Anonymous
Years ago

Solo Refs?

Umpiring and Reffing is a tough job but doing it alone must be a nightmare. Girl at Mt Barker Friday night did several Div 1 games alone and was calling the paint fouls from backcourt and from Murray Bridge by night's end. While I take my hat off to her for doing the business, one official can't cut it and maybe unless Mt barker can get a regular UIC who can slot in when refs pull out, Mavs should not have home games awarded to them.
It is a regular hapenning and needs to be addressed.

Topic #10604 | Report this topic

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Mavs should not be in district ball fullstop - this is further evidence that they can't cut the mustard.

When are BSA gonna start treating this competition like a business and make the clubs that continually drag the standard down cut the mustard or get out.

Same can be said for Southern, Centrals, Woodville - Lets just get 6 strong clubs and cut all the crap and travelling. The kids that want to play serious ball will go to other clubs and play if these woftam clubs were no longer in the comp.

Reply #122381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been to plenty of other stadiums where there is only 1 ref, or just as bad, where the players are older than the refs, even in U12's.
Basketball was played for years with only 1 ref. What's the big deal.

Every sport seems to be getting more ref's/umpires and officials every year. They are starting to outnumber the players.

Reply #122401 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i think maybe coaches should refuse to play the game stating duty of care as games that are played with one ref are usally alot rougher and more out of control. by forcing games to be replayed will make bsa take their finger out and do something to resolve the problem. there alot of quality refs doing seniors only maybe they should be given games to do or not recieve abl games on the weekend

Reply #122410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hillbilly u cant be serious??? BSA are responsible for placing referees at stadiums to umpire matches. There was only one ref due to the other ref pulling out at the last minute. This was the info all teams received from the referee of those games and I might add that she did a good job in difficult circumstances.

Reply #122445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think the game might have moved on a bit since your glory days and the pace of a game now
demands two umps.
Not bagging her performance #445 but its tough enough for two to get it right let alone one doing several games in a row and definitely not good enough for Div 1 teams.
Umps leave themselves open to criticism when they don't make position and this girl had no chance of doing that and missed a lot and called too much she couldnt possibly have seen. Not her fault but, one ump, happens more than it should at Mt Barker.

Reply #122450 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Not having a go at the ump or umps - just the fact that the club obviously cannot get reserve or spare umps so need the help to do so. Why is it that it does not happen at the more organised clubs.

The young lass in question deserves credit for doing the game by herself.

What do you think JC my man

Reply #122478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you see only one ref do you put your hand up and ask if they need help or do you just criticise everyone else for there not being two...

Reply #122487 | Report this post

SA Great  
Years ago

Imagine travelling from Morphetvale to Gawler, and to be told the game is off because there is only one ref.

That is a very good way to kill the sport.

We do not want to chase people away from our sport.

Reply #122500 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

If you are talking about the "organised clubs" I will assume Sturt would be in that mix

at games friday night at westminster (sturt home game) there was only 1 ref for a few games.

surely you dont think sturt should be out of district basketball?

Maybe coaches (or parents) could help out by calling the bench side sidelines (similar to soccer) so the lone ref could focus on getting from wing to wing and be in better position to call the game

Reply #122519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is an expensive sport to play and if any stadium cant provide 2 umps the visitors should have the right to a forfeit with a 20 points win because with one umpire, the home team never loses.

Reply #122529 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

#10604, did you offer to help her out then?

UIC for Mt Barker is overseas for a couple of weeks. He is usually also reffing 3-4 games on top of that.

It is not the clubs repsonsibility to provide umpires for their stadiums, it is BSA.
The vibe is that referees cant be bothered going out to Mt Barker. It was hard enough finding a UIC in the first place, let alone refs to ref there once a fortnight.
Everytime I go there, the refs are running solos. Apprently it's at least one match per week, but sometimes up to four matches.

Considering it is only 20 minutes from the city, why dont more refs want to go there? (Considering many spend more time in transit driving across the city from home to other stadiums anyway)

Reply #122607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neptune, she was getting enough suggestons without having a person with interest in the outcome offer to help.
If they cant supply two they don't deserve to have games scheduled.

Reply #122617 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

(#122410)One ump is better than none. It would be a brave team that refuses to play because of a "duty of care issue" with a solo ump, given the fees for forfeting a game these days.IMO this duty of care crap gets to pushed to much these days and would be a mis use of terms in this case.

(#10604)
Imagine if you had got to Mt Barker and there were no refs for the match. now that would be a joke.

Reply #122729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why have a rule that says we have two umps. Lets just make it up as we go. Either its a district comp or its not. Of course one ump is better than none but its not in the best interest of fair play and certainly is not what we all pay high fees for.
Isn't that part of the reason we pay such high gate money, for umps? One is a joke that isnt funny when you are playing for points.
Are we all just happy to be second best in everything here in SA?
What happened with all the recruiting of umps? If a stadium can't provide within the rules of the sport they don't deserve to host gsmes and should not expect full payment at the door.

Reply #122761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#122761)Have you read some of the umpire bashing on here latley? That gives an indication as to why it is hard to get new refs.

I agree with you that if that is what the rules state, then that is what should happen. There can be a lot of reasons for an umpire not turning up to a rostered game; however it is near impossible to fill a vacancy at short notice (20 mins before a game)Are you really suggesting that every stadium gets in a few extra refs to sit on their backsides for 4 hours?

You work with what you have and get the job done.

I challenge any club to say they have provided 2 refs for every match for the season just gone by, and would say(really going out on a limb here, not)that no clubs will achieve 2 refs per game for the new winter season.

Reply #122763 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Agreed (#122761)!

(#122617)
I think you'll find all of the other stadiums have problems with refs pulling out at the last minute too. However, who can be bothered driving out to Mt Barker (as opposed to down the road) to ref after being called up half an hour before the game starts.

The refs are contracted and/or organised by BSA. As i said, it's a BSA issue, not the clubs.

Reply #122798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754