Anonymous
Years ago

Dimes ... ?

The term 'dime', for assists, where did it come from? Wikipedia was no help.

What the link between a US 10c piece and an assist????

Topic #10582 | Report this topic

Nutwork  
Years ago

I think it is something like make passes & assists with ease... as easy as droppin' dimes.

Reply #122182 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

It could stem from the ability to pass the ball on a dime - that is a pin point pass.

Similar to stopping on a dime for a jump shot.

It also has the following meaning apprently:

"A hotass girl, thats so sexy that youd think about drinkin her bath water"

Well there you go....mmm..bath water..

Reply #122184 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Handing out money ?

Putting it in your team-mates pocket ?

Being unselfish ? Handing out "Dimes"

Reply #122189 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Submit ... "Hey Buddy can you spare a dime" a beggars request for (financial) assist(ance).

Reply #122193 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Isn't it because the dime has a picture of a basketballer, like our 20pc has a platypus.

Reply #122209 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Neptune the dime does not seem to have a picture of basketballer. Unless there is another version I have not seen.

Sween don't beggers usually start at the high end. "spare 50 bucks..." and work their way down to the dime? then when you give em a dime ask for more... "Now gimme that dollar, I saw a dollar in there" and proceed to work their way up "and that 5 dollar, you can spare that too". Could be a good call though.

I still don't know the answer but.

Reply #122215 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

It could be one of those limited edition ones.

Like the Bradman $1 or 20c (i forget). Or centenary coins...

Reply #122221 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

ah ok

Reply #122223 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

I think the term drop us dime , or dropping a dime came from guys on the streets slipping dime bags in each others pockets or shorts with out anyone noticing . It became quite an artform , this skill translating onto the court and beyond .
Now a globally accepted term for an assist .
Also women known as dimes in the states are regarded as a 10/10 .
dropping dimes , smoking dimes , poking dimes , and crappy rhymes

Reply #122228 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

should read drop us a dime not drop us dime .

Reply #122233 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

actually i think this is the real story. back in the older days it used to cost you a dime to make a phone call, people who snitched to the cops where assisting in an arrest. Hence the connection, to "drop a dime" was to "assist" or in bball terms set your team up. I stand corrected if thats wrong but i'm pretty sure its correct.

Reply #122272 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

ITA, haha
Just kidding mate, made that one up.

But could be true though..?

Reply #122611 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

ITA,
Yup.The original term to "spare a dime" dates back to the depression. Add inflation and you've your 50 bucks in the noughties. Greedy little beggars weren't they!

Can't say today's homeless requesters of financial assistance have ever asked me for fifty. Normally ask if i can spare a coupla bucks for a coffee or a train / bus ticket.

Reply #122747 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754