Isaac
Years ago

Hemmerling to meet with Smyth, team

36ers' owner Mal Hemmerling will meet with coach Phil Smyth and the players this week to see if there's anything he can do to get the team back on track as they head into a meeting with the rampant Brisbane Bullets this Saturday.

"I believe this team is capable of being in the eight. But I'm not convinced they believe it."

Hemmerling said he would meet with coach Phil Smyth today and also meet with the players.

"Why is the team performing below capacity? I want to know is there something I can do? I don't get in and interfere with the coach and his team.

"But I'm the bloke who signs the cheques and I have a particular interest in the team performing well. If the team, is serious, I'm serious."
Full story on AdelaideNow

Topic #10128 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Mal should read HoopsSA and get an idea of what fans think the problem is. If he believed only one percent of the criticism, he'd know the answer: use by dates, personalities and structure.
Longevity in coaching success is about constantly hitting the refresh button. We need to reboot!

Reply #115961 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Its not just about "getting in the eight" we've been there the past couple of years only to get knocked out in the first round. It seems Phil feels if he gets the team to eigtht position he's done his job.
What we need is a new broom to create a competitive team for the whole season. And unfortunately Mal, I think the team is already "on its death-bed" and its about time "heads should roll"...

Reply #115964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta feel for Mal coming into a season like this.

Reply #115970 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Phil is out the door people!

Reply #115973 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Sorry got to say Mal, too little too late

Reply #115974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times have the sixers been hammered by 30-40 points in the last few seasons ? Too many.

Reply #115979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil isn't going anywhere.

Reply #115980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil isn't going anywhere ? - then neither is the team.

Reply #115981 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

If it was me with the cheque book I think I'de want a little more value for money

Reply #115988 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

as a season ticket holder I want more value for money worse decision to renew my tickets for the current season.

I might opt to be a walk up next season and just chose my games unless the product offered is vastly superior.

Reply #115999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe everyone should jump on the Lightning bandwagon.... They can at least win the majority of their games, are all under 40 and to my eyes at least are much nicer to look at.

Reply #116003 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

If Maher isn't resigned, I will never be attending a Sixers game again.

But seriously they need to basically start a fresh with the team.

Reply #116006 | Report this post

Loyal 36ers Fan  
Years ago

good to see the vast array of loyal fans......so are you saying that if the 36ers start winning next season you wont jump back on the bandwagon?

YEAH RIGHT. I am sure you will.....

Reply #116012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can handle the sixers losing games, so long as it's not by 30-40 points. All I want is a coach that appears to give a toss. I'll still be there next season regardless of who the coach or team is. (and attending as many away games as possible) I'd just like to be proud of the team I support, not embarrassed.

Reply #116015 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I don't care if we lose, if I was watching young guys busting their ass and still not winning, so be it, but when I see some - not all - going through the motions half heartedly that is when I can't stand it.

Reply #116016 | Report this post

everyonesanexpert  
Years ago

Have to agree with you Bizzy.
Wouldn't mind either if the team was getting hammered and the coaching staff appeared to be trying to fix the situation, rather than persist with the same old crap that led to the 30 point deficit - i.e let's keep shooting 3's even though none have gone in all night.

Reply #116020 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #115961,
The last thing Mal should do is listen to the fans on this forum. For a start, he wouldn't have weeks of spare time to sift through all the rubbish to find a few posts giving good advice. Secondly, he has a proven record of success with world class sporting involvements, I would be inclined to put everything into his hands. With all the posts regarding how incapable Phil is at the Head Coach position, don't you think he would be aware of whether Phil is capable or not. My guess is he already has ideas for next season and a hitlist of wanted players. He would also be working on strategies to getting the players he wants. This meeting would be to try and see out this season with heads held a little higher than what they are now. I wouldn't for a minute think that he is trying to make a success of something that has already failed and much too late to salvage.

Reply #116022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perhaps not read every post, but he would remain aware of the general consensus of the fan hivemind on things like the possibility of losing Maher, keeping/removing Smyth. Winning is one thing, selling tickets is in the mix too.

But yes, he's not going to be counting the for and against posts on here and using those to make a decision!

And also, yes, they have targets and ideas for targets to next year's roster. This coming off-season will be very interesting.

Reply #116024 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, it will be interesting, i hope Mal is very proactive and involved in the recruiting like a Mark Cowan at the Dragons, he atleast appears to be very involved in it and seems to do everything he can to get the players he wants and did a pretty good job in the end in my opinion with what was available, im dont think there would be too many players the dragons targetted who signed else where in the NBL so i hope Mal/Smyth can work together and put together a great team for next year!!

Reply #116028 | Report this post

everyonesanexpert  
Years ago

Is that fact Isaac (They already have targets for next years roster) or just the company line given to the media from the marketing department ?

Reply #116030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Isaac they aren't contracted players ;)

Reply #116041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would say fact. Though there is a difference between talking about something and doing it.

Jonno, one player that the Dragons went for and didn't get was Brett Wheeler!

Reply #116063 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That's too bad Isaac. Our season could have been different if the Dragons got Wheeler. With the money spent on Wheeler, I shudder to think what else it could have bought.

Reply #116069 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Hingsight is great and yes the deal for Wheeler has failed but if we didn't sign Wheeler who could we have signed?

The fact is the team needed another big and he was the one that was left and we weren't alone in trying to get him.

Dragons got Burston which hasn't worked either, it's just the nature of the game, you can't completely predict what your going to get out of a player.

Reply #116071 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Isaac for Sixers GM!

Reply #116072 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'll support the Sixers regardless,but geez it's getting harder and harder to front up to a game.

No one wants to spend money wathching their team becoming increasingly disinterested and sinking further into a hole.

The policy of recruiting all veterans has failed. We need a mix of youth and seasoned guys.

Personally - no. I don't believe Smyth should be here next year, despite his track record. There's been too many jaw-droppingly inexplicable coaching decisions for mine.

Reply #116084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would've liked to have seen the 36ers take on Austin Smylie and see how he went. Rychart-style clean-ups on offense, good percentage from outside, and was strong enough to compete inside.

Would've provided what Timmons does now at least.

Reply #116093 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i was half expecting Smylie to be picked up from some of the articles n stuff i read, how come he didnt??? was he asking too much cash?? could we pick him up next season?? as he seemed to put up good stats in the ABL and a hustling player would have been great to replace dusty!! it will be very interesting to see who they sign this off season!!

Reply #116095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure. The Kings were aware of him prior to his Sturt stint and Perth wanted to trial him. Steve Breheny saw him play many times so maybe he thought he would not be a good fit.

I don't know that he would've changed the fortunes of the team, but was just curious in retrospect as to how he might've gone.

Reply #116100 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

let the seals decide who's on the team and who to target heck we'll even coach the team if required.

Reply #116135 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hehehe, the seals coaching..im sure the passion would be there, but who is handling fitness???

Reply #116157 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Do you think Mal is going to suit up for the remainder of the year?

Couldn't hurt!

He would fit in the age bracket!

Reply #116162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bizzy wouldn't help the team with his injury record. I think those crutches have become fused to his body!

Reply #116163 | Report this post

booga is running the fitness program skip and bizzy do the coaching and i am

the psychologist

hehehehehehe

Reply #116226 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

bugger coaching, I like my hair too much!

Reply #116229 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Wouldn't Smylie have been an import? He may have been good for the team off the bench, but I doubt an import spot would have been filled with him.

Reply #116238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, dual citizenship.

Reply #116240 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i will coach team rules will be no easy lay ups i dont care if you foul.If you get less then 4 fouls a game then your just not playing D.Any one caught passing the ball when they have an open lane will be benched. If the oppisition dont recieve one injured player in the game the next training u will all be doing stair climbs for the whole of training. If players dont call for the ball then dont give them the damm ball. Pre game will be watching reruns of the detriot bad boys games and the last rule is their are no excuses for losing.

Reply #116241 | Report this post

Happy_Harry  
Years ago

You can see why Booga only coaches Div 5 under 12 girls.

Reply #116244 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i got replaced from that team it was either i go or the team get free tissues from the club cost saving got to hate it

Reply #116246 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

vote one..booga as coach..will be interesting to see how long it takes for the team to gell with this well thought out approach.

Wait, i have just noticed he has no time out plans...sorry booga...that is apparently unacceptable.

Reply #116470 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

time outs thats easy if they are losing i'll rip em a new one if they are winning i'll praise the hell out of, em which do u think they would prefer. they will start playing with some heart,desire and passion then.

Reply #116500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they're losing, say you'll moon them if they get down by double figures. Not quite an incentive!

Reply #116503 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754