Bored at work
Years ago

What big basketball games have you seen?

Just curious to know if anyone has been a specatator at any "big time" and memorable sporting games - NBA Finals , outstanding performances etc. etc. and what thoughts and memories they took away. Me, I was lucky enough to catch Kareem's farewell game at the Forum (mind you from the second last row)and watch Magic get or go very close to a triple double and walked alogside Jack Nicholson in a white tuxedo!!

Topic #10174 | Report this topic

colonel clink  
Years ago

1993 - div 4 u14 g GF

Reply #116515 | Report this post

watch the sixers win there first championship in twelve years in 98.
very special. pity my video camera got stolen three weeks earlier otherwise i would have had the celebrations on tape.

nearly nine years later i still remember that day.

Reply #116533 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I was at the game where Vinsanity jumped over the 7 foot Frenchy at the 2000 Olympics. Not a classic game in terms of things going down to the wire but an absolute classic in terms of explosive dunks - including the best dunk of all time.

Fans had been waiting all game for Vince to do something like that, when he got the loose ball around half court the stadium was buzzing with anticipation, as he came in and threw it down the whole stadium erupted, people were standing up, there was electricity in the air like I've never felt at a sporting event. For the next minute or 2 no one saw any of the game, we were all watching the big screen waiting for the replay, and when the replay came a similar buzz went round the stadium with only slightly intensity, almost like an aftershock. Highlight of the games for me by a country mile.

Reply #116537 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

billo, I know you probably dont remember, but did the ref call a charge on VC? Because technically, the defender owns all the area inside his 'cylinder' up to the roof, so even though there wasnt much contact the ref probably should have called a charge on Carter, not that I would ever make that call in a full stadium!!

Reply #116545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not really at the same level as Olympic matches, but memorable games for me include the 2002 championship win over the Pigs and then the party at The Planet afterwards, Darren Ng putting in a monster game to get Sturt over Forestville in a game they were expected to lose heavily, and another final from that season where David Cooper had the rebounding record and a near triple double to drag the Flames back up, before Jason Dix hit a big three to win the game.

Reply #116554 | Report this post

russzz  
Years ago

I saw Lou Alcinder (aka) Karem Abdul Jabars' first profesional game he played in the NBA. It was in Milwaukee, where he played for one or two seasons until he got bored with the lack of nite life there.

Reply #116564 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I was sitting in the row directly behind the Chicago Bulls bench at the United Centre in 1996. It was game six against the Sonics. In the second quarter with the Bulls up by 11, MJ had the ball slapped from his hands and it travelled up into the air and landed in my lap. So, there I was holding the game ball with MJs sweat all over me.

Nah, not really. The 2003 ABL GF was one of the best I have seen. Eagles vs Rockets, came down to the wire with Ziggy having a 3 point attempt within the last few seconds. Blew it, Eagles win.

Reply #116566 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

For mine to date would be the 98,99 and 02 Sixers championships,

and the Gold Medal Aus vs NZ (both Men and Women) at the Commonwealth Games last year.

Reply #116570 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Gold Medal game Sydney Olympics US V Australia

all games Aust played (men) at the Montreal Olympics

Reply #116577 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Was in Portland when that stacked Lakers team with Shaq, Kobe, Payton and Malone came to town. They needed to the Blazers to claim top spot in the WEST. Kobe hit a game tying 3, and then went on to hit the game winner finishing with 38 (i think). Awkward moment was when a Blazer fan, on the way out, was yelling "I dont care he is still a rapist!"

Reply #116582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #116587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #116590 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

VC fan, certainly wasn't called as a charge, I think it was just a no call from memory, there wasn't actually too much contact, just the bottom of Vince scrotum on the top of the French guy's head.

Reply #116646 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

You'd be a brave ref to call the best dunk in history a charge.

Reply #116649 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

i was there in 1998 in Melbourne and it was pretty cold that night awesome game and the whole last quarter was just a scream fest out cheering the south east melbourne crowd hahahaha. I was also lucky enough to see the Detroit pistons play GAME 5 against Lakers in the finals awesome atmospehere there as well the pre game intros were awesome and the crowd was so loud, ahhhh good times.

Reply #116673 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

the first ever game i went to see was game 1 or 2 (i think) when adelaide beat s-e melb magic... havnt seen a game as good since!!

Reply #116786 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Just type in Vince Carter France into YouTube and you can see the dunk. There was minimal contact at all with the guys head, I mean he stooped down a bit but was still 7"2. If my memory serves me right, I think the guy even played for the Knicks for awhile, yeah? WOulda copped alot of flak for that I bet!

Reply #116802 | Report this post

Boost  
Years ago

Im actually off to see the all star and rookie game in vegas in a few weeks time.. Should be a real big show..

Reply #116856 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Frederic Weis is the guy. He was drafted by the Knicks in 1999 before hometown NY favourite Ron Artest, despite the fact Weis had well-known back problems and refused to allow Knick doctors to examine him. He never actually played in the NBA and still plays in Europe.

Reply #116922 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Last year FIBA WCs in Japan - both semi-finals in Tokyo... Two unbeleivable games... USA v GRE and ARG v SPA... I was even happy to miss out on Gold Medal tix after those games - esp. considering the yawn-fest that the final ended up being...

Reply #117115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754