Anonymous
Years ago

State Coaches 2007

All quiet on the metro coaches this year, any opinions out there or is everyone content with the same old ,same old? Noticed in one group both coach and assistant coach are from the same club and wondered how that's perceived?

Topic #10646 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

In every age group the coach and an assistant are from the saem club.

Reply #122970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in u/20's.

Reply #122973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well, it was only a matter of time I guess......

Time to start bagging the coaches and whinging how it's all political in 3, 2, 1.......

Reply #122981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What age group are they all from the same club???
U16 Boys: No
U16 Girls : No
U18 Boys: ???
U18 Girls: ???

Reply #122984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the News article announcing the appointments came out in Oct/Nov last year.

Reply #122991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THe positions are not exactly sort after. These positions take a huge amount of time and cost. There is no glory or financial rewards with these roles. Good on the coaches involved for investing time and money to work with the kids.

Reply #122992 | Report this post

Tears of ISIS  
Years ago

Coaches in general will work with other coaches that they know they can rely on. If they've got a good relationship between all three coaches than the kids will benefit.

Reply #122994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO age group has them al from the same club.
But all 16 and 18 teams have 2 out of 3 from the one club.

Reply #122996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The head coach has the right to choose their assistants, however their 1st asst must be from another club. That's the system.

btw - who are all asst's?

Reply #123006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no 1st or 2nd assistants, there are just assistants.

Reply #123007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, i'll word it differently.

The Head Coach can chose their assistant coach, which must be from another club. They may choose more than one assistant, (which doesn't have to be from a different club).

Understand now?

Reply #123009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of pressure on Head Coaches to select ( always issues ), prepare ( Time, planning and organising others ), co ordinate the try out process and make sure it is done right, and then coach the Nationals week.

Being the main guy is far different from the assist. or 2nd assist. and the hot seat is exactly that, HOT !!!! Anyone who has put in time, done the work and gets to coach at a Nationals should be supported by all as they need every bit of support available to bring home the Chocolates.

Reply #123034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same situation as the Country State coaches lol !!

I remember some critism thrown our way about the same old.

Funny how the worm turns quickly. Lets hope you metro do as well as the country folk.

Reply #123044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country coaches are appointed for life or does it just seem that way!

Reply #123128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country appointed 3 new Head Coaches & 2 new Assistant Coaches to their program for 2007, I think you will find the Metro positions remain very similar to previous years.

Reply #123145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't all country coaches are related and play banjos? (TIC)

Reply #123149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#145,
Yes they have appointed as you say but it's a little misleading in that country have just reversed assistants and head coaches or appointed head coaches from 16's last year to 18's this year and done so in several age groups. Same coaches in new roles but new blood doesn't seem welcome. Still a gravy train.

Reply #123162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last years results:

U16 Boys: Metro 4th, Country 13th
U16 Girls: Metro 4th, Country 8th
U18 Boys: Metro 9th, Country 13th
U18 Girls: Metro 3rd, Country 7th.

Perhaps the Metro positions are fairly similar because the results seem to be pretty good (3 semi-finals, and the group that didn't do well has a new coach.

Country results are worse in every grade - particularly disappointing when Country (in most peoples' opinion) had superior talent in 2 of the 4 grades.

Having said that, I think both Metro and Country have some pretty good coaching lineups this year. Matter of fact, out of the 8 State head coaches (Metro/Country), I can only see 1 that is a bit of a suprise to me.

Reply #123174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that yourself?

Reply #123175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of myths regarding coaching in both country and metro.
Some would have you believe the same people are appointed and reappointed because there is a lack of interest in the positions and other suggest that only a few have the skills to do it. I suggest the truth is somewhere in between.
Country regions have multiple teams playing in their town or area. There are many coaches that do the business week in , week out, yet many are in the dark about career paths in basketball and rely on the regional centre manager to provide the info. For a multitude of reasons,and in some areas, this info is not always widely disseminated. Consequently, the club coaches in country areas often remain ignorant of the processes. Often the regional managers are the state coaches, managers etc. IMO it would be advantageous for country areas to widen their base of coaching talent and to actively promote career paths. Country to some extent is doing this by utilising cadet coaches but it still appears a closed shop to a large number of regional club coaches who are often left out of the communication loop.
Metro on the other hand appears to be just as elitist, We are often told that no one wants to give up their time to be a SASI coach yet I would wager,
few coaches outside the big four(who are over represented) would have any idea of the protocols associated with securing a SASI position, Do you? As far as state coaching is concerned unless you have a winning team or record, good luck. This of course becomes catch 22 as few coaches who want to try state would want or could afford to coach in average clubs.
Basketball coaching pathways, both in the country and metro are less than transparent and need to be made clearer if we value success and competition.
Advertising on the respective basketball web sites is probably not good enough.

Reply #123217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

Well what is.

How do you decide about who should get the job?

Are you saying that results should not play a part?

And, if the responsibility of results lands with the Staet Coaching Director, surely they should get the say on who coaches?

Reply #123266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country career pathways
Australian Junior Country Cup, this year 34 coaches attended this tournament representing SA Country
Over the next 12 months with SA Country sending junior representative teams to the Pacific Coast Slam (U/15), & Great Murray River Jamboree (U/12) as well as the National Championship teams over 60+ coaches will have the opportunity to coach at a higher level thus providing a coaching pathway for all regional coaches. How does this compare to the Metropolitan representative coaching pathways?

Reply #123318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country pathway is a closed shop.

Reply #123352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123352) - spot on. It's ridiculous that Country only give opportunties to those who apply for the spots, it should be open to everyone.

Reply #123361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots dont know the positions are open and not much done to put info out there. All reshuffled coaches in country so expect the same results.

Reply #123382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you get into SASI?

I've been coaching district (not div 1), for a few years, but actually don't know.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Reply #123385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly the same way the players do. Do well on Friday nights and ask Neil if you can work the Under 12, 14 and 16 TI camps in the holidays. If you do well there and want to do some of the SASI sessions then you probably could. It's entirely Neil's call, it's his program. Remember that it's an elite program so it's not a a case of "step up, step up, every player win's a prize!", you have to prove yourself.

Reply #123387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so div 2 coaches arn't welcome coz we coach sat morn? how does that help devlop?

Reply #123395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok then do well on Saturday mornings if you like, just do well and prove yourself coaching games and TI camps, just as the players do!

Reply #123396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why have metro and country? Wouldn't just one SA team be better than to half beat teams?

Reply #123398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Becasue two teams, give twice the number of players the opportunity to play at a Nationals.

Often players who might not be in the top 10 at U16 level may get the impetious to develop after seeing the tournament and realising that they aren't that good just becasue the kick ar%e on Friday night. Especially country players that arren't yet playing in the metro competition.

PS, Div 2 coaches also coach on Friday night. Michael Touhey and Scott Butler both coach Div 2 and both coach at SASI

Reply #123401 | Report this post

Genuine Question

How does a coach get involved in ITC and State Country Coaching. I have just moved to the country from metro and would like to get involved somehow.

Reply #123410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk to your coaching director at your club.

Get them to ask Neil Gliddon about coaching at the TI camps in April.

Reply #123411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and if your a country club coach wanting to coach state, good luck!

Reply #123420 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

(#123410) , where have you moved too?
There are ITC programs in South East, Murray Bridge, north (whyalla i think)...

Reply #123427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"so div 2 coaches arn't welcome coz we coach sat morn? how does that help devlop?"

As usual, a whinger who expects everyone else to do their research for them....
actually, I can think of a number of past and present SASI coaches that were coaching div 2 at the time - Scott Butler, Michael Tuohy, Simon Crowden.

I'd ask what are YOU doing to enhance your development?? I'd bet nothing...

Reply #123431 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

a challenge to BSA, if you want the best coaches, encourage the ABA coaches to get involved and during the national champs week give an ABA BYE round so coaches aren't torn between the 2 jobs. I remember a number of instances where players and some coaches are missing for the national tournament. whereas some ABA coaches aren't willing to miss games at the ABA level. I think the Association should be more flexible and get the best coaches in the best situation.

Reply #123439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What this thread illuminates is the lack of info on coaching pathways.
Regional and metro don't shed much light for the masses in case it becomes less exclusive.
Neptune, the people running those programs are the country state coaches and they don't encourage others to join their ranks and information about it is next to impossible to find.
Is it coaches fault they don't know how to become SASI coaches or should clear guidelines and qualifications needed, be out there so everyone interested could participate?
I can think of a dozen or so country coaches who would love to have the opportunity to get involved in ITC etc but will never get the opportunity to do so because regional area heads maintain the status quo.

Reply #123466 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

"Wheres the any key" (#123410)

Country ITC is now called DNSP (Development Network Squad Program)

You can find information on the SA Country website for coaches here

here you will find more info on the program areas.

and here you will find a list of coaches and contacts that may help you. ring the one in your area, I am sure they will help you. all of those links can be found in the "Secondary Menu" on the left of screen.

Reply #123482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754