GordonG
Last year

Boomers Wednesday Game - Time Change

The Australian Boomers will change their game time at Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday night from 7.45pm to a 5.30pm tip-off. Australia will take on Brazil at the earlier time to allow fans to watch the Matildas semi-final match.

Australian Captain Patty Mills AM supports the change to an earlier game time to allow fans to get behind the Matildas.

"The Matildas have really captured the nation this World Cup, including a men's national basketball team. The way the ladies play with so much heart and passion has been so inspiring to witness.

"Just like the rest of the country, our Boomers team have been locked in for each game, watching it as a team and enjoying every part of supporting and celebrating these incredible athletes.

"Supporting our fellow Australian athletes is crucial, so moving our game was an easy decision. We are now super excited to join the rest of Australia in watching the ladies on Wednesday after we play our second game in Melbourne. Up the Tillies!" Mills declared.

The game between Venezuela and South Sudan will now be held at 7.45pm.

There is no requirement for fans to change their tickets they are still valid for both games.

All fans will be able to watch the Matildas across the road from Rod Laver Arena where the Official Live Site at AAMI Park will screen the game from 8pm.

**NEW GAME TIMES**
Match
Australia v Brazil Wed 16 Aug 5:30pm
South Sudan v Venezuela Wed 16 Aug 7:45pm

END.

Topic #51303 | Report this topic

Knockdown3  
Last year

No mention of refund for those now unable to attend?
Insensitive given the exorbitant ticket prices.

Reply #921884 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last year

Knockdown3 , family member rang them this morning as the time change stopped them from being able to attend till after second half at earliest , they were given a full refund plus the booking fees they had payed , no issues no jumping through hoops , was offered to her before she asked for it , so seems there more than happy to give refunds ,

Hope that helps if you need a refund

Reply #921888 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Good to hear Gazee.
Thanks for the info.
Glad it was straight forward.

Reply #921889 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

The right decision all things considered.

Reply #921891 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah i think i need to do this too unfortunately. My babysitter can't make it until 6pm. meaning at BEST I can get there at half time. Not great for $150

Reply #921895 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last year

Ring them cram my cousin she had zero issues getting a refund

Reply #921896 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Cheeky early exit from the office for me - to be honest shame they didn't knock it back to 5.45. Makes it a little less ridiculous.

Reply #921899 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It should be 6pm.

Reply #921900 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Last year

I'm glad that the refunds are posing no problems, I hope that everyone is able to hear about the time change who bought tickets... Would suck for those that can't make it, but this really is a great decision and glad that Patty is front and centre saying how they all need to support each other as it's an amazing time for the Matildas...

Reply #921902 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

the second game would be fun to watch

Reply #921903 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

As someone affected which means I can now no longer go i still think it was a good decision.

Meanwhile, trying to get onto my mate who bought the tickets to get him to get a refund. Damn those people who actually concentrate at work and ignore their phones.

Reply #921904 | Report this post

+  
Last year

so FIFA will start rescheduling games for big FIBA games ?
I'm all support for the Matildas but when all your juniors are at soccer try outs not basketball.................

Experience tells me AFL and FIFA won't change to suit FIBA / NBL.

Reply #921957 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

That's not really relevant, and this is not FIBA, it's BA. The reality here was BA could stick at the original time and have next to no TV viewers, or change it, get some positive publicity about supporting the Matildas and have a chance to get a reasonable TV audience.

Reply #921960 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Here's hoping the goodwill is reciprocated then.

Reply #921997 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Managed to switch our tickets for Thursday night. Now I get to watch both games properly. Win win

Reply #922007 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Awesome

Reply #922012 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

To be fair, this is a world cup semi final and we are currently playing warm up games. Different level of importance and a show of good will and acknowledgement to what the matildas are doing creates good publicity. But annoyingly, no, the Boomers won't receive the same in return. For whatever reason the media and general public are far more ready to embrace soccer than basketball. Maybe it's still largely considered an American sport? I don't know. I know the Boomers did fairly well with ratings at the Olympics but I'd be surprised if the Boomers games rate above 100K viewers at rhe cup per game. Sad but true.

Reply #922020 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Last night got 76,000 metro viewers but I guess FTA would get more than ESPN can get on Foxtel anyway. For what it's worth the Opals got 75,000 for their World Cup Semi Final last year.

Reply #922021 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Where did you get the ratings from? I think that's a bit disappointing. Could it also be due to being on a secondary channel?

Reply #922037 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

https://tvtonight.com.au/2023/08/monday-14-august-2023.html

Just keep in mind although the game last night only got 76k it still outrated anything on Foxtel last night including AFL 360.

Reply #922038 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I didn't even know it was on and I’m normally on top of these thinks, no publicity at all as far as I could see.
Can someone confirm where to watch and time please, thanks.

Reply #922041 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Yeah, got it from TVtonight, had to go back a bit for the Opals.

Reply #922042 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Imagine if they can knockoff Bluey one day, what an achievement that will be

Reply #922045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754