Isaac
Last year

2023 Mens World Cup - Gold Medal Game

Germany vs Serbia, 22:10 (Adelaide time) on Sunday.

Great campaigns by both teams. Germany undefeated after holding on against the USA. Serbia have been clinical despite one narrow defeat at the hands of Italy.

As usual, I'll stick to my "played their final" rationale and think Germany will struggle to back up, but it will be particularly impressive if they can win again now.

Serbia have looked like the supreme _team_ of the tournament however and I think it'd be hard to tip against them. Serbia by 16, IMO.

Predictions?

Topic #51381 | Report this topic

larrycucumber2  
Last year

Agreed, Serbia have looked great during the tournament (not that I have seen much of their games during pool stages) - so if I was a betting man I'd tip Serbia too.

Never count out the underdog though!

Reply #925375 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Serbia.

Reply #925388 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Has Germany played their final?? They lead all game and are undefeated for the tournament...

Serbia needs to get hot from 3 to win!

Reply #925410 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Germany 1.99 2.01 Serbia (Market % 100.00)

Hopefully the game is as tight as those odds!

Reply #925433 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Serbia by 4. Mostly because I have Serbian mates and it's easier to root for them.

In all honesty I just hope it’s an unreal game and does the Final justice.

Reply #925440 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

On the FIBA Insta page, 61% of votes are tipping Germany.

Im going with Serbia

Reply #925451 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Can Germany play that good again, Serbia slightly stronger bench. Let's hope it’s as good as the semi finals.
Serbia by two in what has been a fantastic tournament.

Reply #925484 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Serbia into favouritism now.

Reply #925487 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Just to be different going for Germany no logical reason but I like the brothers. What a fantastic week let's hope this a cracker as well

Reply #925489 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Intensity is certainly there to start the game.

Reply #925490 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Physicality is immense, Serbia not missing any shots, keep that going and it'll be good night

Reply #925492 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

These top euro team players have great knowledge and iq.

Reply #925493 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

USA lucky they got Canada instead. These two teams are furious.

If it wasn't already late, there’s probably a drinking game in having a drink each time they cut to Melo or Bird and they’re looking at their phone.

Reply #925494 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Great close game so far...

Reply #925495 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Unbelievable, 47all, love how tough they play. It's a pity there has to be a loser.

Reply #925496 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The execution by both teams is incredibly clean.

We are so behind these Euros.

Reply #925497 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

So struggle to see how anyone would rank NBL second best ..... bit like … nba world champs…

Reply #925498 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

It's not only boomers behind, US as well.

Gleeson absolutely great commentator and loving how the game is played.

Reply #925499 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Gaze needs to stop using how the rules are interpreted in the NBL as some sort of benchmark.

Reply #925500 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Flop by the Serbian player there, look like he was shot.

Reply #925501 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Serbia completely lost the plot there.

Reply #925502 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Three foul on Schroder could be telling.

Reply #925503 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Gleeson trying to ignore whatever the mascot was doing.

Reply #925504 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Appears the length of the Germany's is causing uncertainty

Reply #925505 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Early Oktoberfest?

Reply #925506 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Despite the name it starts on Saturday.

Reply #925507 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

That would be early...

Reply #925508 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Slightly and I don't believe that's what you meant as most people don't realise it runs in September ending at the beginning of October.

What a comeback by Serbia.

Reply #925509 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Maybe not.

Reply #925510 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I've been twice.

Reply #925511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

German defence in the paint has been impressive more often than not.

Schroder is a menace for Serbia to deal with.

Reply #925512 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Weird second half - Serbia have got their pants pulled down by Germany but still sort of in it?

Herbert was sacked by a Russian club before the war started and then hired as Germany coach. Plus he's Canadian (LOL USA).

Reply #925513 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I've been twice

Were you scouting German juniors?

I can't wait for the annual "It's not October yet" from the general public.

Reply #925514 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Congratulations Germany.

Reply #925515 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Onya Germany!

Reply #925516 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Yah I got it right for once. What a game, great week, is it the blitz next.

Reply #925517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Massive. To get though the USA and then Serbia, not dropping a game. Interior D, Bonga great through the middle stretches, Schroder excellent scoring but also shadowing Bogdan.

I didn't think they’d be able to back up after that US game. Thoroughly impressed.

Reply #925518 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Unbeaten winners, congratulations Germany and Serbia on a fantastic final. The Canadian- German coach is truly very clever. Schroder clearly the best player and other than the one game he stunk, probably the mvp of the tournament.

Octoberfest celebrates king Ludwig's birthday and goes for normally 16 days starting in September and finishing on the first Sunday in October.

Fantastic entertainment of the last weeks, well done fiba.

Reply #925519 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Coach will be poached after olympics.
Not much they can improve on, Germany one of the few teams with a full roster.
Hartenstein a slim chance maybe. Kleber?

Reply #925520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Basketball Reference has Duane Washington Jr as German-born. 8 PPG with Phoenix last year as a 22 yo?

Reply #925521 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #925522 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Herbert is the real deal unlike fake tough guy Goorjian.

The Germans don't need to trawl the NBA for players with tenuous links to Germany when Bayern are spending so much on their basketball department nowadays. They deserve a lot of credit whether you like them or not as a club.

Reply #925523 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not that big either....

Schroder - 6'1 pg
Lo - 6’3 pg/sg
Hollatz - 6’3 pg/sg
Obst - 6’3 sg/pg
Kramer - 6’5 sg/pg
Giffey - 6’7 sf/sg
Bonga - 6’8 sf/pf
Theis - 6’8 pf/c
Thiemann - 6’9 pf/c
Wagner - 6’10 sf/pf
Wagner - 6’11 pf/c
Voightman - 6’11 c/pf

Reply #925524 | Report this post

What the teams that advanced to the finals have in common is the league in which the players are currently playing.

Germany

NBA 4

EuroLeague 7 (Former NBA 1)

SpainLeague 1 (Former EuroLeague 1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serbia

NBA 3

EuroLeague 6 (Former NBA 1)

SpainLeague 3 (Former Eurocup 1) (Former EuroLeague 2)

Reply #925525 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" I can't wait for the annual "It's not October yet" from the general public."

I feel like most under 40s would have travelled enough the last 20 years through Euro piss tours to know that fact though.

Reply #925526 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

A few good points made, teams need balance , boomers got lot nba bench talent, it's not the same as top quality euro teams. What was the makeup of Canadian team re nba players?

Reply #925528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

boomers got lot nba bench talent, it's not the same as top quality euro teams. What was the makeup of Canadian team re nba players?
Ingles no longer starting, Mills hasn't been in a rotation, Giddey yes, Green sometimes (started 20/60ish games), Thybulle kinda (at Blazers, but not in 22-23 at 76ers), the rest not really. Green and Thybulle aren't exactly scoring leaders. Got more NBA players now, but not exactly more NBA-level guys in their prime (compared to Mills, Ingles, Delly, Bogut, Baynes, etc in the past).

Canada had pretty strong NBA representation: Shai, Dort, Powell, Brooks, Barrett, Olynyk - all generally starters and around their prime? A few of those can blow up at any time.

Obviously you don't have to look around much at this World Cup to know technically-in-NBA isn't the deciding factor.

Schroder at his best. Franz is very agile and very big for someone who can handle the ball - major NBA contributor right now. Surprised Bonga didn't stick in the NBA as a 3 and D guy.

Reply #925530 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Great game, Serbia and Germany were consistently good all tourny. Tough luck losing Dobric early but strong fightback.

I actually thought the final didnt quite showcase the 100% best of either team. Both would be tired after 8 games in 16 or 17 days. But it went down to the wire, a fitting finish to this tournament.

Reply #925531 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Such a great finish to what was an excellent tournament - very tight games on the last day, and Canada and Germany winning! Full credit to the 3 countries hosting the event.

Sadly, the next WC has been bought (!) by Qatar.

Reply #925532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

I think the time zones and Kayo really helped with this World Cup. Meant that my 11yo son and I could watch all the Boomers games and a few other random games we had cursory interest in (checking out Serbia, Lithuania, Canada, the US games, etc). He stayed up to watch USA-Germany and the "you might not see anything like that again" moment with Bridges to force OT, and then Canada-Germany with Dillon the Villain and MVP chants.

Reply #925537 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Bonga is only 23, definitely NBA calibre

Reply #925538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Looked up Bonga's NBA stats:

0.9 PPG for the Lakers in 5.5 MPG as a rookie
Then 5 PPG in 18.9 MPG for Washington in 49/66 starts, before dropped minutes in his second season there: 2 PPG in 10.8 MPG.

Finally Toronto in 2021/22 for 15 games, 4.6 MPG and 0.8 PPG.

Reply #925539 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I think the time zones and Kayo really helped with this World Cup.

The last World Cup was in the same timezone and also on Kayo.

Reply #925540 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Goorj on the radio the other day saying he expects no change to the team except for Landale. We are doomed.

Reply #925541 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Taking my 'glass half full approach', I’m positive we can beat South Sudan and Japan.

Reply #925542 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Next 3 major events 2024/27/28- Paris, Qatar, LA

We've been totally spoiled with timezones for 2019/21/23

Having said that, I've watched most of the games on delay or 1.5* anyway. Not realistic to watch a game at 6pm- that's family dinner time

Reply #925544 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

"Goorj on the radio the other day saying he expects no change to the team except for Landale. We are doomed."

On the basis of our WC performance, yes.
Im wondering though, we maybe do have a list that is good enough to medal - we just need a game plan that's sufficiently effective against the top teams....and enough time to put that game plan into practice.
In that regard, I the main thing that needs changing
is the coach/s

Reply #925558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Spotted on r/NBA:

There are like 6 nba players in the gold medal game vs 19 in the bronze medal game

Reply #925559 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills's summary above had the Final as a 17:7 player split for Europe vs. NBA.

Reply #925561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

An interesting hypothetical is how this Boomers team goes with Simmons at his best, given that the consensus seems to be we need shooting and better coaching, and he helps neither of those. Just pretend Simmons is at his peak, pre-breakdowns, however unlikely it all is. How far does it move the needle for Australia?

Maybe he's Nick Kay but far more athletic and doesn't get burned like Kay did against Germany? Or given Giddey isn't a great shooter, he's another Giddey playing that penetrating/transition role but with actual defence?

Given Ingles' shooting wasn't like in the past, maybe Simmons just slots in with those minutes but gives more energy?

Reply #925562 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If I recall, Inglis shooting at the last Olympics was also poor. Goorg is a defensive coach but the team defence wasn't good. I’m not certain the was to much input from other coaches and even players. At fiba quality tournaments you need great team D, Goorg should get it done his way or we will be gone.

Reply #925563 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

The issue with the Ben for Joe suggestion is you still need to respect Ingles from the 3 and cant sag off him. With Simmons you can just leave him there and not threat that he will knock down an open 3.

Reply #925564 | Report this post

Year of birth

Germany
1992 (3)
1997 (2)
2001 (2)

Serbia
1994 (3)
1995 (3)

Canada
1991 (3)
1996 (2)
1998 (2)

USA
1995 (2)
1996 (3)
2001 (2)

Boomers
1988 (2)
1995 (2)
1997 (2)

All four teams that advanced to the quarterfinals - Slovenia, Italy, Latvia, and Lithuania - have only one player born in the 1980s.

The oldest person in Slovenia was born in 1989.
The oldest person in Italy was born in 1987. He retired after this World Cup.
The oldest person in Latvia was born in 1989.
The oldest person in Lithuania was born in 1989.

Unless the head coach changes, Ingles, Mills and Goulding will likely play next year.
They are all born in the 1980s. But I think age doesn't matter as long as you have good skills.
So, as long as Mills isn't the starter next year, I'm fine with it.
However, Ingles failed to show competitiveness in this World Cup. He failed to get a shot wide open.
Goulding should no longer be selected.

Reply #925570 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Mills is the only perimeter threat on the team, he's definitely starting...

I highly doubt Goulding is selected

Joe will be selected but I expect his minutes to drop…

Reply #925575 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

"The issue with the Ben for Joe suggestion is you still need to respect Ingles from the 3 and cant sag off him. With Simmons you can just leave him there and not threat that he will knock down an open 3."

I don't even want Simmons on the team and am sick of hearing his name, but Ingles was a total liability this WC, offensively and defensively. Line ups with him, Giddey and Mills were so bad defensively that Goorj should have been fired the second he put them out there. Then whenever he had the ball on offence, he took so long to do nothing with it that the defence weren't troubled in the slightest.

At least Simmons would only be useless on one end of the floor.

Reply #925580 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

If I recall, Inglis

Why do you keep spelling his surname incorrectly?

Reply #925583 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Inglis second language?

Reply #925584 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

or ex-36ers employee.

Reply #925585 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

TheGOAT - I was thinking about that too regarding ages. I tried this but it's a bit shit:

Ideally it would weight players by playing time so Goulding is negligible but Patty and Ingles show the heft of those left-most green blocks. Daniels is the 2003 for Australia, so can discount that.

Reply #925590 | Report this post

I'm worried about the Olympics.

Reply #925596 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Me2. I can see Ingles, Goulding and Kay going to Paris and spending a lot of time warming the bench.

Reply #925600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754