661 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Actual measurements had Daniels 6'7.5 in shoes and white was 6’6.75 in shoes.

Reply #921664 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Cooks at 5 is almost as ridiculous as Daniels being cut for Goulding...

Reply #921665 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

CG scored 23 points in total in Tokyo he averaged 3 pts. He is now 2 year older, he isn't 2 years better.

He played half the game against Slovenia - and Boomers were -12 while he was on the court. BG almost cost us the game overplaying him.

Josh Green has developed a lot more since.

At the 2019 WC CG avg 7ppg, 3pt percentage 32%. In the big games he shot 1/8 3's.

Across those 14 Olympic and WC games there were only really 2 games where he had a team +/- above 3. Boomers must have been 11-3 across those games.

The previous 2016 Olympics he shot 26% from 3pt line.

Josh Green shot 40.2% 3pt in the NBA.

Reply #921668 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Cooks is more than capable of playing the 5.
Did quite a few times at Winthrop. Better him at the 5 than a 3 in fiba..

Reply #921669 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"CG scored 23 points in total in Tokyo he averaged 3 pts. He is now 2 year older, he isn't 2 years better."

This is only a fair stat if you follow it with minutes played and/or ball useage.

"He played half the game against Slovenia - and Boomers were -12 while he was on the court. BG almost cost us the game overplaying him."

Interesting stat but could there have been other contributing factors? I am playing devils advocate here. Sure he was on the court through a rough patch but can we say it was due to him?

"The previous 2016 Olympics he shot 26% from 3pt line.

Josh Green shot 40.2% 3pt in the NBA."

I don't think anyone is arguing Goulding over Green.

I think the reason Goulding persists is because of his "potential". Now I get that a 35 year old wont have that much upside, so when I talk about potential here I am talking about that one game.

Could Goulding be NBL Goulding for a single game and be the difference that wins us the game?

When you're looking at your 12th spot, on a team with a lot of interchangeable skillsets and a team with only one guy who can really create his own shots with any consistency, you may ask the question - Goulding over someone like Jack White?

Really it's choosing a bit of a wild card over someone whose skillsets are otherwise provided for. And while no reasonable person would think Goulding is "better" than Jack White, he certainly is a different proposition to the rest of the team.

I am no sayin this at all hoping Goulding gets a spot. I hope Goorjian goes with what he feels is right. I am not going to pretend that Goorjian has never been wrong, but I trust him to make this call more than I trust myself to make it for him. We can obviously be critical of professionals and what they do but there's a reason why he's out there doing it and we're on a board talking about it. I accept he knows things about basketball that I don't.

Either way we should have a pretty good team with a very real shot at medalling. Slovenia, France and Canada loom on the horizon, though.

Reply #921671 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

I'm not against Goulding being in the side, but I think he's a bit overrated at times. Averaged 4 points @ 29% in Tokyo. Only properly got hot once at the 2019 WC.

I don't mind having that designated three point bomber, and maybe Goulding goes off in a big game this comp, but it'd be nice if he had a better strike rate. I have just as much confidence in Green being able to fill that role to be honest.

Reply #921673 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Would you have Vasiljevic over goulding after his nba gig?

Reply #921675 | Report this post

I'm not opposed to Goulding making the final roster, but I do agree with the statement that he's overrated

Goulding's only two 20-point games were at the 2016 Olympics and 2014 World Cup. Seven and nine years ago. He did it against Venezuela and Angola (both of which were underachievers).

Goulding vs USA (Warm-up Matches)
2019 - First Game 19 points
2019 - Second Game 5 points
2021 - 11 points

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019 WC

Average - 17.8 Min / 7.3PTS (FG 36.7% , 3PTS 32.4% , FT 90.9%) / 1.1REB / 0.6AST / +/- (0)

Semi-Finals vs Spain
14Min / 5PTS (FG 1/7 14.3% , 3PTS 16.7% , FT 100%) / 1AST / 2PF / 1TO / +- (1)

3rd Place Game vs France
17Min / 0PTS (FG 0/3 3PTS 0%) / 3REB / 2PF / 2TO / 1ST / +- (-9)

2021 Olympics

Average - 11.9 Min / 3.8PTS (FG 29.2% , 3PTS 35% , FT 66.7%) / 1.5REB / 0.7AST / +/- (-1)

Semi-Finals vs USA
19Min / 8PTS (FG 2/7 28.6% , 3PTS 33.3% , FT 66.7%) / 4REB / 3AST / 1ST / +- (-10)

3rd Place Game vs Slovenia
21Min / 6PTS (FG 2/6 33.3% , 3PTS 40%) / 2REB / 2PF / +- (-12)

Reply #921676 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

The eye test -

CG really struggled against long athletic wings, which is all of FIBA...

My guess is CG turnovers per 36 or whatever stat you wanna use is pretty high

Reply #921678 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Gorjian is well aware of what CG's strengths and weaknesses are.

CG is not in the squad based on his previous Olympic and WC performances.
(Dont forget, he went 7/7 from 3 in a pre-Olympic practice game against Nigeria.)
He is 7n the squad based on his current form in training camp.
On that basis, I trust his inclusion thus far.

Reply #921680 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

If Landale is under an injury cloud, however minor, Cooks case only strengthens further

Reply #921681 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

An observation from the video posted by the Boomers insta account of their game against Houston was their starting line up.

Starting line up:
Giddey
Mills
Thybulle
Kay
Reath

Reply #921683 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Brian Goorjian on Josh Giddey:

"One thing about him is we need guys like Goulding around him, who can shoot the ball."

This would suggest Goulding is pretty likely to be picked?

Reply #921684 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

"Thybulle averaged 3 steals in the Olympics."

It would be interesting to see the stat on points scored from these steals because my memory makes it feel like every steal resulted in a basket. Momentum swinging plays.

Re: Goulding, I would expect he must be in shooting form to earn a spot. If he is, he could have a high value on this team. But his value isn't all about form because his mere inclusion should help stretch the defense to allow slashers like Giddey to operate. As Goorj implies, we need players who are legit threats out there. Will defenses look at his Toyko stats or the fact an unathletic shooter made a strong Boomers team?

"[Goulding] Averaged 4 points @ 29% in Tokyo..... as much confidence in Green being able to fill that role to be honest."

Will Green be treated by defenses as a 41% NBA guy, or a 0% from 0 3pt shots Tokyo player? Will defenders back a bit further off to account for Green's slashing? Everyone will know that Goulding is there for one reason. Goorj has always liked having a spot up shooter off the bench.

Reply #921686 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

I can see Cooks being the final cut tbh.

Reply #921687 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Delly, WMW and Cooks was my prediction for the final 3 to be cut, so now that 2 of 3 are gone, I'll stick with that

People are suggesting that Cooks being one inch taller and more adept at playing 5 gives him an advantage over White

Don't forget in Tokyo the Boomers played small ball- Baynes got injured in the 2nd game and Reath barely played.

In the final few games in Tokyo the big man rotation was Landale, Kay and Thybulle. We'll again have those three, plus Reath.

White has always been known as the ultimate team guy, the ultimate culture guy, the ultimate glue guy. He captained Duke and was known as the ultimate teammate at United. That plus his 3 point shooting are significant advantages over Cooks within the Boomers system.

Reply #921688 | Report this post

If Landale misses the warm-up match in Japan, there's a good chance he won't be fully recovered by the time he returns for the World Cup.
Just as we didn't anticipate Baynes' injury at the Olympics, there's a chance he might not return, depending on how quickly Landale recovers.
Leaving all options open, it's more likely that Cooks will remain on the final roster.

Olympics

Landale / Kay
Baynes / Reath

WC

Kay / Cooks
Landale / Reath

Reply #921689 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Dellavedova out is a relief, dude should have announced his international retirement and gone out gracefully.

Reply #921693 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Why Perthworld? I don't understand this mentality.

Reply #921697 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Landale injury is a concern and makes the decision to cut Maker and Pinder so early even more risky.

We're already taking a small team regardless and it SEEMS as if white or Cooks will be the last cut, though really losing one of the wings (Daniels/Green/Thybulle/Goulding) probably makes more sense.

Whoever the last cut is will be tough.

Reply #921705 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

What's the injury? Is it just a rolled ankle?

Usually that’s simply a discomfort without risk of further injury in which case he just sits out the exhibition games next week and plays as usual in the tournament.

Reply #921708 | Report this post

Ryan  
Last year

Goulding is a lock regardless of how he actually shoots the ball.

In the end, he's going to be picked for his shooting reputation. Being known as a world class shooter who can catch fire at any moment completely changes the way opponents can defend the Boomers when he steps onto the floor. Opponents will have to stay air tight on him at all times, even if he has shot 0/10 so far, just because of his ability to catch fire on a moments notice.

Watch the warm up games this week and see how the spacing changes when CG enters the game. Teams are scared of him. Sure his D is lackluster, but the aim when you throw him out there is more about giving the other Boomers room to operate more than it is Goulding scoring himself. When you put him in the game on a world stage it is a bet that you are going to out run and gun the opponent for those minutes.

Reply #921712 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Why Perthworld? I don't understand this mentality.

Delly is a legend who grinded like crazy but at his age now and with the stature he achieved I would have liked to see him end it on his own terms rather than be cut.

Reply #921715 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

His own terms were he wanted to try out. I give him kudos for still having the hunger and desire to compete. Nothing but respect for him.

Reply #921717 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Fair enough.

I do recognise that since the Boomers face wildly varying levels of talent throughout each four year cycle it throws a spanner in the works because he could still play in the Asia zone.

Reply #921720 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Was it worth giving Baynes another crack? Experienced and a big body for international style.

Reply #921722 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

"Why Perthworld? I don't understand this mentality."

Me too.

This classic Delly mentality. Not giving up. Always having a go. That's Delly. He will always be a Boomers legend, regardless of whether he made it onto this team or not.

I'd hoped there was space for him as an assistant coach in this World Cup.

Reply #921736 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"Was it worth giving Baynes another crack? Experienced and a big body for international style."

Without giving too much information and being a bit unfair, there is more to the situation as to why Baynes wasn't included. Let's just say you dont have a near media blackout over an injury if it's just a slip in the shower. Look a bit deeper there.

Reply #921745 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

The more Boomers news I come across the more locked I think Chris Goulding is. You cant find any talk anywhere of Goulding losing his spot. It's all Cooks v White, and then if they push a bit further, Josh Green and Dyson Daniels come into the mix. I don't know if these media sources know anything beyond speculation but from Goorjians words, to the media, you'd have to think Chris Goulding is there.

Reply #921746 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

What more to the Baynes situation?

Reply #921748 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Insurance reasons?

Reply #921753 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Well it's private and personal information but without going into details I can say it was a mental health event that led to everything that transpired that day and one that I believe the Boomers were mindful of when electing not to invite him to camp. This is why there was a great mystery around what exactly happened when he was injured. Obviously some things are impolite to talk about. Grown, able bodied men don't tend to slip in the shower..

Reply #921755 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

I wouldn't say there has been a blackout on Baynes injury. ESPN did a pretty thorough write-up on it. They reported that it happened between the 3rd and 4th quarters of a game against Italy am when he slipped as he was rushing to the bathroom:

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/33153946/the-mysterious-fall-harrowing-story-nba-center?platform=amp

Reply #921765 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

FWIW it didn't happen between 3rd and 4th as Baynesy was still on the bench at that time. He left the bench when there was a time-out late in the game.

Reply #921767 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Second to what Me has said. For the squad to keep focus was truly testament to their leadership. It's great that he is back on court.

Reply #921770 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

What placing is a pass mark for the boomers? What's a failure?

Reply #921775 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

id say a medal is a pass mark, anything less is failure.

Reply #921780 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Tough competition though.

USA, Canada, France are better than Australia

Reply #921782 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

There is a bit of luck involved in medalling. A lot of good teams at the tournament capable of final four.

Reply #921783 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Well they're better on paper. A lot remains to be seen. Definitely we have some obstacles on our side of the draw with Slovenia second group opponent and one of France, Spain or Canada in a crossover. If we beat both Slovenia and Vrnezeuala who are likely to come out of the opposing group we will have the good fortune of matching with the lesser of the two evils to come out of the France and Canads situation.

With Canada it bares mentioning that Jamal Murray likely will pull out. I believe Corey Joseph already has and as has one of their big men. They also dropped a warm up game to Germany. And while it's only a warm up game, it's some sort of feedback for where they are right now. Canada has never put together a good national team. I still have questions on them.

France just smashed Lithuania by 18 in a warm up. Grain of salt of course but they're a worry.

Reply #921784 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Agree with ME, I dont really see Canada as much of a threat as what it looks like on paper. And also feel we can get past France.

Reply #921785 | Report this post

Germany is another team to watch. They beat Canada in a recent warm-up match. The World Cup will feature Franz Wagner, Dennis Schroder and Daniel Theis, who did not compete at the Tokyo Olympics.

Reply #921786 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Yeah Germany will be tough Franz is the real deal!

Reply #921788 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

In an interview with Olgun Uluc released today, Goorjian, when asked about Giddey said "he needs shooters around him like Goulding"

Given that he specified CG as an example, it would appear that he's a lock for the WC.

So the final cut is looking more likely one of Cooks, White....or?

Whoever it is, it'll be an unfortunate case of position overload.
Given the obvious disappointment for the unlucky final cut, let's hope that they make themselves available in future.

Reply #921793 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think the interview was a few days ago but just released but I think Goulding is now about as much of a lock as it gets.

Reply #921797 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Germany are well coached and their bigs and wings are formidable, their guards not as much, a lot will depend on Schroder who can be very hot and cold. Boomers should get this game and win the group.

Reply #921800 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

"id say a medal is a pass mark, anything less is failure."

It's probably worthwhile mentioning that we had a relatively easy run in Tokyo to win a medal. The Olympics is a very small tournament. The Boomers played only 6 games, losing 1, not really needing to take any major scalps except a not-so-intimidating Argentina team (although that was an impressive crushing) with an all-time Boomers heroic performance to win the bronze against a decent, inexperienced in major tournaments, Slovenian team.

The World Cup will be a lot more challenging. I still rank the 2019 World Cup performance -- in both their form as a team and the final result -- as better than than the Bronze in Tokyo. We have a deeper team than Tokyo, but we still need to make significant improvements -- especially in our offense -- if we expect to medal in the World Cup. I don't know if we can rely on Mills so much once again.

I'd say top 5 is a success, but it'd hurt so much to get 4th again.

Reply #921809 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I would agree with rjd. An Olympic medal was a monumental achievement, and a testament to a lot of blood, sweat and tears, and the culmination of three very solid tournaments. But on its own, we didn't face a Spain or France in a medal game or a knockout. We didn't face any physically big teams. We kind of just beat who we were meant to beat.

I can see two scary games in particular before we even get to the semis - Slovenia and then one of either France/Canada or Spain. We have a better team than we had in Tokyo but I think this thing could go one of many ways.

The Boomers are setting out to medal, so they've set their own pass mark. For me top 8 is the lowest minimum standard for success and would be meeting the "beating everyone you SHOULD" baseline that I think applies here and would make the performance comparable to Tokyo. But I see the Boomers as one of 5-6 teams that can legitimately medal. I would be pretty disappointed if we lost a quarterfinal match up but I'd at least appreciate that it's against an incredibly tough side. But I do think the Boomers can get the job done against pretty much anyone out there, regardless of names on paper. Years of culture and camrederie and know how count for something.

Reply #921815 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

World Cup will be tougher than Olympics even though the team is better.

Unfortunately all is takes is one loss to a great euro team and some might consider failure.

Reply #921822 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think we're going to be too athletic than Slovenia but I am concerned about our size in the quarters. Goorjian has really committed to a team that is going to run and gun and I think that will really frustrate European temas but if they manage to slow the game down and go to their inside strengths we may have some issues there. The question for me at the moment is do we double down on our speed and drop a white/cooks or do we go for a bit more size and drop a Daniels/Green?

Reply #921824 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's a knock out tournament. It's not the NBA playoffs and best-of-7. Anything can happen.

But, the Boomers has one of the best rosters, and have the experience of consistently performing well over the past 3 major tournaments.

If

- A 50/50 call goes our way
And
- Patty hits a free throw

Aussies would most likely have Olympic Bronze, World Cup Gold, Olympic Bronze. Which is the best stretch of any non-USA team since maybe the 80s pre dream team era

That does give me confidence

Reply #921825 | Report this post

Giddey / Exum / Daniels
Mills / Green / Goulding
Thybulle / Ingles
Kay / Cooks
Landale / Reath

This is my final list after watching and thinking about the media.

Reply #921826 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I still rank the 2019 World Cup performance -- in both their form as a team and the final result -- as better than than the Bronze in Tokyo.

It's not even an argument.

Reply #921828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Giddey / Exum / Daniels
Mills / Green / Goulding
Thybulle / Ingles
Kay / Cooks
Landale / Reath
Would that be the Boomers team for a major tournament with the most current NBA players?

Reply #921829 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yes and inversely the Boomers team with the least amount of current NBL players.

Reply #921834 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

and zero European-based players for some time as well, since the non-NBAers all play in Asia.

Reply #921835 | Report this post

The biggest thing to watch out for right now is injury. I've been watching warm-up match of different teams and there are quite a few injuries.

Reply #921850 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Germany looking very very good atm

Reply #921851 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Australia are stronger than Germany, should be a great game though.

Reply #921852 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

On paper, maybe, DM. But, by that logic, Canada should play the US in the final, and yet Canada always manages to under-achieve.

We won't know until the final whistle..

Reply #921853 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Because of so many opt outs/players not nominating Canada on paper haven't been good until this upcoming World Cup....

It’s like saying NZ on paper should be better because of Adams even though he has never nominated to play

Reply #921859 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

NZ probably over-achieves because of how few it has playing in the NBA and Europe

Reply #921861 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Germany just beat China by 49, and have beaten Canada. I think we underestimate them at our peril. We may be favoured to win that game but I am not feeling as safe about it as I was a few days ago.

"Because of so many opt outs/players not nominating Canada on paper haven't been good until this upcoming World Cup....

It's like saying NZ on paper should be better because of Adams even though he has never nominated to play"

I expect more outs. I think culture matters and they've not had a winning culture. Their warm up form isn't scintilating either. They sent out a pretty nice team in 2019 and failed to qualify for the cup, losing out to Czech Republic. Yes, this team could be a whole lot better but there is a lot to consider when making a good team and I am yet to see anything from them. Obviously theyre a team you pencil in as being a potential problem but I think they're more likely to come back down to the pack than they are to be world beaters.

Reply #921862 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"The French national team suffered another loss ahead of the upcoming 2023 FIBA World Cup. The French Basketball Federation announced that Frank Ntilikina would not compete in the tournament. "

That's due to injury. A lot of injuries right now. praying the Aussies get through safe and ready.

Reply #921864 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Canada beat Germany by one point in OT.

Germany's ball movement and shooting was very impressive.
Definitely going to be a very competitive matchup for the Boomers.

Canada are going to go far far in the tournament, and if/when Murray returns, will be legit medal contenders

Reply #921892 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

The problem for the Boomers if we have 3 genuine medal contenders in Spain, France and Canada waiting for us in the quarterfinals. I feel like our medal game is the quarters - win that and we go on to one of USA, Serbia, Lithuania or Italy in the Semis. Assuming we're the best placed quarters member then we should miss USA, giving us a very good chacne to beat a depleted Serbia, a relatively middle of the pack Lithuania (this year) or Italy who will be good, but we should be favoured to win.

Germany and Slovenia are wildcards on this path and I think maybe we should worry more about Germany than Slovenia at this point. Slovenia look like a one man band and as great as Doncic is, I'd take that prospect over having to face France.

It's going to be a tough tournament.

Reply #921909 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Gazy thinks Reath will be cut, cmon man...
He said it on radio last week too.

Reply #921919 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

*No* chance Reath is getting cut. What is Drewy thinking???

Reply #921930 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Losing his mind as he has gotten older, just watch the free agent vids on YouTube..

Reply #921931 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Can't see Reath getting cut.

Reply #921933 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Drewy might be trying to stir things up in the clickbait obsessed media. With only two centres in the team there isn't a hope in hell Reath was going to be cut and he's playing real well tonight too.

Reply #921934 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Boomers can win it with their defence.

Reply #921935 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Goulding been injured 3 times in this game alone...

Reply #921936 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Vasljevic or proctor worth a late call?

Reply #921937 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I think White will be cut, based on his performance and fitting in tonight.

Reply #921940 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I'd risk it, hope green shoots well and cut Goulding, looked way off.

Reply #921942 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Daniels is possibly the one, his position is more than covered and he needs time to develop a niche in the FIBA game. What does he bring to the offence against good teams?

He might get taken as a future pick, which would be perfectly understandable, but if it's 12 spots picked for now I think he misses.

Reply #921943 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah, might be the dementia setting in on Drewey. There's no way Reath is on the bubble of anything. As far as I can see your cuts are between Chris Goulding, Dyson Daniels and Jack White.

As for the game, it oscillated between moments of brilliance and absolute havoc and carnage out there. Far more turnovers than you would like to see against a good team. But the Boomers defense was incredible and their energy will push a lot of teams out of their comfort zone.

Questions for me are:

- Giddey at point, once again moments of brilliance but can look abit too loose with it. Is he actually ready to steer the ship or did he need more help? Could there be cause to send a bat signal out to Delly who can bring calm and composure at times when needed and have him take one of the last Goulding/Daniels type spots?

- Three point shooting. There was no real three point game to speak of. They hit a couple but what will happen when a team doesn't let the Boomers run and they need to be knocking off threes? I have questions about their ability to do that consistently.

- Pattys role. A potentially 'good' sign may be the lessened reliance on Patty shown in this game. Sure, todays rotations are unlikely to be replicated in the world cup, but ideally you want an offense that doesn't rely just on one man and I think we saw signs that we're going to have more weapons this time around. I also like the look of Ingles of the bench.

-

Final thoughts: Deep roster here. Looks like everyone can defend at a high level and really push the pace. There were moments reminiscent here of Team USA in the ability to just overwhelm and plow over a team. But I still think we're a few elements away from that gold medal standard we've set for ourselves, whether that comes over the next few weeks remains to be seen. But a 53 point win is nothing at all to sneeze at, and a true devils advocate/pessimist like me could see too many fatal flaws in that performance. The fact that France beat this team only by 20 a few weeks ago gives us some frame of reference for where he Boomers game tonight might stand in comparison to where France is at at this point in time, who would be among the measuring sticks of the competition. But overall, a lot of great signs, a lot of signs rhat should worry our adversaries, but also plenty that needs ironing out and certainly some questions moving forward that need answering.

Reply #921945 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I get the feeling Giddey will have to deal with physicality, Boomers have to find more three point shooters, and they will have side issues.

Not sure how they'll get around those three things sufficiently, certainly hope they do though

Reply #921946 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

A good way to sum up the game there, ME.

From an outsider looking it, the fact that Daniels didn't play a minute of the first half, and when he was on, didn't quite look mature enough for him to have a proper role on the team, says to me that he may be cut.

Maybe they pick him just to get experience into him, but Goorj had a similar situation with Giddey in 2021 and cut him.

Reply #921947 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

Yeah I tend to agree Weedy. Definitely a solid risk/reward scenario to backing the shooting of Mills, Ingles, Kay, Landale, Green and Thybulle, and filling out the rest of the roster with playmaking, athletic defender types.

Reply #921948 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

(Omitting Goulding that is)

Reply #921949 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Its very early and only one game but we can only assess on what we're shown. Both Landale and Green have the propensity to hit three pointers, and Patty/Joe played far fewer minutes in this game than they will in the cup so concerns around shooting may not be 'that' warranted. Bares mentioning most of this absolute demolition was done by our second unit. What I am truly loving though is the defence.

Reply #921951 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

Who is going to run the team when Giddey is on the bench?

Daniels and Exum both had a go, but neither looked great. Mills? Ingles?

Reply #921954 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Mills.

Reply #921955 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

It will have to be Mills or Ingles I don't think Exum or Daniels are up to running the team

Reply #921958 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The way they play though, it's a pretty quick initiation into the offence, it's not like anyone is going to be pounding the rock very often.

Reply #921961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754