Hooper
Last year

36ers Assistant Coach

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to watch anywhere near the bench during games at the moment, as the Sixers assistant coach just constantly looks like he wants to be head coach all game long. He stands he calls his own subs, he works his way in to conversations between CJ and refs, it’s intolerable to watch to be honest.

Topic #51580 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Craig Simpson, he does seem to be stating his case to be CJ's replacement.

Reply #930291 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

One of the most disliked people in basketball. A mystery as to how he got a job here.

Reply #930292 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Probably because he was bringing Kell & TSM with him form SEM.

Reply #930293 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

It's literally infuriating to watch, be an assistant coach and sit down, pass important information to the head coach only, and shut up. He seemingly stands more than he sits. I wonder if this is confusing players, as I’ve never seen anything like it.

Reply #930294 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

This was Mody Maor as an assistant.

Reply #930295 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Maor was worse IMO He got up carried on like a pork chop all the time acting like he was the coach of the team under Shamir.

Reply #930298 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

I actually don't see what the problem is. All assistants do it. None sit there and twiddle their fingers like it is the 80s.

CJ is pure crap so he needs someone to give him advice. No one probably would even be saying anything if Boti didn't write a post on it acting like it is the first time he has watched a basketball game. The game has changed, the assistants get involved.

Reply #930305 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Sixers fan, look at the best teams.....yeah, doesn't happen. Simpson calls his own subs, and I’m assuming this is why Smith-Milner keeps getting subbed in ahead of guys like Galloway. The coach must coach the team, the assistant coach….yeah, must assist!! #TakeASeat

Reply #930310 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Hmm, IF he is undermining CJ then that is not great. But I will say that the team has at least looked like it has a game-plan this season! Is that Craig Simpson's doing? Or Ninnis? Or perhaps CJ has learned from his previous seasons?

Reply #930383 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Which other assistants walk the sidelines and call the subs @Sixers Fan?

@Beantown I assume that was a satirical post.

The team has no offensive structure other than get the ball to DJ and hope he bails the team out. The players have lost all confidence and look lost. Marshall goes from DNP CD to playing 14 minutes, just shy of Wiley's minutes, and getting CJ's praises post game. Galloway played 10 minutes v JJ's ALL of them in the last quarter.

Reply #930388 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I thought Adelaide recognised the need for change in the previous two wins, but it felt like it was back to old ways against Tassie.

I think the players don't hate playing for CJ, but are still demoralised from lack of genuine coaching.

Reply #930389 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Q anon, no I'm serious. I've seen them actually execute plays to get Humphries the ball, run some decent screen action at times to get DJ a good look and adjust their defence to successfully quiet Cotton down for a bit (didn't last when we went back to the starters, but hey, it was an effective in-game adjustment that got us back in it for awhile).

Likewise, I've seen them recognise McCarron and Dech's ball-handling deficiencies and try to run the offence through Wiley, Kell and DJ at times. They still revert to letting McCarron and Dech handle the ball too much for my liking, but its less than it was.

I've also seen that they are trying to instill some accountability through the team. Its not always perfect, but more often than not when a player keeps blowing defensive assignments, they take a seat and sometimes they play less in subsequent games.

Marshall was given opportunities in the first few games, but he honestly played poorly and CJ rightly benched him. Starling also got benched for awhile for leaving his man wide open too many times. Even Dech and McCarron have played less in a couple of games where others were outperforming them. I would play them even a bit less and NEVER let them share the floor together if it was me, but I don't have to manage team morale!

Believe me, I'm not anointing anyone the next Gleeson, but from the limited perspective of someone watching from the stands, I believe I am seeing better coaching decisions this season than I saw in the previous two. We are coming off a very low base though!

Reply #930390 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

There's no issue with standing up and being vocal, but if Simpson is calling the subs and not the head coach, that's just silly.

Reply #930394 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Yes, I've seen Simpson do exactly that. It looks messy, and IMO undermines the real coach. #TakeASeat

Reply #930396 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

That's not how hashtags work.

Reply #930397 | Report this post

The Foss  
Last year

We have no offence, horrible rotations that make no sense, no defensive presence and zero identity as a team and this is what your focused on? Yeah it's one of the issues atm but it goes with everything we're doing and not doing so far. Bush league level club right now and have been for too long unfortunately.

Reply #930645 | Report this post

The Foss  
Last year

Also if the assistant is calk8 g suns etc then that's a 100% on CJ as why is he allowing it? You don't let the inmates run the asylum....

Reply #930646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754