Anonymous
Years ago

Redbacks doing a 36ers

Redbacks are going from bad to worse getting caned in Perth inside 2 days. Just wonder how much respect the guys have for the coaching staff who never set the world on fire themselves and SACA heads who want the guys to do things they never did.
At least Phil was a quality basketball player with multiple premierships fame to backdrop his current underachieving season but I doubt Nobes or Phillips would ever have been called quality cricket players, disciplined or leaders. Maybe the changes need to start with them.

Topic #10118 | Report this topic

thomo  
Years ago

i think you will find phillips had a respectful test career 27 test matches at and average of 33 for a wicket keeper including centurys in the westindies during the early/mid 80's when they were the best in the world. any one who plays at the top level for more then 10 test is obviously doing something right,

as for paul nobes never played for australia but for sa and vic including 2 shield titles and one 1 day title and scored 2 hundreds in shield finals, and averaged over 40 for nearly 10 years at shield level,

i understand what your saying to a degree, but please dont think these guys have not achieved any thing in there respective careers

Reply #115880 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Redbacks were putting in poor performances before the 36ers ever got the idea. This is the first year that we've been this poor, whereas the Redbacks have been giving up their wickets for a few years now.

Reply #115904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rtdbacks are worse than the sixers. Redbacks are a team that include the 2004, 2005 and 2006 most promising player (tait, cosgrove, cullen) and they still cant win a game.

Reply #115918 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I'd argue that the 36ers are doing a Redbacks

Reply #115928 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

heard from a reliable source that Phillips would be replaced by Marsh at season end.

Reply #115930 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

that would be the ideal result, i know marsh has just been appointed as the coaches coach for the remainder of the season

Reply #115935 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Tell me how this is Flippers fault?

He isn't on the selection panel so he has no say over the players who are or are not chosen to don the red cap.

Can you imagine Neil Craig or Mark Williams being told by a committee who will line up on any given week.

No chance in hell that would happen so for Flippers head to roll is a shame.

Reply #115951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could Nobes lecture players on weight and fitness and could phillips keep a straight face when telling young players to accept responsibility and play with a straight bat, I don't think so. Neither of these gentlemen would be satisfied with their careers which at best were mediocre. SA needs better credentialled leaders if it is to rise above that mediocrity.
What's lacking at the SACA is respect for those in charge and players don't listen to guys who they can reply in their minds, 'Well you bloody didn't'.
Marsh did the business, takes no %#^$&* and thats whats needed.

Reply #115963 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Get rid of Phillips and Nobes.

Drop Cossie...he is a joke, is 10kg off of playing for his country but he still can't get fit.

Ferguson, so much so called 'potential', should spend all of next year in grade cricket.

Manou, seriously dude just get lost.

Make no mistake we are a 2 man team. Tait and Gillespie.

Reply #115971 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

add shane dietz to the side would make a big difference i mean seriously whats he got to do to play, has made a 100 in the pura cup only to be dropped next match for manuo

Reply #116043 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Ryan Harris...tries his heart out every game, probably only good thing to come out of this year

Reply #116090 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

And what more does Nathan Adcock have to do to get a regular game?

Reply #116109 | Report this post

The Sixers are doing it tough, but the Redbacks are by far the bigger basketcase, and have been for a while.

The 36ers' over-reliance on Maher falls shy of the Redbacks' ridiculous dependence on Boof. I would add Boof to that list of yours, kdog - 1. Boof, 2. Tait, 3. Dizzy, then daylight.

Elliott's gone, Cossie continues to confound, and Manou is a disgrace, a C-grade club standard batsman.

There's a long-standing losing, negative, undisciplined culture at the SACA, which goes way beyond Nobes or Flipper. Remember we were not much better with Greg Chappell pulling the strings, and as a player, he was one of the greats, relatively speaking at least Smyth's equal.

Reply #116169 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i would add Dan Cullen to that list, he is of international standard with the ball

Reply #116201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately I think Mr Cullen has more chance of dancing at an international ball than bowling one effectively.

Reply #116214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754