Perthworld
Last year

FIBA World Cup 2023

This is a general tournament thread for anything non-Boomers specific.

Day 1 has been blowout central so far.

I'm interested to see how much our mortal enemy and host nation Philippines can suck in front of a home crowd. I bet on the Dominicans at -3.5 points when the line opened and now it is closing around 10.5.

Topic #51341 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last year

Sotto is matched up on Karl Anthony-Towns. This should be good.

Reply #923238 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Gaze calling on the world feed for Germany vs Japan

Reply #923239 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Germany are big but won't be athletic enough to compete with Australia.

Reply #923240 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Left the German game at 3/4 time, Germany not as good as their press.

Both Canada and France looking very good in the first quarter.

Reply #923248 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Canada by three at the half, very physical enjoyable game, Fournier keeping France in this. Canada looking more likely to win this.

Reply #923255 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Philippines lose although the narrow scoreline flatters them since Dominicana missed a lot of free throws going 23/34.

Love getting that early line of -3.5, it blowing out to -11.5 would have resulted in a loss.

Reply #923256 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Canada running away with it now after a 16-4 start to the third quarter.

Reply #923257 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

This is a massacre.

Reply #923258 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

France looking long in the tooth. Not much happening outside of Fournier trying to do stuff solo.

Reply #923259 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last year

The wheels have fallen off France's game. Canada disrupting their sets

Reply #923260 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Canada's NBA guys are a good mix of role players around an all-round talent like SGA. They looked rough early, but they are in the groove now.

Reply #923261 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Embarassing level of effort from France

Reply #923262 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Canada looking lethal

I'm not concerned with Germany, they don’t have the depth or talent to go 4 quarters with the boomers

Reply #923266 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Last year

Slightly off topic but is there something wrong with these floors at this event or are they just not getting wiped up regularly enough?

I've never seen so many players slipping over. Watched both the Boomers/Finland and Canada/France matches and noticed there seemed to be a lot more than in a normal game. Serious injury concerns.....

Reply #923269 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

France next gen, next year...

Reply #923270 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

My thoughts too, Shaggy

Time to rip off the decals?

Reply #923272 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Wow. What a performance by Canada. Obviously some big games to go, but this might be the tournament I start believing it!

Reply #923273 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

I didn't realise CJ was coaching the Philippines. Good on him.

Reply #923277 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

France are getting old I think. Can be worn down. This pretty much solidifies Canada as number 1 seed and one Australia would hope to miss.

Reply #923278 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Why wasn't Gaze on the call with Case and Trevblast night? Or was he on another feed?

He would’ve been great as a second wheel to Casey. Trev’s voice is rough, but with his insight you could overlook that if he’s not relied on as much to speak.

Reply #923281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

JCK98 wrote:

Gaze calling on the world feed for Germany vs Japan

I don't get it either - everyone assumed it would be a threesome and rightfully so as the dynamics would have been perfect.

Perhaps in the later stages this will be the setup?

Reply #923282 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Imagine the hysteria on hoops.fr right now.

Reply #923283 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"Imagine the hysteria on hoops.fr right now."

Hysteria implies it's unwarranted. I think any concerns for France right now are very much warranted.

Reply #923284 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Why wasn't Gaze on the call with Case and Trevblast night? Or was he on another feed?

Gaze was on the world feed for the Finland game going by the highlights off of FIBA's YouTube channel.

So he pulled a double shift like all of the other world feed crew. Perhaps ESPN didn't offer enough yet they sneakily mentioned him in their press release with Casey and Gleeson as if he was part of the local team?

Reply #923286 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Hysteria implies it's unwarranted. I think any concerns for France right now are very much warranted.

True, I just wanted to use that word.

Although France can still go through, it's only one loss, as Canada are potentially that good.

Reply #923287 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

I know it would never happen because of parochial fervour, but personally, I'd prefer ESPN/Kayo used neutral commentators for the boomers games.

I find it interesting to hear a neutral, non biased perspective on the Boomers from commentators with no (apparent) investment in either team.
A Mike Breen & Van Gundy type combo would be ideal.

Reply #923288 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

For France to go through any game against Spain in a crossover is a must-win.

Reply #923289 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

can still go through = can still go FAR

Reply #923290 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah they definitely can. But I think you have to see that game as a big warning sign for their tournament and says to me they can run down by younger, more athletic teams. They can get knocked out before the quarters by Spain now.

As far as Australia goes who would we prefer in quarters, France or Spain?

I feel like we're due a win against Spain by now.

Reply #923291 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Definitely overdue for a win against Spain.
If we do face them, I really hope the refs dont fall for their characteristic trademark flopping.
It cost us a medal in Rio, and Rubio made sure that the trend continued in the previous WC

Reply #923292 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah I am not unhappy that Rubio is out. A lot of his bullshit was very costly. He is the Chris Goulding of international basketball.

Reply #923294 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Rubio showed me in 2019 how much of a grub he was, certainly the worst of them. Everything was targeted at the refs, and they often fell for it. Some might admire his ability in this area, just like they might admire Harden for the same thing, but I think it makes the game look bad and should be stamped out.

Reply #923295 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Spain have aged so probably them? France against Canada could just be a blip of a game.

Looking at the FIBA rankings personally I find it bullshit we as #3 seeds can face #1 Spain in the quarter final stage.

Reply #923296 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

ME, I think you're being unfair to Goulding in that comparison. Goulding might flop, but he doesn’t get in the refs faces and let them know how incompetent he thinks they are. (And Rubio knows that he’s got one of the most powerful political machines behind him whenever he plays FIBA ball.)

Reply #923297 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Agree Hoopie.
Rubios' influence over the refs in FIBA was overt.
Not all refs fall for Goulding's flopping, which has reduced in recent years.

Reply #923298 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Lets be honest, Spain DID NOT beat Australia fair and square in 2019 or 2016. The refs had a big hand in all of it. My fear against Spain is we're going to have to be a lot better than them to beat them because they always have a 6th man on court.

Reply #923299 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I'm paranoid it's all been set up for us to be their whipping boys again.

Reply #923300 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Well Spain v France in the second group is definitely 50/50. I might be more confident against France than Spain atm as Spain may be more suited to our playstyle. I think over 40 minutes we'd wear France down.

Reply #923301 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

If I look for upsides as far as any match against Canada may go for us, is that Canada may already be peaking. Australia clearly has other levels it can go to so we're not seeing the Boomers at the best, but does Canada, and are theys showing our scouts everything they have already? I know talent on floor is hard to beat, this is really me just trying to see what edge we 'may' hold in a game against them. I think we saw Australia last night at 60-70 percent tops. has Canada already shown us 100?

Reply #923302 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

NZ vs USA tonight. Pretty much just damage control and try to get some rhythm going for Jordan and Greece

If they can keep it within 30 that's prob a good result

Reply #923310 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah I feel for New Zealand, it's basically, at best, an NBL bench plus a few development players against... well... the United bloody States. Any form of competitiveness should be treated as a win here. Gotta feel for them though, they've been shorthanded with both draw and player ommissions. This will be anything from 30-50+ point wipe out.

Reply #923313 | Report this post

tomtankman  
Last year

https://m.basketnews.com/news-193574-fiba-world-cup-2023-predictions-winners-mvp-and-dark-horse.html

International journos have no idea. Australia is always underrated. We will wipe the floor with France, Serbia, Italy snd Spain. Only US and Canada can challenge us.

Our PG is elite. Exum, Thybulle and Green are shutdown defenders. Mills is an offensive weapon in FIBA. Ingles is the smartest Basketball player on the planet. White/Cooks/Reath/Kay can hold their own.

This happens every WC and Olympics. We barely get a mention. It's like they forget we are even here

Reply #923314 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah I just had a look, they pick Slovenia because they've heard of Luka Doncic. Tey pick France because people have been saying France around them. They pickk Germany because Germany have had a good warm up. But the most consistent world team of the past decade? Nah... who are they?

Journalists don't necessarily know basketball. I don't see Slovenia getting to the quarters and if they do, I think they'll lose that game. Slovenia, the one man show against Spain, France or Canada? Not happening.

Reply #923315 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I read an article in the German press, had Australia v USA in the final with Australia second, Germany were fifth.

Reply #923318 | Report this post

Vander18  
Last year

Australia v Canada would make for a ripping game.

Very evenly matched. Both very strong 1-3, they may have a little more quality at the 4-5 spots, we have a little more international experience and have more guys who have played together for longer.

Reply #923323 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Canada looked quality at both ends. Lived up to the talent on their roster

That's a statement game from them.

Reply #923325 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Early on I thought both Canada and France looked real average in the halfcourt, but as soon as Canada got some momentum they were off to the races.

Reply #923329 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I saw a Chinese article that actually put CHINA in the conversation for a medal, completely ignored Australia, spoke of Spain, USA, France and Canada, nevermind that half of those countries will cancel themselves out in the quarters. I am not sure why we still get no respect. I remember in 2016 we were coming with an NBA starting 5 and we were ranked NINTH in most people's estimations. I knew from the start we were going to do better thaan ninth. I think really we're maybe still another medal away from being certified in the world's eyes. I think most basketball heads know Australia is a very good basketball nation but to get in that top echeleon people may want us stamped again with another medal.

Reply #923331 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

The floor strikes again, to South Sudan's disadvantage

Reply #923337 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

SSD- PuertoRico
What a game!

5 second violation on SSD who hesitated on the inbound because a player slipped.
That's tough.
He didn't slip on a decal, just on the wood.
What is it with these courts?
The rims sound unforgiving. Definitly not shooters rims.

Reply #923338 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Oh man, some nervous missed FTs there.

Reply #923339 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

OT!!!

Reply #923340 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Great hustle from PR is going to get them over the line. Feel bad for SSD but great effort overall and just some bad mistakes down the stretch in regular time that saw the game slip away.

Reply #923341 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Agree Angus.
Conversely, SSD couldnt execute in OT. Looks like pressure got to them.
Nice to see Dech and Deng on court.

Surprised Gary Browne isn't playing for Puerto Rico

Reply #923342 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Have to feel for SSD but they did well to keep fighting through it. Welcome to world basketball.

Reply #923343 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Prayers up to New Zealand in a few hours.

Reply #923345 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

I don't think France has dropped off, I’d say they still one of the best 4 teams in the tourney - doesn’t mean they will finish 4th, but still one of the best 4 teams playing!

Canada’s is scary good, too much offensive talent, they like the Golden state warriors of FIBA

Reply #923347 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Yeah it's going to be brutal for NZ unfortunately...

Reply #923348 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah I expect nothing less than a massacre. It's sad too because with New Zealands best possible squad they could at least give USA something to think about maybe for a quarter or two - a half being generous. But this NZ team is really just a few NBL bench and development players. It feels like a crime against basketball that such a match is allowed to take place.

Reply #923350 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

If everyone was available who else plays for NZ?

Webster Bros
Abercrombie
Steven Adams
Loe (despite being "retired" might make it? but surplus to requirements if they had Adams and Wetzell)

Who else?

Reply #923351 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Greg Hire played a few games in NZ, surely that would qualify for citizenship?

Reply #923352 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Best they could have put forward, probably...

Webster / Ili
Webster / Leafa / Cameron
Abercrombie / Te Rangi
Delany / Fotu / Waardenburg
Adams / Wetzell

Future looks bright though

Russo-Nance
Murray
King?
Book
Gapare
Fotu
Gold
Mennenga
Halaifonua
Etc etc

Reply #923353 | Report this post

LAKingsKempe  
Last year

Why no Sam waardenburg for NZ ? I know why no Websters and Adam's. Also Tommy V ? Thought he would be ahead of Ngatai

Reply #923354 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

NZ very competitive and making the US look like arse.

Reply #923355 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

Te Rangi's career game!
Had enough of bringing the Phoenix down to his normal level.

Reply #923356 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

China are complete time wasters at this level.

Reply #923358 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

What's the reason for no Webster's - is it vaccination status?

NZ doing a hell of a lot better than I expected but feels like things are on the verge of spiralling out of control if they can't get some momentum to start the third.

Reply #923359 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

The fact NZ are hanging around makes me feel ok...

Reply #923360 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Well NZ was much more competitive than they had any right to be, and moreso than a 27 point scoreline would suggest. You really have to credit their tenacity and will to fight. But I also hav to question the USA a little bit. New Zealand is something of a mid-tier team at this tournament, respectfully. And the scoreline is bigger than it deserved to be. I think USA will have problems when they come across the top tier teams.

Reply #923362 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

No disrespect at all to NZ - they put up a very good fight - but if you have to play the US in a world cup then I think it's advantageous to catch them as early as possible.

Reply #923363 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Oh Waardenburg of course. Where's he.

Quality effort NZ

Sucks for SSD. They could've had a real chance of 2nd round if they'd won

Reply #923368 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Waardenburg played a practice game for Cairns last night, Cairns very undermanned and got hammered by Brisbane.

Reply #923369 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Slovenia only won by 15 against Venezuela?!

Reply #923371 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah, Slovenia only beat them by 15. I don't think they're that good this time around. Doncic will give you 30 still but he hasnt got enough help. I don't see them being too big a test for us in the crossover.

Reply #923372 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Puerto Rico's shooting in the clutch was of concern. Some good players for SSD.

Reply #923375 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Last year

USAs pick and roll defence wasn't great. Better teams are going to cook them in those scenarios. Save for a bad 4th quarter, NZ were on pace to score 80-odd, which for the kind of team they have is a worrying sign for the USA defensively.

Also unsure why Fotu played so little given I always thought he was going to be their best player

Reply #923380 | Report this post

Very little news in China about the Serbia China game.

Less even about Li Kaier lol.

Reply #923386 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Very little news in China about the Serbia China game.

Did CCTV cut the transmission midway through?
Less even about Li Kaier lol.

Oh my, he looked absolutely shell shocked on the bench over the battering, did this fool not even perform a little bit of research before naturalising and assumingly revoking his US citizenship? Whoops.

Reply #923394 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Dominican Republic with a big scalp, 87-82 over Italy. KAT and Feliz with 24 each.

Reply #923564 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I'm hoping for an Angola upset against the Philippines to dull tonight's loss.

Reply #923570 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Philippines eliminated.

Japan made an epic comeback, going on a 20-5 run, against Finland. Currently still in the fourth quarter.

Reply #923621 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

That Japan game ... wow.
Very cool for the host nation.

Reply #923637 | Report this post

kbev  
Last year

Wow, France are out! Great win by Latvia

Reply #923657 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I would love to see more of these EuroBasket-style matchups in the World Cup.

Reply #923659 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

France was probably overrated heading into this tournament.

Last year in Eurobasket, they went 3-2 in the group stage including a 13 point loss to Germany.

They won in Overtime in two finals - the round of 16, and again in the quarter final (Turkey and Italy).

Lost the final by 12 to Spain, and the only time they led was 1-0. Spain got out to a 20+ lead, France got it back to 3 early in the 3rd before Spain kicked away again and won comfortably.

France came into the WC missing their starting PG Heurtel who averaged 10 and 7 (banned because he plays in Russia). Their main guys are all in their 30's and a year older (Batum, De Colo, Gobert, Fournier).

Looking at it now, I'm not sure why they were such favourites.

Plus they got another group of death, like Australia did. Latvia is good. If there's a Euro team in the world cup, I operate under the assumption they're probably pretty decent and capable of beating anyone on their day, and that certainly seems to be the case here.

Reply #923677 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Great summary re: France.

Reply #923752 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

LeAfa & Delaney playing well against Jordan.
Walter Brown getting minutes as well.

Reply #923812 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Kiwi's up by 9 at the half.
Struggling with the Jordanians size and length inside for the most part but raining 3’s.

Reply #923816 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

China with a -62 points differential after group phase play, even with a naturalised player.

They haven't shown any improvement post Yao Ming era.

Reducing the number of spots for Asia would go a long way to increasing competitiveness in the World Cup although with Qatar hosting next it will mean another additional representative from the region.

Reply #923829 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I don't understand why China is always so bad. Lots of money, size, speed, shooting ability, ...

Is it poor coaching? The fact that their wacko league breeds bad habits and over-confidence? Fear of failure?

Reply #923840 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Over-confidence/delusion is definitely one factor.

Reply #923846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Rereading this thread because I wanted to go back and watch the Japan comeback game but couldn't remember who they played, and some of these posts aged...poorly.

International journos have no idea. Australia is always underrated. We will wipe the floor with France, Serbia, Italy snd Spain. Only US and Canada can challenge us.
Yeah, Slovenia only beat them by 15. I don't think they're that good this time around. Doncic will give you 30 still but he hasnt got enough help. I don't see them being too big a test for us in the crossover.

Reply #924748 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

China rejiggered alot of things last 2 years...
Expect a comeback at youth level probably starting at u16 asia champs…

Reply #924751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754