AJ16
Last year

Taipans @ Adelaide, 9 December 23

So, after the week from hell (or the start of a new beginning?) we finally get some on court action.

Adelaide - who will start, play minutes, what defensive schemes will be different etc. How will the team/crowd/CEO react

Cairns - After the high of beating MU last week, the strange strange game last night will be bit of a let down.

This game should be close, and the 36ers players should show something after this week.

Any tips or thoughts - Adelaide by 7 for me .... Only as a I don't trust Cairns to put it all out there and Adelaide can’t be worse than last week!

Topic #51639 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Last year

McCarron is as bad at acting as he is as a point guard! That little display where he gave team a spray at training was about as convincing as his 7 points and 2 assist per game as the Team's starting point guard!

Will be interesting to see the rotations tonight, but I think Cairns will win this by 20+

Reply #932123 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Cairns have to get over the travel and the 2nd half playing with no air conditioning for the 2nd half in a tight one with Sydney. This will be a close contest just for that reason

Reply #932125 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Spinner, if he was acting he deserves an Oscar nomination. Seemed completely legitimate to me. In any case, I am sure these things are not rare in that type of environment.

Reply #932127 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I appreciated that massive spray McCarron gave the playing group at training yesterday even if it was probably to make himself look like a 'strong leader' in a contract year. With all the leaks from the players someone had to do it and if it wasn't going to be Ninnis then it should be the captain.

In saying that teams often get a boost out of the players when firing a coach, look at the Hawks since Tatum took over, but it would not surprise me at all if they laid an egg tonight. The club is virtually on it's knees with all the leaks and I just can't see this batch of players turning it around in the second half of the season after pissing away the first half of the season.

Taipans by 7 points

Reply #932128 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Hawks got a boost because they have a ok roster and Tatum can coach. Sixers totally different scenario. To many average guards. Hopefully Ninnus plays players to their strengths, Galloway should not be on the bench for most of game, Humphries and Wiley have been better than I thought. Play the younger guys.

If taipans are not exhausted after that horrible game on Thursday night they should get this in a close one.

Reply #932131 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last year

Normally I have a flutter on a sacked coaches team, made a little after the Hawks sacking. But I might pass with morale being totally gone.
My initial thoughts about the MM spray was that it was a bit theatrical. But on watching again it shows the anger and frustration from one of those that has been snitched on. The locker room would be fractured beyond repair, maybe a few need to be released from their contracts just to be rid of them. Normally moves like this brings a group together, either glad to be rid of a coach or a bit of self reflection that they caused it. But it'll be two camps that are mainly divided.
And that division has been around for awhile. Spoke to KB years ago and it took Childress coming in the get players on the same page. They still may not have liked each other but at least they were professional on the court. JJs have had a professional culture from day 1, Adelaide have just moved from one shit show to another. Whites and assistant coaches leaking of group chat messages showed how bad it was. Then they get CH who didn't know what he was in for and then got knifed for not agreeing with management. DJs undermining and sulking when he should be a leader just permeated through the whole team. CJ was a Muppet, but had no chance with all the roster decisions. Fair enough when no-one wanted the job, but after 2 years they should have had someone else lined up. Now the team is the biggest laughing stock in the league, the Hawks look great comparitively. Perth are saying hold my beer though.
But there'll be another end of season review, usual suspects will come in and say what they've said the last 6 times. GK will blame everyone else but himself, hire a lame duck coach and try and scrape together a roster. But isn't insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Reply #932136 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Mccarron to be extended and a pay rise after that spray, did what CJ should have done months ago

Reply #932137 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Dead cat bounce game incoming. Going to be fascinating viewing. Particularly interested to see how Coach Forde has prepared his troops for what should be a hostile environment.

Have really appreciated the Adelaide faithful since I began following the league in the early 90s. Watching games on the tv, they've always turned up, made noise and appear knowledgeable. Unfortunately I feel the remainder of the season will be absolute dog turd and they're in for a tough time.

Reply #932140 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Agree not much gives me the impression we could turn this around aside from CJ being an ordinary coach this group of players seem particularly heartless. Some of it probably justified in respect to management but you would think self-interest, and playing for a contract somewhere next season, would've kicked in at some point.

Bottom of the ladder 4-9 with 15 games to go need to win 10/15 just to get to 14-14 and that still probably wouldn't be good enough to make the playoffs. I can't see us going 10-5 the rest of the way especially with a tougher schedule in the second half of the season. Still got two more each against Melb and Sydney, one more each against Perth, Tassie and SE Melb.

Reply #932146 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries on fire, when he's got his brain on the game he’s a beast

Reply #932172 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Adelaide need to just blow it all up

Reply #932173 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yes, Kell very ordinary, DJV to hot and cold, should be their stars but aren't.

Reply #932175 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Cairns can't miss from 3, while DJ misses a wide open 3. Pretty much the slight difference at the moment.

Reply #932176 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

DJ sometimes plays like he's an 8 year old pretending he's Steph Curry.

"From the logo!"

Reply #932177 | Report this post

AJ16  
Last year

Don't understand the 'we want to prioritise youth’ and yet starling has starters minutes?!

Reply #932178 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

What happened to playing more Marshall, Galloway and Flowers?

Reply #932179 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Exactly @ Lovebroker.

Reply #932180 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

I think Starling is more they won't have to question whether he's going to put in effort on D. Flowers got yanked early on his 2nd foul it looks like too.

Galloway is likely gone as well if you believe the talk, so that might see him spend more time sitting.

Reply #932181 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Marvel jerseys, so silly.

Reply #932183 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Aren't they DC not Marvel?

Reply #932184 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Sorry if wrong, all the same to me! Not in to the stuff.

So at the half - no Cadee, Milner Dech on court yet. Money Mac 5 mins.

Reply #932185 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Mccaron was five minutes to many. If Galloway is going maybe fair enough but if you like to win games you should play your best players. Sixers are just not that good, except Humphries and Wiley. All those average guards. DJV can play but needs kings quality guys around him.

Reply #932186 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

DJ heating up a bit this quarter.

Reply #932188 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Entertaining game if lacking in defence.

Reply #932190 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Feels like they're trying to put Marshalls minutes with either one of McCarron or Kell next to him.

Guess they want the extra ball handing help in there next to him in case he starts to struggle I guess.

Reply #932191 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Classic 36er finger pointing "nah you take him" easy 3 for Cairns to end the quarter.

Reply #932193 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

8,954 at the game. Of course they won't mention all the cheap tickets they threw out yesterday afternoon!

Reply #932194 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cheep or not cheep it's a good crowd.

Reply #932196 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Inflating numbers are they? Makes sense.

Reply #932197 | Report this post

Statman  
Last year

No cadee seems silly to me, can still offer very solid backup minutes and leadership at the point. Seems ninnis is certainly following orders from higher up!

Reply #932198 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Both DJ and Kell love their own shot far too much sometimes to be effective in the same team.

Reply #932200 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

What was that, like up by 4 and now down by 11 in about 5 minutes?

Reply #932201 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Ok, so Adelaide lose by 10-ish.

Adelaide didn't look any different overall to me compared to other games this season. Adelaide faithful, any positives to take from the match or meh?

Reply #932202 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

Only thing we're going to win this year is the wooden spoon.

Reply #932203 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sixers have been missing a true quality point guard for seasons, every one knows it they just don't rectify it.

Reply #932204 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Last year

It's a toxic club and a toxic environment at the moment and won’t improve until the owner and CEO are gone. It’s a sad sight as a Sixers fan.

Kell looks out of shape, was gassed at a few points calling for a sub throughout the game and while he was effective early, struggled toward the end of the game and looked tired. Need to see better conditioning from a professional athlete.

Reply #932205 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

"Adelaide faithful, any positives to take from the match or meh?"

Not really, it's just treading water until next year at this point. Team probably knows it too.

Reply #932206 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Defensively absolutely porous once again! Cairns guards got anywhere they wanted on the court with no fight or will from any 6er to keep them out of the paint. Ninnis will clearly try to get them to have a bigger focus at the defensive end but not sure how much traction he'll get with that...

Reply #932207 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

While McCall is a flopped and an annoying player, he also very good, keep him and Miller next season is a very good start. Taipans deserved the win.
Sixers really need to keep Humphries, get a top quality coach and start again. You would probably keep Wiley and DJV but not much else.
The refs were very even handed, did an excellent job.

Reply #932208 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Have really appreciated the Adelaide faithful since I began following the league in the early 90s. Watching games on the tv, they've always turned up, made noise and appear knowledgeable.

Agreed, their booing of Heal in particular was legendary. I don't think with the same level of failure Wildcats fans would be this loyal.

Reply #932209 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

But at least Adelaide players don't fall over as much as Cairns players do.

Reply #932210 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Last year

While a bit better in some parts, still the same issue of no structured offence, poor defending against 3 point shots, not enough effort in rebounding and to much individualism. Hero ball came to the fore when the 36ers hit he lead and shortly after they were 10 points down. There is no oncourt leader to pull everyone into line.

Owner and CEO are not responsible for any of those factors.

Reply #932211 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

"Owner and CEO are not responsible for any of those factors."

Weren't they two of the three people responsible for constructing a roster devoid of the leadership you're referencing?

Reply #932212 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

As I said earlier, if the sixers are going ok off the floor re money and sponsors, do what kings did and get a Pondgrass, a person who knows how to construct a team and has contacts both in US and Europe. They are obviously spending money but just can't get the combination right. I suggested bevo, maybe Wright. There is a few good pieces there, scrap the rest.
Who has a contract for next season?

Reply #932213 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Players need play defence first .
Cairns shot well from the 3
Not ninnis fault,players need to wake up and perform.
Good to see McCarron start on bench ,same again next game.

Lastly,no one wants to coach Adelaide 36ers
Grant Kelly can ,he can save his dough long term .

Hoping for win ,disappointed.

Reply #932214 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Cadee, Dech and Marshall have contracts next year with options for Wiley and Flowers.

Cadee and Dech are probably being paid decently next year, which is half of why I think they're benched and they'll try and get them to find new deals next year. But either way they should have plenty of flexibility to make a new roster next year.

People I talk to are 50/50 on Wiley, seems there's a few that hate him, I'm a fan though so I hope we keep him. Think he can be an effective player in a good team.

Reply #932215 | Report this post

Hermann 2  
Last year

Really love DJ to return. Let's stock up on offence. Lot better pushing the ball. Creating. Finally to score board ticking. Attractive free flowing. DJhuge addition. Not playing finals but let's entertain.
MM sits next and cadee into roster.

Reply #932216 | Report this post

Rat10  
Last year

Flowers and Marshall played a total of 36:10 mins for a combined 1-4 from the field for 4 points and 4 rebounds. That is pathetic. Even Mccarron could provide more than that in 36 minutes and he's better defensively than both these guys. It's all well and good to get minutes into the youngsters but they have to earn their minutes.

It's ludicrous that Ninnis went with Flowers and Marshall in the clutch, particularly given the way they were playing. You can't play such inexperienced guys when executing becomes increasingly hard and the defence is ramped up.

Reply #932222 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

If you think Ninnis is going to do any better.Think again.

Obviously going to give the local SA players time over the likes of Cadee and Dech.

He couldn't coach last time he was there and nothing much would change now.

Reply #932231 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

When your team is in the position such as Sixers, the idea should be to play young contracted players now, in clutch or other situations, so come next season they have more experience. Anyone who is not in the future plans for the team shouldn't be playing. Simple as that.

Reply #932233 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Sixtiesrockstar, and who exactly are these younger players who are actually contracted for next season and won't take a back seat to an import anyway? Marshall? Flowers won't be here. It is not as simple as that. The season is not even half way through, it's a long time to anchor quality players to the bench, plus season is not even technically over. There is also the issue of not giving Ninnis or the main rotation a proper chance to turn things around, regardless of if that means making the play in or not. Adelaide should just be focused on playing their best possible team and and best possible basketball for the remainder of the season. Investing in youth is not relevant in the NBL.

Reply #932234 | Report this post

Heatingsnail  
Last year

Good to see the kids get a run at least. There is no point losing with the experienced players and the Adelaide roster is certainly not built as a win now roster. Humphries tried hard and I thought was their best. DJV is never going to make NBA. Watching him on tv last night at best is a streaky shooter. The spray from McCarron was fine however its coming from a guy who has played zero defense and contributed nothing on the offensive end either! Cairns are looking good and would not want to meet them in a finals series!

Reply #932236 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Last year

SixtiesRockStar wrote - "Anyone who is not in the future plans for the team shouldn't be playing. Simple as that."

This is almost exactly what Ninnis told everyone to expect:
'Interim coach Scott Ninnis, a legend of the club, confirmed under his stewardship the rotation would be shortened, the starting five changed and more opportunities afforded the likes of Nick Marshall and Next Star Trentyn Flowers, with some "tough conversations" to be had with his veterans......“We'll look at an eight or nine man rotation ... with an eye towards the future, getting time into those young guys.”'.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-news-2023-adelaide-36ers-sack-coach-cj-bruton-after-miserable-start-to-season/news-story/17a7b56e84f1a24f2b8a06420bb4f427?amp

So expect this for the rest of the season.

Reply #932237 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754