SmallieBiggs
Last year

Harden Traded to Clippers

The Harden circus moves on...

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/38784569/philadelphia-76ers-agree-trade-james-harden-la-clippers

Topic #51536 | Report this topic

JT  
Last year

4 teams in 3 years, is he a douche or something?

Reply #929604 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Supposedly Morey didn't want this trade but ownership forced his hand.

Reply #929607 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Its not great for the Sixers. Interesting though when you look at what they gave up to get Harden in the first place.

Ben Simmons
Seth Curry
Andre Drummond
2022 first-round pick (unprotected) (this ended up being a 2023 pick used by Utah and the Nets got Royce O'Neal)
2027 first-round pick (protected)

They've clearly made a decision to go off the drama and move forward with Maxey as the lead guard and added depth. Yes they've taken a hit in overall talent, but I think its a valid way forward.

They've more or less recouped the picks they gave up so from that side its a win. Then its just trading unhappy guys for some warm bodies.

Reply #929609 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Clippers have had terrible injury luck through the years

Kawhi and George seem to be injured about 40% of the time, over many years

Paul and Griffin had injuries in playoffs multiple times

IF their team can stay healthy they can contend

Reply #929612 | Report this post

hoopjunkie  
Last year

Clippers are instant contenders... if they can stay healthy.

Reply #929614 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

From the Clippers side this can make a lot of sense. Harden is still a very good player during the regular season but seems to go missing during the playoffs (he had a few good games last playoffs).

The thinking might be if Harden (and Westrbook) can carry a lot of the load during the regular season, allowing Kawhhi and PG to rest more while still locking in a playoff spot and then let those guys loose healthy in the playoffs they'll have a decent shot.

Reply #929615 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Pairing Westbrook and Harden together never works, this is the third attempt at it. Might look good on paper but this team wont be getting past the likes of Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Milwaukee. I dont think id put them ahead of Golden State either. Harden simply takes the ball out of the hands of PG13 and Leonard.

Reply #929616 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

As I said, I think they'll play different regular season and playoffs. KL and PG will coast through the regular season, load management etc, and then step up in the playoffs. That will be the plan. I think they'll limit Harden and Westbrook's time on court together once the playoffs start

Reply #929617 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Last year

"Clippers are instant contenders... if they can stay healthy."

I'd still rate Denver and GSW over the Clippers. The cores of both teams have been together for a long time and are proven winners.

"Supposedly Morey didn't want this trade but ownership forced his hand."

Might be the first time I approve of something the Sixers ownership has done. I wonder if the trade would've happened if Ruben was still there lol

Reply #929628 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's worse than I thought

Kawhi has averaged 38 games a year over the past 6 years (including his final season in SA and title season in Toronto)

PG has averaged 47 games a year over the past 4 years since arriving in LA

(Regular season totals only)

I'd love to see a breakdown of Clippers W/L over past 4 years

With both
With KL not PG
With PG not KL
With neither

Reply #929631 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

More specifically, looking at the playoffs in the KL/PG era:

2020 Lose Semi finals 4-3 to Nuggets, both Kawhi and PG playing

2021 Lose semi finals 4-2 to Suns, no Kawhi in that series, Suns went on to make Finals

2022 Kawhi missed season, missed playoffs

2023 Lose 4-1 to Suns in 1st round. Kawhi missed last 3 games, after scoring 34.5ppg in games 1 and 2 (both in Phoenix) and series tied 1-1

One of the great "coulda been" teams of the last few years

Reply #929633 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Clippers have had the *health since before Kawaii was there.

I like this deal fir the clips purely from an asset perspective, traded multiple pieces for a high end starter,

Doesn't mean they will get out of the 2nd round...

Reply #929634 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754