Wild Child
Years ago

The 3 blind mice :-)

Noticed 3 umpires on each of the under 18 finals for the Norwood Classic.
I actualy thought they did a very good job.
Do people think the standard is much better with 3.

Does anyone know are they going to phase in 3 umpires on all levels? or is it just so they get to run less?

Topic #7012 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I'm not sure on whether there are plans for this to happen at state champs, but I'm certainly in favour of it.

I think 3 man officiating is often more comprehensive than 2 man for the simple fact it's much easier to get a good angle between 3 refs than with 2.

Great initiative by the Norwood organisers, especially as there were plenty of Vic refs over for the weekend, it opens up a few more spots for referees on GF day.

Reply #78633 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Maybe one day you will get 3 refs for most basketball games when people stop abusing them and they get better pay.

Reply #78638 | Report this post

Taco Boy  
Years ago

Only 3 refs....every game of basketball i've ever seen has hundreds of refs

(Mod: One of the more insightful comments ever posted on Hoops SA...)

Reply #78640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Only 3 refs....every game of basketball i've ever seen has hundreds of refs"

Yeah, and they all think that they had a better view sitting in the stands down the other end of the court than the actual one who is 3 metres from the play!

Reply #78643 | Report this post

brick city  
Years ago

Did anyone other than me notice how much better the Vic refs were? They were always so confident in there calls and seemed to be more consistent. They let the game be more physical, but are consistent with it, so you know where you stand.

Reply #78656 | Report this post

stockton  
Years ago

I am a little concerned with talk about 3 refs for games. As much as the idea of having more eyes on the court to officiate appeals to me, can we do it logistically. There have been a number of late night basketball games in which only one umpire has shown up. Not to mention, the prices for games have been incresing exponentially over the past few years. I think the increase might even be of a greater percentage than petrol. Since this is the case, can players (and parents of players) afford to pay the entry fees if 3 umpires were to be paid each game or would the umpires be happy to take a pay cut since technically they wouldn't be doing as much work?

Reply #78663 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Thats because they sent over high level umpires, the higher level umpires from SA don't work games over easter.

some think they are too good for it, so the organisers are left with mostly junior umpires.

Reply #78664 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Stockton,

I wouldn't suggest that it's a good idea to be run on a regular basis, however, I do feel for div 1 junior finals as well as even ABL finals it's quite a good idea. Not only are the games generally officiated better, but it also allows for rewarding more refs with finals spots, as well as giving them something different & fresh.

Wild Child,

Yes it's true that the Vics did (and generally do) send over some high level officials, I also think that quite a few senior SA refs were putting in over the weekend. This is possibly due to it being run by Andrew Filmer, but regardless of why they're out there, it's good to see.

Does anyone know if the Vics will be sending over any refs for State Champs, being that it's not on a long weekend (not that it ever was for them...).

Reply #78669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know about other stadiums Wild Child, but pasadena seemed to have Benn McDonald, Paul Welbourne and Daniel Hughes reffing games over the weekend, all of which ref ABA.

Reply #78670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only did it on the good finals for the easter carnival and it is sometimes run at wayville on friday nights

Reply #78685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wild child
some high grade refs have other commitments than ref carnvials.

all have done their hard yards over the years umpiring many many tournaments. whether it be a Geoff Weeks, a Phil Haines, a Nathan Durant, a Josh Wilson-Smith or a Michael Harvey.

these people would not have been as good if they hadn't had the opportunity to run many games and converse, and interact with many different refs over the course of a long weekend. If the senior refs come out they are often accused of taking games away from others, sometimes its a non win situation.

Many of the top refs enjoy umpiring with newcomers as it gives them the opportunity to give something back to the game they love.

Many newcomers are simply overawed by umpiring with a Andrew Filmer or a John Clover.

John Clover now works in the country and he does a massive trip back to town on the weekends to do ABA.

Some have university courses plus work plus basketball commitments - and to try to have a social life to fit into already very busy week.

Hoop Addict, many of the top elechon of umpiring are also very good friends. If your best mate or one of your best mates was UIC and asked you to do a few games wouldn't you want to help him out?

Reply #78695 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Yes - hence me saying the reason so many of the top refs were out was in large part due to Andrew Filmer co-ordinating it.

The fact was, they were there & it helps a tournament run smoothly if the refereeing is of high quality.

Reply #78698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon (#78695) WHAT MICHAEL HARVEY A TOP LEVEL REF, WHAT DRUGS HAVE U BEEN SMOKING????????????

That guy couldnt ref a game of basketball if his a#se was on fire.
one question, why is he not UIC at wayville anymore???

next thing ur going to be saying i that John Lawerence should be doing doing reserves OMG

Reply #78722 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

Ok fair point. saying they think they are too good for it was a unfair comment.

and yes there were some senior aba umpires doing games which is great.

overall quite a good standard considering there were so many games to cover.

let's hope the state champs umpiring is as good.

Reply #78751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Harvey along with Daniel Troy and Vanessa Devlin and a few others have the potential to be a top ref.

they are new to the ABA and will only improve with experience.

John Lawrence - Please don't insult me I wouldn't like to comment on a public forum what I personally think he should be doing (apart from not commenting about games on here) but it certainly is not reserves.

Reply #78752 | Report this post

Graham Hayes  
Years ago

Is this the same John Lawrence that lost to Daniel Laruso at the end of The Karate Kid?

Reply #79080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754