Isaac
Earlier this year

Josh Giddey won't face charges after police investigation

TMZ:

Josh Giddey won't face charges after a police investigation into alleged improper relations with an underage girl. The case is closed due to lack of corroborating evidence, as the individuals involved declined to cooperate. Giddey, 21, remained with the Thunder during the probe, and the NBA deferred to law enforcement in handling the matter.

Topic #51735 | Report this topic

Red84  
Earlier this year

"...individuals involved declined to cooperate." Hmmm.

Reply #934475 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Earlier this year

""...individuals involved declined to cooperate." Hmmm."

Regardless of whether Josh put some money on the table to make that the case, it's time for people to leave him alone now - reasons being the following:

1) They met at a night club (she should have been of age to even enter)
2) They were pretty close in age
3) He stopped seeing her as soon as he was aware according to all reports.

Now her actual age is of little consequence. She got into a club, clearly with a fake ID. And we're going to penalize Josh for that, why exactly?

Leave the kid alone. He's not R Kelly. He's not a predator. He's made a mistake and paid dearly.

Reply #934478 | Report this post

';'  
Earlier this year

Yep spot on ME ... Time to move on

Reply #934479 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Earlier this year

Nobody is going to move on in regards to social media, he will be a joke going forward for all the Americans commenting online, and this is the horrible part about social media these days.

Its a shame, Josh isnt to blame in this.

Reply #934480 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Exactly @ Me.

Reply #934481 | Report this post

Rusty  
Earlier this year

Unfortunately for Josh he will be forever known as Josh Giggity now.

Reply #934482 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Earlier this year

The girl meanwhile who knowingly got into a club with a fake ID and knowingly put Giddey's career at risk with her little trist with him will get off scott free mind you.

Reply #934483 | Report this post

Manders  
Earlier this year

Rusty: only by small-minded people. Be better. Some of the previous posts on the other thread were equally small-minded.

Reply #934485 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Earlier this year

Glad its all over.

OKC having a great season let that continue.

Reply #934489 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Earlier this year

This will be welcoming news for Josh but unfortunately it is all a bit too late and the other home-teams fans have much pleasure in him being public enemy number one.

I think you'll find he'll cop much of the same treatment for the remainder of the season and I can only hope the momentum has deflated enough before the Olympics in Paris because that would be horrible to witness on a stage like that.

Reply #934497 | Report this post

WC95  
Earlier this year

Well said ME. That's basically the whole case right there. Hardly worthy of ending your career and becoming a number 1 enemy in the US and carry8ng a criminal record over. The female also didn't appear to be too bothered by it. Sounds like an effort to extort some money out of him.

Hopefully the boos die off as the season goes on and eventually becomes forgotten about as it clearly should be.

Reply #934516 | Report this post

Cram  
Earlier this year

Unfortunately he will have this hanging over him for the rest of his career. Boos may stop, or slow, but it'll still get mentioned a lot whenever his name is brought up.

Interesting seeing some in the media suggest that the NBA may still impose a punishment now that the criminal investigation is over. I can only think it must be for the optics of getting into a video etc.

"The girl meanwhile who knowingly got into a club with a fake ID and knowingly put Giddey's career at risk with her little trist with him will get off scott free mind you"

Are you suggesting she shouldn't? Aside from using a fake ID (which thousands of kids around the world do every weekend and when caught get slaps on the wrist) she didnt do anything criminal.

Knowingly put his career at risk? She's not responsible for his actions.

Reply #934533 | Report this post

C grade  
Earlier this year

ME, correct if you look at what we all know. And anyone would agree that on face value that it seemed 1 year in difference, and move on. But I think this was a hit job to release a 2 year old situation and create maximum damage to Giddey's manager Moldovan. He was fired by Octagon for commenting on BLM's post. Both Giddey and Moldovan are loosing $$$ over negative press. Co-ordinated hit job via a deleted twitter account and back up by blue tick social media bots linked to other activists. No wonder the family hired a lawyer and kept quiet. I dont think they are worried about general basketball supporters. Might sound to much of a conspiracy, but if you look at the $$$ involved for Giddey's next contract and examples like wheetbix (@ reported 40mil).. Moldovan is loosing big amounts.

Reply #934534 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Earlier this year

C Grade everything has perspective. Do you think Giddey cares he will end up with 100 million instead of 200 million? Do you think his agent will care that much he ends up with 10 million instead of 20 million? They will be just fine. Also it is losing not loosing

Reply #934535 | Report this post

C grade  
Earlier this year

Do I think Giddey cares about $$... not so much. But his reputation is now tarnished forever because of a political stance via his manager. Moldovan would care about the dollars, and now has to navigate a career without Octagon on his own, he is not an agent solely for love.

But you keep looking at the result champ, not what caused the story to break. Thanks for the spelling lesson, more proof you're only looking at surface issues and cant think critically.

Reply #934536 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this year

Of course they care about money. To suggest otherwise is incredulous. I'm very surprised that Moldovan has retained any of his client base after his Anti BLM Anti Palestine social media posts. Even Nike eventually dropped Tiger Woods, Giddey has damaged his clean cut image no doubt. I dont believe that West Bix amount. That would be the largest sponsorship deal outside F1 in Australian sports history.

Reply #934537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Earlier this year

I agree that players care about money, even if it doesn't move the needle in terms of their lifestyle. And I also doubted the face value of that Weetbix number when it was mentioned. Giddey's profile in Australia relative to other sports or even other Australian NBA athletes wouldn't be that strong.

I don't think this was anything targeting the agent or a particular effort from the girl to extort. More likely just someone in her wider circle who got the content and tried to stir things up as payback for something. Occam's razor, etc.

Giddey or a representative probably said to the family a longer form of "Sorry, genuinely didn't know her age at the time. Obviously the future of your daughter is of critical interest to you. If I can contribute to help with PR professionals for damage control to protect her reputation, please let me know." Then wait and see how the family expected it to play out. If they're sane (well, IMO), they take the PR retainer, suggest their daughter be more mindful of social media, put the money aside for college, Giddey pulls his head in after dodging a more major crisis, the Thunder and NBA wait out noise. (All this assumes the story is remotely as we've heard it and not a bigger age gap, etc.)

Reply #934539 | Report this post

Cram  
Earlier this year

Agree with everything you said Isaac.

Young people being young a dumb.

I'm so thankful social media wasn't around when I was young

Reply #934540 | Report this post

C grade  
Earlier this year

Issac, I do believe in the theory of Occam's.. but the incident was 2 years ago.. why sit on it? If there was hush money paid it would have never got out, and she goes to college etc. So this points to a leak, and I have suggested motivation. Follow the $$ and look into background. The NBA is big business to all who is involved. Have a look at what happened to Kyrie when he tweeted about a movie..

Reply #934544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754