LV
Last year

Boomers- Path to the Quarters

Just making this a separate thread to clear some confusion and because this deserves a topic of it's own

If the Aussies want to make the quarter final, this path will *guarantee* it

- Defeat Slovenia by 4 or more

- Defeat Georgia

If we achieve this, Aussies will be 4-1.

It is impossible for Aussies to be 4-1 and there to be a 4 way tie. It would mean Georgia is at best 3-2.

So if Aussies are 4-1, the only tie possible is a 3 way tie between Germany, Australia and Slovenia.

In a 3 way tie, a maximum of 2 teams can have positive points differential. By defeating Slovenia by 4+, it would mean Australia has positive points differential on matches between the 3 tied teams.

Therefore we would go through.

If it wasn’t a 3 way tie, then Aussies would go through on W/L.

Either way, if we beat Slovenia by 4+ and beat Georgia, we would go through.

(The above assumes Slovenia and Georgia beat Venezuela and Cape Verde tonight).

Of course, an ideal scenario is Aus finishes 1st - which means we defeat Slovenia and Slovenia defeats Germany, and Aus has better points differential.

So lets beat Slovenia by as much as possible!

But the above path creates a *guaranteed* QF game.

Topic #51356 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Mind my ignitance but how do you land at 4 points and doesn't that change once slovenianplays Germsmy?

Reply #924123 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

We lost to Germany by 3

If we beat Slo by 4, we're +1 in games between Aus/Ger/Slo

In a 3 way tie we would go through

Reply #924125 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

If everyone wins by 3, it becomes a "points for" amongst those games

Reply #924127 | Report this post

pattymillsMVP  
Last year

Our two biggest matches outside of our own are:

Spain vs Canada. We finish second which is the likeliest outcome. We play Spain who are more beatable IMO. We then go on to get crushed by USA but at least we have a rose gold medal chance.

Slovenia vs Germany. As above a slight Slovenia win will allow us to have the opportunity to get to the top of the pool with the much nicer path to the final.

There's no doubt that the Slovenia match is our biggest though. We need to smash them and then leave it up to the basketball gods to decide in the Germany Slovenia game that will follow.

Reply #924135 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

and if all three teams end up with a 85-82 win each, meaning both a tied points differential and points for, then it goes to overall points difference in all games played.

Reply #924136 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Mods should snip a lot of the Japan game thread and put it in here.

Reply #924137 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

So ideally we want Slovenia to beat Germany by a little bit, and Australia to beat Slovenia by amount plus one to four points depending on how little Slovenia beat Germany.

Reply #924138 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

People say smashed by USA but I am not sure they're that good. I'd probably take them before Canada right now. USA have largely beaten easy teams we would also beat. Think we wouldn't best Tall Blacks by 20?

Reply #924139 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

So ideally we want Slovenia to beat Germany by a little bit, and Australia to beat Slovenia that amount plus 4 points.

^ correction

Reply #924140 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Yeah that would be the best-case scenario. The narrowest margins for us are Slovenia wins by 3 v Germany, we beat Slovenia by 4 and the points split is:

Australia +1
Germany 0
Slovenia -1

Reply #924142 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

So ideally we want Slovenia to beat Germany by a little bit, and Australia to beat Slovenia by amount plus one to four points depending on how little Slovenia beat Germany.

AUS margin of victory vs. SLO and subsequent result needed in GER-SLO to qualify:

1pt = GER win or SLO win by at least 6
2pt = GER win or SLO win by at least 5
3pt = GER win or SLO win by at least 4

Let's get greedy though...

For top spot in Group K:

4pt = SLO win by 3 or 4 because SLO by 2 goes to head-to-head tiebreaker between AUS and GER which we lose.

or

Ideally if the Boomers smash Slovenia then we won't have to worry about these fine margins.

Reply #924145 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

If we were to have squeaky bum time on Sunday due to SLO leading GER, after narrowly defeating them on Friday by one-to-three points as above, then the magic number to qualify would be seven - the sum of our tiny 1-3 point margin advantage on SLO plus the minimum number of points SLO would have to defeat GER by to put us through.

Reply #924146 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Another consideration is the amount of points we put up against Slovenia.

Let's say AUS-SLO and GER-SLO both end in three point margins, like AUS 82-85 GER did, in favour of AUS and SLO respectively then all three teams will have a points differential of +3 which goes to the 'points for' tiebreaker.

So we would want to score over 85 in this scenario.

Reply #924147 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Yeah I made the mistake of doing that math and now have a headache as a result.

Would love to beat Slovenia handily on Friday and the be comfortable with wanting Slovenia to beat Germany to reside #1 in the group.

That scenario, Australia would feel very good about themselves IMO

Reply #924148 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

I work with numbers all day at work and this post is giving me a headache... I will just sit and hope we win by a large number against Slo, but why am I not confident about this game?

Reply #924149 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I have the least amount of confidence in this boomers team that I have had for any boomers team in the last decade. If we can smack Slovenia it will go a long way to restoring that. It's definitely a danger game though. Any team with Luka is it is dangerous.

Reply #924150 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Less confidence in this team than the 2014 team? Now that group was a roller-coaster ride.

Reply #924151 | Report this post

It's about expectations.
We won an Olympic bronze medal in 2021. Expectations for the Basketball World Cup have risen.
We also expected synergy between top veteran players and talented young players.
However, I started to feel a little disappointed at the camp.
The coaching staff's team composition, strategy, and tactics were all below expectations.
Rather than relying too much on veterans, we hoped that young players would show improvement and become the center of the team.
Of course, winning against a top team is important, but there was disappointment that we still didn't see what we expected and wanted to see. That can be seen as the expectation.

Reply #924152 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The 2021 medal was the culmination of a long, successful era. From memory only Spain and Australia made the top four in 2016, 2019 & 2021, to show how good our team was.

Now we're transitioning from that era to the new one. I think the program is doing a good job of that, but we're not going to just roll out like a near-finished product like the past three tournaments, especially when losing Landale late. There's learning happening on the run.

They're still capable of making the top 4 and medalling, but that's a very tough thing to do at any major tournament. Hopefully this team can fix some of the issues that have popped up and get the wins needed in the second round.

Reply #924153 | Report this post

That's a good comment.

(In the 2021 Olympics, Spain was eliminated in the quarterfinals.)

Reply #924155 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think the fact there is a bit of a rebuild going on is a fair argument but at rhe same time, while they're talking gold medals, they very well could have chosen the team different to keep more of our experience. Goildiny couldn't have been cut for Delly? Couldn't have Baynes involved? I mean they did choose this route and now they're playing a bit of victim when it comes to criticism.

Reply #924158 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

There also would be less of a rebuild going on if we didn't push out the coach to suck up to a guy who isn't even in the team.

Reply #924164 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"(In the 2021 Olympics, Spain was eliminated in the quarterfinals.)"

Thanks Patty, you're spot on. That means the Boomers were the only team in the top four in 2016, 2019 & 2021, which is quite an achievement. Let's hope we can make it four in a row! Three more wins.

As has been pointed out, it's about finding better consistency within games because our best basketball is certainly good enough.

Reply #924167 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

There's no publicity or media $$$ if you mention the word 'rebuild’, so BA would never use it. After all, they’ve got a lot of jobs to protect LOL.

But I think you nailed it, ME and kobe

Reply #924168 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yeah I made the mistake of doing that math and now have a headache as a result.

I work with numbers all day at work and this post is giving me a headache.

You can imagine the headache I have now.

Reply #924170 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The players aren't using the word rebuild either because it's not, it's transitioning in some new pieces. The players firmly believe they can win gold, and that's a great thing.

Reply #924172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754