yogee
Years ago

LJ to miss entire WNBL season after surgery

Press release from Jackson's management team, via the WNBL office.

World basketball sensation, Lauren Jackson, returned home to Australia earlier today and immediately sought medical opinion on her right ankle injury. Dr. Scott Burne, Australian Opals sports physician, has confirmed that surgery is required immediately and this will involve a reconstruction, arthroscope and posterior clearance. Effectively, this will rule Lauren off the basketball court for the next 3 months.

Lauren is philosophical about the surgery and recognises that this procedure is very much an investment in her future. Lauren stated today that "it comes with the territory .... given the level I play at and with basketball being such a high energy sport, injuries are an unfortunate aspect of my craft. Playing basketball is what I am passionate about so this will ensure I am giving my body every opportunity to enjoy longevity in the sport".

"I understand that this a blow to the current WNBL season and Canberra Capitals fans but rest assured I will be working with the WNBL office on various promotions and upcoming charity events so I'll definitely be in contact with the fans through the coming season. I'm hopeful that the timing of this won't affect me fitting up for the Opals in the future".

In terms of her playing future, Lauren's manager, Robyn Danzey of Southern Cross Sports Marketing, has confirmed "we have opened discussions with interested parties for 2005 and beyond, including the Canberra Capitals of course, and will progress these negotiations on Lauren's behalf with a view to her being available to play during 2005".

Lauren will spend time with her family in Albury following surgery.

------------
Interesting to note that her management is negotiating her WNBL career at the moment. I sure hope the Lightning have a iron in that fire!

Topic #1032 | Report this topic

the appreciator  
Years ago

Jackson and Summerton on the boards for Lightning - now ther's a title in the making !
good call yogee

Pity - Canberra games with LJ would fill most stadiums - at least Tully will fly the WNBA flag

Reply #11556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754