Luuuc
Last month

WNBL Grand Finals: Southside Flyers vs Perth Lynx

Game 1 - Sun 3:30 – Southside vs Perth

Game 2 – Thu 6.30 - Perth vs Southside

Game 3 - Sun [TBC] - Southside vs Perth (if required)

All games live on ESPN

All times are local

--

Note: Game 3 time is TBC due to NBL Grand Final also being on same day. We are working with the NBL to ensure we avoid a time clash, and will advise as soon as confirmed.

Topic #51853 | Report this topic

Bluey  
Last month

Gee the NBL are getting to their semi's very quickly if the GF is on in 10 days...

Reply #937551 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

NBL SF's finish Wednesday. You would think NBL GF would run a schedule of Friday, Sunday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday or something very similar.

Reply #937554 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

I would hope they don't go from a Wednesday semi final to a Friday grand final.

But the NBL semis start tonight and could be finished as early as Monday, in which case a GF game on Sunday would hardly be too soon.

Reply #937563 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Key to Perth I think is similar to Townsville: steal the first game, clinch it in Perth.

Southside, for all their "quiet" protesting their end of season schedule, will have had to only fly away from Melbourne once, an incredible luxury. I think Perth will be to tired at end of season if it goes back to Melbourne.

They do have a cheat code in the form of Aari, so who knows. I at least hope for a good series as bare minimum. Potter v Jackson could also be a huge match up. Russell v Maley on the rebounds.

Depth is on the Flyer's side too, though Puoch as 8th player only getting a couple of minutes mitigates any of that. Petrik will likely try and limit how much time MCH gets matched up against the talls too.

Reply #937576 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

Can't see Puoch being to happy getting hardly any court time the second half of the seasons. I imagine her WNBA prospects aren't as high anymore and she probably expected to be a start at the Flyers all year under Chambers.

Reply #937767 | Report this post

DMc  
Last month

She is still number 6 on ESPN's latest mock draft, which is only a few days old.

Reply #937768 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

https://www.codesports.com.au/basketball/wnbl/why-lauren-jackson-must-be-part-of-olympic-gold-medal-bid/news-story/f9e05c842e017d346d80427f4f22e172

Reply #937769 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Last month

I am starting to think that anything that is said by Ms Goat Jackson should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reply #937770 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

What a start from Perth, hitting 3s all quarter. Can't give Atwell any space, over compensate and other shooters are free.

Expecting a SF comeback, they'll probably target Potter more.

Reply #937813 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

I'm enjoying how Southside are choosing to "defend" Atwell so far.
Good start.

Reply #937814 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

This is quite a performance. Best half of shooting in a final series ever? Atwell best 3PT shooter Aus has produced, this is next level.

Reply #937818 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Leaving Lynx perimeter shooters wide open is a choice I enjoyed immensely that half.

Atwell superb. You don't need to leave her open to be burned by her. Maybe she deserves a few crumbs of the Opals hype that LJ has been receiving.

Reply #937821 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

Amy Atwell needs to go to Paris. Outside LJ, she is in top 5 players in Australia at moment and can fill a specific need in Paris. WNBA training camp contract with Phoenix. I hope she can show Sandy she deserves her spot.

Marley standing up big time. Like she does when she gets her Opals chance. Beast on the boards

Reply #937823 | Report this post

cabbage  
Last month

Perth are on FIRE.

Reply #937825 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

This is an all-time great performance from the Lynx. They have a clear identity, are well-coached, and supposedly have one of the lowest budgets in the league.

Contrast that to Southside... yikes. Whether or not they win the series, Chambers has a lot to answer for.

Reply #937827 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

My only worry as a Perth fan is that streaky shooting is...well, streaky. They have to make sure they come out and stop a streaky the other way. I wonder if the try to focus on Aari more, use the gravity of Atwell to create room.

Reply #937829 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

No Atwell on floor? No worries, still raining frees from everyone.

Reply #937836 | Report this post

cabbage  
Last month

Does anyone know what the record is for most made 3s in a wnbl game? :o

Reply #937843 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Potter almost doing a Cardoso to end the half haha, with way they're shooting why not.

Slower half but didn't let Southside have it all their way, lead is still very healthy.

Reply #937845 | Report this post

loungefly  
Last month

Atwell is having one for the ages and she is so comfortable and confident in her shot that everyone else is confident in taking threes...

Reply #937850 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Well done Perth, bit ridiculous that they've had so many top teams in psst but it's this team scraping into finals that finds itself 1-0 up. Sports eh?

Tactical master-class and shooting session. Lynx's shooting:
2P%...39 (15/38)
3P%...57 (22/38)

Potter had one of the best 1pt games I've seen too. She was non stop hustle and kept out of foul trouble, something the GOAT couldn't manage.

Reply #937861 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Potter played it juat about perfectly, and credit also to the help she got from others. The D held up very well when it mattered.

Reply #937871 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Too quick for Southside. Atwell scorchin first half...
Chambers will need to make big changes, maybe deny Atwell from actually receiving the ball?

Quokka
Reason Lynx scraped in was because they had no McDonald for half the season, before the injury they were near the top.

JD14
Maley hasn't been great for the opals, probably why she is still on the fringe. Brondello took an underperforming Blicavs, Kunek not available, Atwell didn’t even make the list, nor Bibby or Sharp.
Several other players not even looked at for the Olympic qualifiers.

Reply #937895 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'll try and watch this tomorrow but surely it didn’t have to clash with the nbl.

Reply #937896 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Atwell over Madgen anyday.
Wallace recent performances are also a big worry and swain looked far more promising coming back from injury.

OPALS, Could we see?
Atwell in for Madgen.
Swain in for Wallace.

probably not... unless both thrive with wnba opportunities.

Reply #937897 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

I don't think Atwell in for Masden - Madgen is the captain, a great leader and played very well in Brazil.

I don't think Wallace or Swain will be selected. Melbourne over Wallace.

There will only be 2-3 maximum changes from Brazil, pending LJ as well, but Swain won't be there.

Reply #937898 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

I know Atwell didn't make the list, but she should have and should be well in contention now Weedy Slug.

Maley is terrific player and always been great in her court time for the opals - rebound, hustle and output. Great player.

Reply #937899 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

Yeah will be interesting what adjustments Southside make - as you say, McDonald to fast and Perth basically have the ball down the offensive end before Southside's big's get down the court. I imagine they will try feed the ball to LJ nearly every possession early on in game 2 and see if she can hit the shots.

Reply #937900 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I think Maley is playing 3on 3 at Olympics.

Reply #937901 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Foxtel let me down big time - didn't record either the NBL or WNBL games as per my instructions. Missed them both, f**k it!!!

Reply #937904 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

Both freely available on Kayo.

Reply #937905 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

https://kayosports.com.au/fixture/sport!basketball/series-women-s-national-basketball-league!10/fixture-southside-flyers-vs-perth-lynx!43783

Reply #937908 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Cheers!

Reply #937909 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

I think they'll go their usual team for Olympics. Especially if Blicavs on one foot and no form got selected. Only changes may be Talbot for Borlase and someone in for Jackson (I hope Scherf but they may not choose another big, it was pretty imbalanced squad).

It's post-Paris where they need to look at phasing out a few players, that's where it's good Reid got a good run in Brazil. With her, Melbourne and Wallace the point/combo guard position should be ok. Wings and forwards, who knows.

Reply #937912 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Assume with Sandy in charge...

Melbourne
Whitcomb
Wallace (*Reid/Heal)
Madgen
Borlase
Talbot
Allen
Blicavs (*Kunek/Atwell)
Smith (*Garbin/Scherf)
Magbegor
George
Tolo

*Possible inclusions.

Reply #937915 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

I'm fairly confident that LJ will get selected.

I don’t think that she’s mobile enough, but her experience, strength around the basket, 3-point shooting and long service to the sport will see her selected, I reckon.

I’d rather see LJ going than Blicavs, based on current form and health.

Reply #937918 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

LJ said she's done...
About the fifth time she has said this since the qualifiers.
Be clear or be gone.

Reply #937919 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Be clear or be gone.

This.

LJ, you're a legend. You're the undisputed GOAT.
But kindly stop screwing around with our national team.
Last olympics it was Cambage wrecking the culture and derailing the tournament for the entire team.
Don't do a similar thing this olympics, please.

Reply #937920 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/basketball/breaks-my-heart-lauren-jackson-wants-support-for-kids-travel-to-paris-in-shock-olympic-comeback-bid-20240308-p5fase.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

'Australia's greatest basketballer Lauren Jackson has revealed she will seriously consider emerging from retirement to play at the Paris Olympics, provided Basketball Australia delivers financial and practical support to allow her to travel with her two young children.’

Reply #937921 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Agreed Luc. Like I don't think she's a culture wrecker, certainly helped with it during the WC, but it's just a distraction right now and after a while all the comebacks become a circus. It's also a bit...much how BA rely on her, like it's their only strategy when they think about women's sport is to make everything about LJ.

Reply #937923 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Last month

"Australia's greatest basketballer Lauren Jackson has revealed she will seriously consider emerging from retirement to play at the Paris Olympics, provided Basketball Australia delivers financial and practical support to allow her to travel with her two young children.'

So her selection is conditional on BA paying for her kids and I would imagine kids minders to go to the Olympics.

Highest paid Australian women's basketball player asking for money to represent her country , please.

Reply #937924 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

The article states it's the third time she has retired and come back.

Reply #937925 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Put all the accolades to the side, hide the drama and hysteria, it's only ever been all about Lauren. Always has been and always will be. Not as retarded as Garbage but in the same context.

Reply #937927 | Report this post

Grimace  
Last month

It will be interesting to see what changes Chambers makes for her defensive scheme on Thursday. Their man was leaving the weakside open off penetration and the zone had holes.

Conversely it seems Petrik has switched up the zone offence from before Aari was injured. Maley at the top and Potter in the dunkers spot rather than Potter at the top and maley on the wing.

I was surprised how little the Flyers seemed to run for their bigs. You'd think they'd run more given Perth's lack of bigs and the fact that Southside usually shoots the lowest number of threes.

Reply #937928 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

While Perth lack big's, between Maley, Potter, Clinch-Hoycard and Hannan, combined with playing zone, it is not easy for Southside to score in there. They have more height and better defensive players than Melbourne, so the game plan MAY NOT work as easy. Let's see I guess.

Reply #937945 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

GAME DAY BALA GAME DAYYY!!!

Reply #938310 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

So... have Southside got a game 3 push in them? I kinda suspect not, but hope so, coz more basketball.

I don't see why not.
Talent and experience-wise, the Flyers are far from out of it. Look at the respective rosters before the season - which one looks like the contender?

Just 2 years ago the Lynx blew the Boomers off their own court in GF game 1 (by an even bigger margin than our spanking of the Flyers the other day), but lost the series.
Run & gun-designed teams are always going to be prone to that at playoff time if things don't go to Plan A, because they don't have the luxury of a Plan B.

Lynx have to run relentlessly & stay in attack mode but without losing the plot & taking bad options. Last game everything was dropping early so there was no test of mental fortitude. But how do we react if we come up empty on our first bunch of threes instead of nailing them .. if the Flyers get the early upper hand and the venue gets quiet & anxious .. if we always collecting the ball from the basket instead of rebounding & running.
There's a fine line between being attacking and being reckless.

Defensively it hinges a lot on Potter again. She did a great job last game, though the Flyers did a poor job of testing her IMO. More of that tonight, knowing that help will arrive. There are some underrated defenders on the Lynx team so I'm hopeful we can compete again at that end.

I expect Southside to respond strongly. There's a lot of quality there that makes them unlikely to beat themselves so we need to hold our nerve and go take them down. Keep getting the easy buckets like the transition layups when LJ is barely out of the backcourt. Those are deflating.

To me it 90% a mental battle from here, and the expectation is on Perth this time so it doesn't have the same "free hit" feel about it.

Nervous but cautiously optimistic.

Reply #938323 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Nervous too! A big game 2 comeback and I think the series favouritism swings back to Southside going back to Melbourne.

It does seem a bit bad that Perth's strategy seems to be Plan A or Plan A underlined, but it's worked out so far so why not! As Luuc said, just gotta keep getting the same things right.

I can't remember well how the stadium was like last GF series, wonder if they added extra seating, no idea where but a sell out crowd so should be rocking.

Reply #938333 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

When you're on a shoestring budget you don't get to build a roster for plans A, B & C.

Seating chart looked pretty standard when I was watching how sales were going. Will be nice to see the place full again.

Reply #938335 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

At least Aari-ball provides a point of difference to Atwell 3-ball if things go cold.

Do wonder how Southside will play with their bugs v Potter/MCH

Reply #938343 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Last month

Bench Rocci start puoch on Atwell . Got nothing to lose she is long and athletic.

Reply #938348 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

GAME DAY BALA GAME DAYYY!!!

I'm excited.

Reply #938352 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

I think those two missed threes by Atwell could sum up the game for Perth. Shootings gone cold, and Southside much better D themselves this game and spreading the floor better. Plenty of elbows flying about too.

Still a chance with Perth's scoring ability to come back.

Reply #938356 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Perth been crap, to many threes chucked up, lay ups missed. It'll need a complete turnaround.

Reply #938357 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

I don't mind the missed threes as much as all the missed layups!

12 is nothing if we can fix things up this half, but geez we can't afford Flyers to get the first run of momentum now.

Reply #938358 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Decent third quarter reduction to the deficit.

Reply #938363 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Even decent-er fourth quarter of almost evening it up.

Reply #938366 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

OMG what an awful sequence of plays, after levelling it up, followed by a dagger.

Reply #938367 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Buzzer beating dagger too.

Reply #938368 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

O.M.G.

Reply #938369 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Dam Maley couldn't hit free throws or make a layup in the final few possessions.

Reply #938370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Gut wrenching it didn't at least go to OT after all of that momentum.

Reply #938371 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Should never have lost that, crapped their pants. Free throws and then a lay up.

Reply #938372 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

It feels like somebody hit repeat on the 2022 Grand Final.

Reply #938373 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Didn't look anything like Perth in the first half.
Another long trip and the home crowd, expect another tight game like tonight.

Reply #938374 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Wow, what a comeback. Absolutely gutted for Maley at end there. Plenty of positives to take out of that. Southside were the team making their shots, making those dark arts count. Thought Russell had a bad game until that last second swish, absolutely deflated the stadium.

There was 5-6 seconds lost there at about 1:20 which could've been key either way, no idea what that was about. Refs for most part let them play.

Reply #938375 | Report this post

DMc  
Last month

The irony of Anneli Maley releasing a podcast episode yesterday titled "how to deal with failure"!

I hope she is ok.

Reply #938376 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Maley made 4 big mistakes in about 25 seconds.
Hopefully a full house on Sunday. Pity it's not at the SBC.

Reply #938377 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Funny that I could watch this and never really felt the ref's were pulling for one team over the other, interesting contrast to nbl where it seems for the most part all they do.

Reply #938383 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Jeez, that clock ran down from 1:24 to 1:11, then they stopped and it went down to 1:09. Whole stadium going crazy, Petrik most worked up I've seen him and refs didn't go check? 15 seconds is nearly a whole shot clock. Bizarre and amateur.

Apologies to Russell, given match MVP. Didn't realise she had so many boards, felt there was a few key plays she turned it over. Perth got it wrong with Ernst leaving her open plenty, bit surprising as Petrik would've coached her? LJ was probably the quietest of their bigs but they combined well and used their advantages well this game.

Bec Cole was essentially Atwell's shadow all game, she must be pleased.

Reply #938385 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

10.30am tipoff for game three means I won't be watching, so that's an extra fun little piece of news to add to what has been a tremendously shitty week.

Reply #938386 | Report this post

Cram  
Last month

Southside very lucky to pull that out in the end. They couldn't stop dribble penetration all night and Perth just missed so many good looks which was the difference in the game.

I'm glad there's more basketball, but hope Perth can get up. Feel like we're due a monster LJ game though

Reply #938389 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Last month

"Feel like we're due a monster LJ game though"

Saving her next Monster game until the Masters games on the Gold Coast Nov 2024.

Reply #938391 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Lynx are favourites for Game 3.

Reply #938452 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

I'm not sure how they stuff that game clock up. The ref's or the scoretable. Amatuer hour

Reply #938467 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Stunned that there would be any hint of amateur hour in the WNBL!

Reply #938471 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Reportedly the final score was incorrect by three points in Southside's favor. Something seems to have happened in the first half that either should have led to the Lynx scoring three points that weren't recorded, or which saw Southside given three points they shouldn't have had.

Reply #938476 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last month

In Southsides favour or Lynx's? I noticed in the broadcast, that Jason guy claimed that Cole’s 3 in the 2nd rimmed out but it rimmed in. He then said that Maley "almost went out of court..." um, she did go out of court Jadon, she had to inbound the ball! Maybe that’s where the mistake occurred?

Reply #938482 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

koberulz - where is this being reported?

WhatFootloose is saying is so true. I remember that as well. It looked likeit went in from broadcast, but maybe not...?

Reply #938483 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last month

It definitely went in, Jason said it didn't & maybe the clearly incompetent scorebench thought it missed as well

Reply #938486 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

KR If you watch the broadcast Q1 7:25 2pt basket is made but score goes from 6-11 then drops back to 9 Then at 6:57 is adjusted to 8.

Coles 2nd basket definitely dropped.

Clock run on is on the score table, although refs should be observant enough to pick it up and adjust.

Reply #938487 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

I've heard it from multiple people. Wouldn't consider it particularly credible from any of them individually, but that their accounts align is interesting.

Reply #938488 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

The 4th quarter clock stuff-up has been acknowledged by the WNBL.

Score error is news to me. That would be a much bigger deal if it had actually happened (especially considering the Lynx have already been burned by one of those this season) so I'm guessing there's nothing to it.

Reply #938491 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Where did the WNBL acknowledge this? But then appoint the same 3 referees responsible for game 3. Remarkable

Reply #938493 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

especially considering the Lynx have already been burned by one of those this season
When was this?

Reply #938494 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last month

they can't have seriously appointed the same 3 refs?!

Reply #938495 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

When was this?

Narrow loss to the Flames in Round 11
https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-admits-they-signed-off-on-the-wrong-score-for-perth-lynx-during-close-loss-to-sydney-flames-c-13244187

Reply #938497 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Bush league.

Reply #938498 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Can't see anything on their socials about admitting fault. Also very little media coverage in general which is rather frustrating. Most in depth recap I've seen was on Boti's site.

Reply #938499 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Narrow loss to the Flames in Round 11
https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-admits-they-signed-off-on-the-wrong-score-for-perth-lynx-during-close-loss-to-sydney-flames-c-13244187
First I've heard of this.

Reply #938501 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

https://thewest.com.au/sport/nbl/wnbl-launch-grand-final-investigation-into-clock-mistake-after-southside-flyers-beat-perth-lynx-on-the-buzzer-c-13959817

Reply #938503 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

I don't understand why they can't do video review. Every single game has cameras pointed at the clocks for the duration of the game, so it would be trivial to sort out clock errors like that.

Even NBL1 had full IRS in place for the playoffs.

Reply #938505 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Yeah, not sure why common sense can't prevail on such an obvious one. It would have been a quick fix to get the clock correct again.
Even sillier when the head of the league is in the crowd, sees the issue herself in real time, but "doesn't have the authority to force any changes"

Reply #938506 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

I don't think it's a conspiracy, who knows what could've happened but to have the whole stadium pointing it out and then to stop and TAKE seconds off the clock. Just baffling incompetency from whoever the silver-haired Scott Foster impersonator was.

Reply #938518 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Minutes away from tip-off in the championship decider. GO LYNX!!

Reply #938536 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Lynx looking super nervous, can't score for 2.5 minutes, then SSF foul Atwell's 3PA. So dumb.

Reply #938537 | Report this post

cabbage  
Last month

Lynx look very bad.

Reply #938538 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

They look fine to me since Flyers let them off the early hook

Reply #938539 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Hoping for a Lynx win, but also Dickey to have a good game... she should have been the Southside nomination for 6th player of the year.

Reply #938541 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Their shot is going in at least, even Potter made a 3 but gee their defence needs to improve. The shots SF are getting compared to how well they're marking and locking down Atwell and MacDonald.

Reply #938542 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Very similar feel to game 2 so far

Reply #938543 | Report this post

Grimace  
Last month

3 seconds in the key seems to not exist this season.

Reply #938545 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Long way back now

Reply #938546 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Hey Anneli, you can't hit a thing atm. Maybe kick it out if you get an O-board and don't have an easy put-back. Your bricks are killin me.

Reply #938548 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Nah, she'll just keep shooting without running a proper offence.

Reply #938549 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Intentional early-clock 3 for Maley? That's a bizarre decision.

Reply #938550 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

15 point lead and Chambers still doesn't trust Puoch....

Reply #938551 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

I wouldn't either tbh

Reply #938552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

I'm not being nasty to Puoch btw.
But Chambers has spent the season regressing her development. Contrast that to Melbourne & Borlase. Get her out of Southside.

Reply #938553 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

15 points was Southside's biggest lead in game 2...think it's going to a lot harder to claw back this time.

The difference in quality between teams is showing. I'm frustrated of course but a bit perplexed that if this is how Southside can setup to play, particularly on defense, how they got it so wrong in Game 1. Perth doesn't have ability to answer this, need to rely on getting on another streak.

Reply #938554 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Luuuc 100% agree and sad to see her draft stock reduce in value in what could have been a breakout season for her. Her ceiling is still high, but I think she really does need a new environment and greater opportunity to take her development to the next level.

Reply #938555 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

She's still young so it's not that big a deal, but it really feels like a wasted year for her.
If it costs her some draft spots then that means very little in the scheme of things though. She'll be stashed regardless by her WNBA team.

Reply #938556 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Did I hear right, squad of 26 named for Opals to be announced at end of month? That's huge, hopefully as many of them can make it to the first camp as possible.

Reply #938557 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Last month

Maley looks cooked after her cowtly missed in game 2. She's making bad decisions and not even crashing the boards.

Reply #938558 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Last month

*costly misses

Reply #938559 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

That's a long list. Chance for BA to get Mitchell, O'Hea, Hodges, Screen back in the squad? :p

Reply #938560 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Southside are so unlikeable. How can you be so miserable and petulant with one hand on the title, ffs.

Reply #938561 | Report this post

West Whisper  
Last month

Do Jackson, Mitchell, Rocci, Cole, Chambers, Ernst etc EVER stop whinging, whining and complaining?

A blight on our game. They surely turn casual viewers away with their non-stop sooking.

Reply #938562 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

This whole series has been so 2022
:(

Reply #938563 | Report this post

cabbage  
Last month

Perth have been on the fast track to a 2022 choke repeat since tip off.

Reply #938564 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Hopefully the extended squad allows players like Amoore, Shelley, Bourne, Sharp, Potter, Nicholson get a look in.

Reply #938566 | Report this post

West Whisper  
Last month

Will Maley complain about the crowd being too mean for her like she did in Townsville last season.

0-9 shooting.. who will she blame?

Reply #938567 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Ref's need to try and calm this down at 3QT, this could get really ugly.

Reply #938568 | Report this post

Below_the_rim  
Last month

Do they not use the restricted area rule in the WNBL, because that charge call on MacDonald should've been a blocking foul.

Reply #938569 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

One missed free throw / open layup can be the difference between a GF sweep and a blow-out loss ;(

Reply #938570 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Nicholson is in Spain finishing the season.

You don't blow a victory like lynx did in game two and recover. Southside are very unlikeable but also very talented. Perth just don’t have a b game when a game is busted.

Reply #938571 | Report this post

Below_the_rim  
Last month

Haha, LJ commits a clear foul by hitting Atwell across the face and still throws her hands up after the call

Reply #938572 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Very unlikable but also very experienced. The collective 'wnbl games played' stat was largely ignored this season, but huge disparities across the league.

Reply #938573 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Last month

Feels like this season deserved a better end. Real anticlimax :(

Reply #938574 | Report this post

West Whisper  
Last month

Any other player in the league would probably get a tech for reacting like that. But Jackson isn't any other player...

Reply #938575 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

32 up and still no Puoch LOL

Reply #938576 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Yeah, why bother clearing the bench and giving them an opportunity...

Reply #938577 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Congrats to Dandenong Caravans, but I ain't watching this trophy presentation.

On the Opals, I don't think it matters where players are, any camps will be April to June, plenty of time for seasons to finish. The WNBA players will definitely be making final squads, so may not need to go to any camp.

Reply #938578 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Congrats Flyers, especially Cole & Russell - both great competitors and worthy champs.

Bummer of a game 3. Was always a possibility but it's not ideal for a league showcase title decider.

Still proud as hell of what the Lynx achieved this season overall. We weren't meant to be near the post-season let alone a bucket away from a title. Great group of people and (mostly) a very fun brand of basketball to watch.

Reply #938579 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last month

Cheryl Chambers will talking about how the team had 3 games in the final round of the season... gee you have just won the whole thing… does that really matter?

Reply #938580 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Yeah in a league of haves/have nots, being so close to a title is impressive as anything. The team deserves proper investment. Petrik has to fight his 0-2 record now.

Was Cole made GF MVP? One of those players who you want on your team but frustrates when on opposition (and not worst whinger on that team). Her defense on Atwell and consistent shooting helped decide the last two games.

Reply #938581 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

GF MVP is Russell
Cole wouldn't have been a bad choice either I agree

Reply #938582 | Report this post

Maybe  
Last month

Feel for the Lynx team, players, coaches and everyone who have contributed this season - they will come back. Can they get MacDonald next season?

Reply #938583 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

The word is that the Lynx will be back next season.
Getting Aari back feels unlikely though.

Reply #938584 | Report this post

Camel 94  
Last month

The sponsor on the front of the Lynx singlet own the biggest gold mine in Australia so they should be back and potentially have the same salary budget as the Dandenong Caravans

Reply #938589 | Report this post

Arky  
Last month

Took my son to the final after we went to the Flyers Bendigo blow-out, so he's clearly good luck for them!

Reply #938593 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Good win by Southside.
Chambers atleast changed it up, petrik has no plan b like people have said.

Atwell and Maley looked cooked after just 1 game.
Both will make extended opals squad me thinks but won't make the final team.

Brondello picks?

Melbourne
Whitcomb
Madgen
Borlase
Talbot
Allen
Garbin probably over Smith
Magbegor
George
Tolo
Jackson

Sandy will go with Wallace, Reid, Blicavs or Kunek for the last spot.

Reply #938603 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last month

Weedy, isn't Jackson retired from international basketball?

Reply #938607 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

If BA comes to the party and allows her family to go to Paris, she'll play

Reply #938609 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

She has made demands that her whole family goes and BA will have to pay for it.
Not sure why she keeps saying she is retiring and then keeps coming back, fourth time. I don't get it...

Reply #938610 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Surely Earnest should get a look in, been very good in the games I watched. Tall outside shooters are hard to guard. You guys that know a lot more about womens basketball can give your opinions.

Reply #938611 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Ernst can shoot and that's about it.

Reply #938613 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

You're selling her short Weedy, she can throw a mean elbow.

Reply #938615 | Report this post

DMc  
Last month

Plus talk a lot of smack and stare down players half her size.

Reply #938616 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

At least the Titans won won before their losing streak. Getting sick of this.

Reply #938618 | Report this post

What's not to like about the Flyers?

Reply #938863 | Report this post

What's not to like about the Flyers?

Reply #938864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754