word14
Last month

Darwin Convention Centre

A future NBL team could be based in Darwin, as the NT Government announced a $19.2 million investment into the Darwin Convention Centre, which will include a seating upgrade of more than 5,500
via (NT News)

Topic #52009 | Report this topic

+  
Last month

what sort of crowds would they regularly get ?

Reply #941978 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

They got 12,000 to the AFL game Gold Coast v Geelong

Reply #941979 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

The Darwin salties sellout home games regularly in nbl1 obviously a smaller stadium currently 2-3k I believe

Reply #941982 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

They should elevate Salties to the NBL rather than make a new team. it already has a following, just needs the resources. I don't know a lot about NT but if an NBl team is selling 2-3K seats on average there, it doesn't seem a stretch that a fully fledged pro team could double that.

Reply #941988 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

I think the salties will move into the development league space

Reply #941990 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Last month

That would be great. I was up there when they had the Blitz a few years back and that Darwin Convention Centre precinct is so nice.

I think that's basically Larry's ultimatum as far as allowing a team up there.

Reply #942005 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Last month

Sebastian-- Yes 12000 recently attended the AFL game in Darwin, but how many actually purchased tickets and how many were 'donated' to make it look like a good crowd?
You would think that a 'competitive' team playing in a modern stadium would regularly attract good crowds

Reply #942016 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

You do not think the same will happen in the NBL?

Reply #942018 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

5,500 is a bit low - they really should be redeveloping to ~7,000 capacity.

You want to future proof to avoid the JJs issue of requiring a further redevelopment.

I also question whether in 5 or 10 years' time, an NBL side can survive with an average crowd below 6,000.

Reply #942024 | Report this post

Kev  
Last month

NBL season is during the Wet. There is nothing else really on during that time except local footy. If games follow standard NBL time slots, with Darwin getting less Saturday night games, they have no competitors for the entertainment market. Indoor sport versus getting drilled by monsoonal rain.

The area already accepts crowds up to 6-8,000 for different events with good traffic flow out post these events.

NBL tourism would be a highlight. As an investment, it would certainly entertain the younger professionals who moved to Darwin but then get stranded on social events during the wet.

Darwin Dragons using a frilled neck would closer our strong Asian region and population with the dragon word, but keep an Australian animal from the ant in the mix.

Reply #942030 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 am, Mon 17 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754