Kingman
Years ago

Clubs Debt?????

With the sale of the 36ers etc. what happens to the debt the Clubs owe BASA. BASA (Basketball South Australia) have just had there debt wiped according to news reports yesterday, so does this mean the Clubs also have there debt wiped, it seem fair to me. A fresh start for all. Which Club would have the most to gain if this happens? Would Clubs like Centrals have a better chance of survival without a debt? Would Basketball in general have a better chance of survival? Thoughts anyone

Topic #8038 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

This has been asked already in a few threads. I think somewhere there was the suggestion that these debts would not be wiped, but you'd want to wait for an official statement to clubs to be sure.

Reply #89856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should they have their debt wiped? Club debt is seperate to the BASA debt and should be paid back. Why should the clubs that have been bad at manageing their finances be rewarded with a clean slate?

Reply #89858 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I feel clubs like Sturt and Forestville will have their respective noses out of joint because they have worked hard not to get into debt.

Reply #89859 | Report this post

Awesome Man!  
Years ago

Let us settle this once and for all.

The BASA debt to the government is being written off by the government. THAT'S IT!

The money owed to BASA by the Member Clubs is a completely seperate issue. (Although it could be argued that if clubs did not get into debt with BASA that BASA might have had a much better chance of paying off the debt it has to the government.)

How many times do you people need to be told this!?

The debt owed to BASA still is owed and clubs who owe this money will still be asked to pay up what they owe...

"so does this mean the Clubs also have there debt wiped, it seem fair to me."

Translation: My club owes money and we would be better off not owing money so please have us not owe money now.

I ask you how this is fair to the clubs which have worked vry hard to stay out of debt or get out of debt including situations where Club Committee memebers have paid Club expenses out of their own pockets?

Do you think it is fair to Sturt for example. (sorry to bring up the infamous Sabres)

The Sabres home venue is now closed meaning the club has muc higher court hire costs and much lower income as their Canteen and Club Rooms are now closed. This club is staying out of debt for one reason ... Member/s of the Committee are paying the club's costs out of their own pocket.

How is simply wiping another club's debt fair on a cub like Sturt?

Awesome Man ... travelling around the world fighting crime according to his Awesome Plan

Reply #89860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Although it could be argued that if clubs did not get into debt with BASA that BASA might have had a much better chance of paying off the debt it has to the government" This is a ridiculous statement. Do not blame clubs for BSA poor decisions in terms of the Dome and a raw deal from the Govt.

Reply #89861 | Report this post

Awesome Man!  
Years ago

Obviously there's a difference between $10+M and the club debt.

The point I was trying to make is that BASA would be have been in a better position financially if clubs paid the money they owed.

Reply #89863 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

AM

Not necessarily, they just would of blown Mo' Money....

Reply #89869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The beauty of the new commission is that this decision will be out of the hands of the presidents/BASA club reps.

I would think that they will make decisions based on consultation and what is in the best interest of basketball in the state.

Basketball is finally released from the shackles of the clubs.

Reply #89896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The paper today mentioned that BASA would be still running the local district competition, from that I concluded that Basketball SA would sit above BASA, Church & Country etc and administer them. In some ways I see this as being good but do we really need another committee.

I am pretty sure this is a bit similar to the way things work in NSW. But rather than there being just 1 district comp there are a number of "conferences" - but not like Victoria where you have local association comps.

North
North
Norwood
Woodville
West
South
Sturt
Forestville
South
Great North
Centrals
Barossa
Greater South
Southern

+ include other teams ie Western Magic, Torrens Valley, Gawler Gunners (are they still around) etc.

so if i left out any teams you get the idea

This would lead to much more emphasis on State Championships also, and they would be even more prestigious. I am just throwing out ideas....

Reply #89935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume/hope the above is for lower levels (say below div 2) of junior basketball - or else we might be in a bit of trouble trying to develop our top-end players?

Reply #89943 | Report this post

S.A. or Bust  
Years ago

89935, these systems may work over the border, but I feel that our much smaller population here would not let them work here. By grouping them in conferences as you list them,(eg. North) you would play each team every 3 weeks. The only advantage I can see, is a saving in travel time and cost.

Reply #89997 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

I dont get what you are saying. I didnt see the paper so I am unclear.
Are you saying Bsa is a seperate identity too basa, and Basa still exists?
playing 4 teams in a conference?

North Conf
Nwd
North
Centrals
Barossa

West Conf
South
West
Woodville
Forrestville

South Conf
Sturt
Southern
Millicent?

Doesnt seem ideal or workable

Reply #89998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Damage,

I for one am glad you have no involvement in the restructure.

Sturt, Southern & Millicent!? Yeah Millicent is only 4 hours away, that would be it.

South in a West conference ... SOUTH

Ummm DrD and everyone else, why not wait, be paitent and let those who know what they're doing make the decisions.

Reply #90009 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

and i think Eastern Mavs might have something to say about not even being entered in Dr D"s new conference league...

Reply #90013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 pm, Wed 1 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754