Anonymous
Years ago

Tomorrow's Heat and Playing Basketball

Channel 10 have said it's 40 and channel 9 said 43.

I rang up to see if I could cancel our social basketball game tomorrow in one of the older stadiums and I was told we would be charged $70.

How crap is that?

Topic #10047 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

S-T-I-N-G-Y

Reply #114830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What stadium would that be?

Reply #114832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MARION.

Reply #114836 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

You'll find that the refs will be calling time outs every 5 or 10 minutes anyway for the heat.

"House time out" or something like that. They did it on a Saturday at another stadium, when junior social teams were playing in the heat of the day.

Reply #114844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams should be given the chance of not playing with no fee involved.

The last thing basketball needs in this state his something bad happening to any players.

Basketball SA should step in here and stop games at any stadiums without air conditioning or at least give teams the option of not playing.

Reply #114845 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If a stadium doesn't have aircon and games are still to be played they should provide all players with 'ice jackets'.

Reply #114870 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

I'm not sure if Basketball SA have a heat policy? If they don't, they probably should put one in place.

I know the SACA have a heat policy for all junior & senior grades. All Bank SA (U/17's) games scheduled for today were cancelled last night due to the extreme conditions forecast for today.

Reply #114875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To the original poster - I reckon call The Advertiser and TV stations. Doesn't sound like a fair situation to me to be required to play indoors in that heat.

Reply #114893 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Don't be a pussy! Try cycling in the tour down under today in this heat!!! Do you think they'll be asking to call it off???
You get an extra time out every period from what I believe, use them wisely, drink plenty of fluid and you will be fine. Geez your only going to be playing a zone defence anyway!!!

Reply #114895 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Cool change coming thourgh this arvo.. hopefully that will make it a bit more bearable

Reply #114898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome! I can have an extra time out... where the clock continues to run?

Still a H & S issue, IMO, but whatever. If BSA are dumb enough to let kids play in this kind of heat, then they won't cancel senior social.

Of course, it takes a few days for the stadiums to heat up...

Reply #114903 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I've been waiting almost an entire season for Vodafone arena to heat up.

Reply #114907 | Report this post

Tacho8oI  
Years ago

LMFAO be a man well I assume you're a man! You're sooking about a $70 fine, why dont you just play? As someone said earlier there is a cool change coming so it should make it easier to play. I'm sure there wont be any other teams on that night complaining. I'm sure you play in a low graded team and are the monkey of the team so I'm sure the team wont mind if you dont show up. Once again as someone else said think for the Tour Down Under riders, they're working harder and are outdoors.

Reply #114930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kind of hard to compare a fully well paid professional doing their job and a person playing social basketball.

maybe compare them with a brickie or council worker.

people need to understnad that basketball is a service provided to a customer. making a customer pay $70, becasue of them being forced to play in 40 degree heat is not very smart IMO. chances are this customer could go into another spot like soccer if they do not force cancellation fee's on hot days.

Reply #114938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, you're the pussy!

Reply #114954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This argument about heat won't resolve until someone dies from heat exhaustion and then all the critics of having a heat policy will be the first to question why BSA didn't have an effective one that provided a duty of care to its clientele.
District junior basketball is run under BSA's heat policy which doesn't work and has no one on site prepared to enforce cancellations.
Stadiums like Wayville and Norths to name but 2 are venues that heat up so much that evening games can be played in extreme conditions and where certainly a fatality will eventually occur.
What is interesting is that a number of country associations have a 40 degree cancellation policy but then country is always ahead of metro.
Make no mistake, BSA's ridiculous non policy is litigation in waiting.

Reply #114958 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

I agree with Panther... every basketball player has the CHOICE to play. Don't like the heat, don't play and pay the fine. If you are strong and smart enough to play without it being an issue, go for it and have fun. Toughen up and hydrate properly and it's no big deal.
Stop sooking about having to pay a fine just because you want to duck out and have a few too many ice cold after work beers!!!

Reply #115090 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Nice come back there anonymous (#114954), good to also see your man enough to put your name on your post. I'm no tough guy and i'm certainly not one of the fittest blokes to ever play the game, but i've played for 24 years and never missed a game or had a game cancelled because it was too hot. If anyone was at the state league grand final last year, when South played Norwood at Wayville, that was hot!!!
Seriously, it's social for god's sake! How hard do you play in a social game? No one plays and legitimate defense, players walk the ball up the court and 8 out of ten times someone jacks up a three! I don't really see much running there people!!!

Reply #115136 | Report this post

Ron Jeremy  
Years ago

Couldn't agree with you more Panther. Back in my day, games were never cancelled due to the heat and its no hotter today than it was back then. Heck, nowadays a lot of my movies made on the pool deck are done when it is 40+ degrees outside.

Reply #115238 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754