Tomdelonge2
Last year

SEM @ Adelaide, Nov 17

SEM looking to entrench themselves in the top 4 against Adelaide.
With a little home cooking can the 36ers cause the upset?

Topic #51595 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

It will be interesting to see what type of ceremonial celebration they do for DJ.

Reply #930545 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

The NBL article suggested that DJ's departure was slight acrimonious.

Does anyone have any insight as to how?

All we got was silence, then a thank you for your time here. While that doesn't sound acrimonius on the surface there is a lot of room for speculation.

Reply #930552 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Speculation was he didn't want to play for CJ anymore because he started bringing him off of the bench halfway through last season so he signs an injury replacement contract with SEM, to come off of the bench.

Reply #930559 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Yeah, my understanding is that the only 'acrimony' is between DJ and CJ. I was told it wasn't about coming off the bench, it was CJ's lack of communication about the role change. So DJ felt disrespected and decided he wouldn't play for CJ again. Its a real shame, because DJ could still have given the Sixers a couple more good seasons off the bench if he and CJ could have sorted out their differences.

Reply #930561 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

It's more than just CJ but he is a large chunk

Players can’t wait to leave Adelaide and more than one assistant as well.

The beef was how DJ was benched by CJ with no discussion or warning. He found out he was coming off the bench when CJ wrote up the starting five pre game.

Thats not how you deal with a 14 year stalwart and club legend. Imagine doing that to Mark Davis or Brett Maher.

Reply #930575 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last year

Yet CJ has no problem having the worst point guard in the league as a starter and way too many unproductive minutes every game? Would probably have been better off starting DJ at the PG! Lol

Reply #930583 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Communication isn't CJ's strong point.

Never forget his horrific attempt at commentary.

Reply #930585 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

Imagine if it was done to.... Cj.

Reply #930586 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

CJ is pretty good at communicating when he's in his post match presser after a loss explaining why none of it is his fault.

Reply #930615 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

CJ isn't cut out to be an NBL head coach, I will be happy when he's moved on. Its only a matter of time at this stage, but he will probably see out the season unless things get really bad.

I hope the 36ers do something for DJ and I hope that the 36ers fans get behind him in his return. Regardless of how you feel about him, he was a long time servant of the club and has an accolade list worth celebrating.

Reply #930618 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

I see this as a danger game for SEM

Reply #930622 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

It would be nice, DJ was a great servant for the 36ers for many years.

Reply #930623 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

DJ was paid very admirably for his service to Sixers, probably more than his record re winning deserved. Sixers fans all last season were bagging him and want him on the bench and CJ is the bad guy.
Yes this is a big danger game for SEM, Sixers have been doing ok and SEM still to iso on offence, and under pressure their D can be sketchy. I think the sixers can get this by a few at home.
I think Kelly has done a fine job and hopefully he can be given time to get more players of his picking, this squad is just not going to win championships no matter what media says and hopefully Kelly isn't the scapegoat.

Reply #930626 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Sixers fans all last season were bagging him and want him on the bench and CJ is the bad guy.

DJ should've been benched years ago. I was hoping Henry was going to be the one with the guts to do it, turned out it was CJ, finally.

That was the big problem continuing to start DJ beyond his use by date he felt he was then entitled to start forever hence why he spat the dummy after CJ finally did it last season.

Reply #930627 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

NBL Podcasts and the paid talking heads been flapping their gums all week saying how DJ should receive a standing ovation, tribute video etc tonight.

Quite fanciful me thinks.

Reply #930634 | Report this post

The Foss  
Last year

@ben so you don't think he should receive this?

Reply #930647 | Report this post

The Foss  
Last year

@dennisrofmanshair finally some common sense on this site!

Reply #930648 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'm picking Phoenix by 15-20 because of foul trouble on Wiley and Humphries

Reply #930649 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

36ers guard rotation if McCarron, Cadee and Dech is just awful.

Reply #930650 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Refs just don't let teams play D.

Reply #930651 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Cheer for DJ in the arena there.

Reply #930652 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Yeesh, awful quarter, 36ers offering nothing defensively. SEM aren't a great defensive team either and the 36ers are looking like they'll struggle to put up 20 a quarter on them at this stage.

Reply #930653 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cadee was a good recruit but should be on minimum minutes. Sixers need an Adams type player. SEM just keeps attacking the rack.

Reply #930654 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

When will ownership step up like Illawarra and sack CJ?

Reply #930655 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

I know he's not in the upper echelon of imports, but I really like Wiley.

Reply #930656 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

CJ and McCarron just had a massive shouting fight with each other on the sidelines.

Reply #930658 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

DJV not worth 2 bob

Reply #930659 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Disgraceful 36ers. Time for change

Reply #930660 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

We are a steaming turd right now.

Reply #930661 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

SEM are not playing well but Sixers just not good at all. SEM guards just hog it or it could be a flogging. CJ looks like he has lost interest.

Reply #930662 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Thought exactly the same Dunkman. CJ is donski and he knows it, he's just waiting for someone to pull the trigger.

Reply #930663 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The owner is too busy sucking up to Tredrea next to him to try and worm his way into Port after the Crows knocked him back to give a shit about the Sixers.

Reply #930664 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Does he realize Tredders is on the outs at Port since he's not a Hinkley fan?

Reply #930665 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

Positives:
we made it to their quarter time score by half time
Wiley and Flowers look like they're trying

Negatives:
Everything else

Reply #930666 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries, Mccaron, Wiley plus, minus is ok, the rest rubbish, SEM plus , minus bench is through the roof. I think that tells you a lot.

Reply #930667 | Report this post

AusLoco  
Last year

I can't for the life of me make any sense of CJ's rotations.

Apparently neither can Scotty.

Reply #930668 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

All I can guess on CJ's rotation is he has a stopwatch set to 3 minutes and everytime it goes off, no matter how the team is going, he makes a sub by pulling a name out of a hat.

Reply #930669 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Feels like with his skillset Galloway could be a really good guy off the bench, he just needs a coach to believe in him and give him consistent minutes.

Reply #930670 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Browne been terrible, Cummins not much better.

Reply #930671 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Marshall is a pretty decent rebounder for his size.

Reply #930672 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Both sides are not troubling the top four

Reply #930673 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Will give the 36ers credit for going 48-32 since the first quarter, but that makes it even more annoying since if they were semi-competitive in the first they could be going into the final quarter with a 6-8 point lead.

Reply #930674 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Smart play by CJ, SEM think they are good, give them an easy first half and then kick arse in the second.

Reply #930675 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Seriously embarrassing how few players can lay up with their left hand. Such a low basic skill level. DJC does every time. They all want to shoot threes but miss can't lay up in traffic!

Reply #930676 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

DJV thinking he good... hahaha ... poison

Reply #930677 | Report this post

Jacket  
Last year

NBL = EASIEST league in the world to score in.
No wonder why Cooks, DJ, White etc got kicked out on the league even before the season began.
NBL has banned defense in this league.
No wonder why its TV ratings are abysmal

Reply #930678 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

McC and DJV hero's... . If only they knew

Reply #930679 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Jacket you adding to those TV stats obviously.

Reply #930680 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

SEM players love a good head throw back.

Reply #930681 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Gotta love home cooking

Reply #930682 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

What a come back. Never understood why Kyrin was out of the rotation, has good size and a good shot.

Reply #930683 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

I love how Jacket seems to absolutely hate the NBL product but apparently watches every game.

Maybe find something else to spend your leisure time doing?

Reply #930684 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Phoenix really got the yips in the second half. Credit to Adelaide.

Cannot see either team making the final four.

Reply #930685 | Report this post

Jacket  
Last year

Nope, did not watch one second of the telecast
Just saw the live stats
LOL 49 free throws
Yep, why would you watch that garbage?
Me and the vast majority of Australians dont.

Reply #930686 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Williams $11 MVP ...laughable

Reply #930687 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Horrible game to watch.

Reply #930688 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

No both sides are poor, Browne and Cummins just not there, lack form or age, Creek can play but defensively lacking at times. Congratulations to Sixers showed a lot fight, DJV and flowers were good, rest team really showing fight. I to don't know why Galloway doesn’t get more time.
Neither side are going to trouble the leaders, fifth an sixth at best.

Reply #930689 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Caught the game from midway through 3Q. As an impartial observer, thought it was a decent watch in that Adelaide actually held their nerve in nut crunch time and secured an unlikely win at home.

Interesting rotation from CJ. Strange Cadee started, but think it's fair Sunday only played 5 mins. He’s not the cancer Corey is at Perth, but it’s difficult to play him more with the roster they have and his offensive limitations.

Did DJ get the standing on and tribute video Santamaria’s been rabbiting on about this week?

Reply #930690 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Just gotta love doomsday Adelaide fans lol

Reply #930692 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Browne is an embarrassing flopper

Reply #930693 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Less than 4 mins to end the opening term Adelaide outscored 17-4 with Cadee, Dech, Flowers, Starling, Smith-Milner on the floor most of it. Rest of the game they won 92-76 with decent line-ups on the floor.

Almost sabotaged themselves in 200 seconds by putting all scorers on the bench, and that bench unit laying a big fat one when they should have done better defensively. Good resilience to come back and win that though.

SEM look very good offensively at times, but some big issues executing when the game tightens up, which has been a common theme for a number of years now.

Reply #930694 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Great game
Wiley scored and rebounded well
Flowers ,defence good
DJV shot from everywhere

Top 3 in my votes ,rest team ok
Dech Starling and Smith not up to NBL standard

Would have given Marshall minutes instead of Dech

What's happened to Dech ,once a great player ,looks like
he’s lost his confidence.

Reply #930695 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Anonymightymouse - I have no idea what CJ thought that line-up was going to do. Just very little that group is gonna do offensively.

Reply #930696 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Yeah a head-scratcher for sure. Apart from that, a pretty impressive win without Kell. When is he due back?

Reply #930697 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

SEM overrated every year, maybe this is what you get when Creek is your main dude.

Reply #930698 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Not super confident in Kelly as coach either

Reply #930699 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I think Kelly can coach, he's probably not a Gleeson but very reasonable. SEM have made lot changes of personnel over the season except for Creek. He’s supposed to be a mvp candidate but his sides never succeed that well. Iso offence and patchy D is not winning you championship.

Reply #930700 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

In the balance of it all SEM just got to many players that need the ball, Cummins or Browne might be better off the bench with Kenyon starting.

Reply #930701 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reading this gives me vibes of the infamous Boomers-France Olympic warmup game thread.

Reply #930707 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

You mean both teams are gonna suck?? Lol

Reply #930708 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

@Observer Dech has never been a great player at NBL.Has only ever been an average player at best. He is not starter calibre and when you have younger players coming through you should give them priority. Marshall has been a better player than Dech at NBL1 level for years now and when given proper opportunity at NBL level looks way better for Sixers. Can't fathom how Marshall has been parked on bench so much this season. Same thing with Galloway. Plain as day Sixers rotations are better with Flowers, Galloway, Marshall in it than Dech and Cadee playing lots of mins. McCarron was very useful, especially in final qtr as he showed tonight but
I though the starting five made no sense, they ran Cadee at the point, with McCarron in the corner, what is the point of that? Better to have someone with either speed, or can shoot the 3 in the corner.

Wiley was good, excellent rebounding and energy. Flowers gives them some speed and length when he gets on. Great comeback by Sixers in a game of two halves.
Williams whinges for a foul on every play. Refs lost control of the game for large patches.

Reply #930709 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Dreadful first half of basketball, second half saved it as a neutral observer. I thought both Galloway and Flowers were great in their mins, and Marshall had an impact again. Wiley was the most consistent Sixer from beginning to end, and DJ knocked basically was a knockout blow once momentum had swung.

Re: SEM for me they are fine. They've had a couple of bad losses in a row but I think Kelly deserves a shot and a chance to re-jig the roster over the offseason.

Reply #930710 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Agree, Kelly should get a shot to re-jig the roster, who is signed for next season ? Sauce is but who else. Their import guards are either very hot or cold, not enough passing and they have some low iq players.

Reply #930711 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Kelly already did that he turned over most of the roster in the off-season bringing in his guys like Moller, Gak and Vague. Hasn't worked. In saying that SEM have always been too top heavy blew too much money on Creek and the other starters with scrubs on the bench. Throw in some constant injuries to big money guys like Broekhoff and it's no wonder they under deliver.

Great comeback win for the Sixers despite only playing with one import to their three imports, hopefully Kell will be back soon he and DJV give us some genuine offensive weapons. Probably the best game I've seen Wiley play for us, fantastic energy and crashed the boards hard. Humphries drops his bundle too easily when things aren't going his way. Dech looks so lacking in confidence he looks like he's forgotten how to play.

Reply #930712 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I should add I was impressed with the resolve of the team to come back from that 18 point H/T deficit. Usually that would be game over for us but to come back and win admittedly with a bit of help from a pea-hearted SEM is a fantastic result. Also keeps us 8th on the ladder a loss would've seen us drop below NZB.

Reply #930713 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Been saying this for a couple of weeks now.

Can we please promote Galloway and Flowers more, and focus on getting the ball through Humphries hands as well.

They look so much more lethal when either Galloway or Flowers are there as a perimeter threat alongside DJV. Plus their length helps with rebounding and defence.

Wiley being active helps as well.

C Humphries
F Wiley
F Galloway
G DJV
G Kell

Make Flowers your 6th man, TSM 7th.
Sorry MM and Dech

Marshall depends on the situation.

Reply #930715 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Kelly brought in some useful pieces, Moller, Kenyon who have certainly helped with team and defence, they are not your top line players. Ayre has been disappointing and Gak injured. Browne and Cummins are your two import guards have been so iso, certainly Cummins and it hasn't helped, Creek is again ball dominant and with sauce and the two guards there isn’t enough for all. Cummins and sauce are also defensively weak. Vague is hardly the main piece. Kelly should get to pick his guard imports next season is the main point I’m trying to make. In all that there is only so many Adams available and every team want one.

Reply #930716 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Agree with that KET. I have been banging on about that sort of lineup for a while too. Sixers have nothing to lose anymore. But I would also play Marshall a lot in the rotation too with Kell and DJV, then you can run McCarron as a mr fixit whenever you need his experience, etc as he is reliable player in final qtrs in tight games.

Reply #930720 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

I would have stuck Flowers in the starting line-up instead of going McCarron/Cadee, which is just putting a hat on a hat. It leaves McCarron playing off ball sitting in the corner, Flowers showed in the 3rd he can be a danger there hitting two big shots. He's also going to provide better rebounding because of his athleticism. Obviously goes back to the bench once Kell is back, but he provides a point of difference at least, same with Galloway.

Reply #930724 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Just watched the replay. Saw the off ball foul from Browne on Smith Milner. At the game crowd was not aware of what was going on, game was just stopped, no replays of the incident shown on the screen and Sixers given foul shots.. He's lucky as the boos he got later on would've been twice as bad if crowd had seen the little gut punch on the cube screen during the game.

Reply #930729 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I feel like Galloway's strength is his mobility and shooting as a PF, I reckon moving him to SF would reduce his effectiveness.

Adelaide have two really important sparkplugs in Galloway and Flowers, need to best figure out how to use them. I don't mind starting Flowers, having four veterans out there helps him, and his athleticism and shooting helps them.

Reply #930741 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

The other strength of Galloway is shot blocking. He is not a physical big but can block shots. Rotate him with Wiley and use Flowers and others at the 3.

Reply #930866 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754