Spadge
Years ago

What is Your most memorable moment in sport

Mine is the 1996 prelim fianl Port V Norwood when Scott hodges got a free in the worst pocket at footy park and kick a goal to put us through to the GF against Centrals

Followed closely by being at the MCG to see the Power romp the Lions in 2004

Topic #10647 | Report this topic

booga  
Years ago

coaching u18 girls finishing 4th and still making grand final

meeting a liverpool legend ian rush

not lowering myself to have to coach against magic haha (couldn't resist)

being 15 playing A grade for the soccer club i was at(was at that time the youngest player to make A grade for the club)

Reply #122965 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Easy - When the Socceroos beat Uruagay in Sydney in the penalty shoot out in November 2005 - the most nervous and exhilarated I have ever been in my entire life.

Only time I have ever cried after a sporting match.

Reply #122972 | Report this post

stevey  
Years ago

when steven bradbury won the gold medal at the winter olympics by the entire field falling infront of him

Reply #122988 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

(#122988)

yeah that was piss funny

and i loved the advert they had with him too

Reply #123001 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Memorable moments...

Kieren Perkins win at the 96 Olympics, was so pumped after that morning I kicked 8 goals later that day in football.

Essendon V Collingwood ANZAC Day 1995. The famous draw that started my favourite tradtion in sport. I was lucky enough to be there and have only missed a few since. (Off topic - Rapt that I got flights to melbourne for this years at $35 each way!!!)

The womens water polo gold medal game at the Sydney Olympics. I was was quite drunk with a whole heap of other drunk people at a BBQ cheering on a sport we new next to nothing about. Them winning with less than a second on the clock was fantasic. Some much hugging to place!!

Reply #123002 | Report this post

NINO  
Years ago

6ers Championships since Maher has captained them..and meeting Michael Jordan.

Reply #123003 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

(#123002)

$35 thats pretty cheap r u sure ur not being shoved in the luggage compartment :)

Reply #123004 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Quite a few,

- Gillian Rolton getting back on her horse at Sydney Olympics with Broken Ribs & Collarbone and then finishing the Cross-Country Jump Course (I have Broken my Collar Bone & could hardly walk).

- Getting up at 4am to hear that Sydeny got the 2000 Olympics.

- 1997 Crows Premiership, being at the MCG & trying to find a Victorian in Collins & Bourke Street after 6pm that night, to tell them all about the win!

- Memorable but not good, watching live (not something I normally watch though) when Ayrton Senna was killed.

Reply #123011 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

Mid 80's when Russell Ebert was coaching the Magpies. They came up against league leaders North at Alberton Oval. At half time the Magpies were approx. 52 pts down. At the end of the game the maggies had got up and won by 13 pts. We didn't do much more that year, but it has never left me.

(Mod: Fixed up your spelling/grammar. What can I say, I'm an English Teacher!)

Reply #123012 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

The very best was the last championship the sixers won at the Dome. I was setting up a stage on the court straight after the match for presentations as the 6ers players were celerbrating, then ran back into the rooms to help bring other stuff out. I see this girl struggling with this big banner on a pole and offered to take it out on court for her. It wasnt untill I walked onto the court that I realised that it was the championship banner. 8000 people just went wild when they saw it....I know how it made me feel; I can only imagine how it made the players feel to be the reason that banner was staying in Adelaide.

Reply #123015 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

For me - being at the Opening Ceremony for the Commonwealth Games

Sweeping the Magic (not that one booga!)at Rod Laver Arena (and seeing the Davis Cup room renamed the Mark Davis room)

The women winning Gold at the Commonwealth Games

The men winning Gold at the Commonwealth Games

The 2 other championships since 97.

Reply #123020 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Axeman - That gave me goosebumps reading your recollection of the moment.

Getting the call up to play my first ABA game against West Adelaide at the Port and then scoring my first points, and then that week scoring 40 point in an under 18 div 1 game.

The Socceroos penalty victory against Uruguay to put them into the World Cup finals and then Tim Cahill's opening goal against Japan.

Going to the Magic Johnson vs. the Aussie Boomers at the Dome and then meeting Mark Aguirre

Reply #123027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so many. I loved the gillian Rolton moment, cathy freeman winning gold at sydney, Keiren Perkins' race, Michale Bevan hitting the winning runs against WI a few years ago, Leo Barry's mark in the final seconds of the 2005 gf.

Reply #123028 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

March 19th 1995
Michael Jordans comeback to Basketball
Maybe not a great performance but one of the most memorable moments in sport

Reply #123038 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

theres some great stuff keep em coming

axeman that was well told

Reply #123040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching my daughter play basketball for S.A.

Sinking a basket in the dying seconds to win a game against Vic.

Head exploding stuff !!

Reply #123045 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

AFL Finals (one to get into Prelim. so semi or qualifying) 2001

Port Vs Hawthorn at AAMI Stadium (maybe Footy Park back then). The same week of Trade Centre Plane Attacks.I go for the mighty Hawks so Port supporters look away now.

John Barker, we learn after the game has had migraines right throughout the game, kicks an absolute ripper of a goal from the 'Impossible' pocket of AAmi Stadium about five minutes from the end to put the Hawks up by less then a goal.

Fabian Francis, who has been told repeatedly to come off by Mark Williams but refuses, then manages to get the ball with no one on him at the 50 out from Port's goal with not a person in the arc. He runs to about 45metres out and blazes away and hits the bottom of the post.
Hawthorn win.
Yay.

Then, see my mate walking across the carpark after the game, head down, and I absolutely gave it to him.

To this day we still talk about it.

Brilliance

(The Barker/Francis thing may have even been the other way around in terms of timing. If anyone knows feel free to remind me of the best moment in AFL history.)

Reply #123046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing R U for Australia against NZ at the SCG in front of 50,000+ spectators.

Sydney Olympics Opening ceremony and Freemans Gold Medal race.

Perkins' & Thorpe's swims winning Gold and World Records.

Opals World Championship

Reply #123072 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

(#123046)

i remember that game mostly because flash was my fav plyer at the time but u forgot to add that port had a last chance kick and stewy dew was one on one in the goal square and the hawks player ( cant remember who) was covering him like a rash ( very close to a free but being a final...) and manage to punch the ball away and just as dew was chasing it down the siren rang

this the resulted in me punching the old bech seats and breaking my hand i remember it well

thank eddie for the great memory :)

Reply #123101 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

(#123072)

u acctually played???

Reply #123102 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Mine are all football (soccer) lol.

Watching Ronaldinho and Messi in tandem, live at the Nou Camp.

Greatest TV moment was Cahill's second goal against Japan at the 2006 WC.

Greatest live moment in Australia was seeing Damian Mori score a goal straight from the kickoff many moons ago.

Reply #123105 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Basketball - Sinking winning FTs in GF of U/17s when I was an U/15 player and we beat an undefeated team in the GF by four, then winning the U/15 GF the next day.

Watching Game 2, 96 finals Bulls and Seattle. Kukoc knocking down that three and Pip nailing the breakaway dunk....sends shivers up my spine.

Football - 2004 GF when wanganeen kicked the last goal of the 3rd and the first goal of the 4th, what a match winner and also a great game.

Also Bruce when commentating the 97 when Bond nailed that goal - "THAT WILL DO.....THAT WILL DO!!" Oah Bruce thank god your back!!!

Reply #123110 | Report this post

kriss  
Years ago

When Thorpie, Klimmy, and 2 other lads beat the mens 4 X 100m relay team for the first time. Michael Klim playing the air guitar after winning after USA saying they will smash the aussies like guitars!!

Goosebumps every time I watch it

Reply #123125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Adelaide united score magic goals, unfortunately most of them were 'own goal'.

Reply #123129 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Magic Johnson's All-Star MVP performance and him telling the story....

Such a classic, so poignant, so memorable, such a legend.

Reply #123163 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Watching Grant Hackett win 1500 Olympic Gold Medal with a collapsed lung. Thats toughness.

Reply #123241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Mccartney's comeback/ last game after the bali bombings where he kicks a goal and at the end of the game is carried off by his team..

Reply #123292 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Aloisi's penalty versus U-r-gay. Every time i watch it my spine tingles and i go cold.

Liverpool coming from 0-3 down to win the European Champions League in 2005.

That penalty given against Italy at the World Cup. I just stared at the TV screen bewildered, then yelled obsenities at the ref. (Accidently woke up my housemate!)

Tony Modra doing his knee in the prelim final in '97.

Australia vs South Africa ODI last year. Australia 5/434 of 50 overs. SAF made 5/438 with a couple of balls to spare.

Reply #123297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes spadge i did

Reply #123313 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

essendon beating the crows in 93 prelim after trailing by 42pts at 1/2 time......GOLD

Reply #123525 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

neptuneboy the liverpool games was easily the best game in the clubs history. i remember being in the car park at work listening to the penalty shoot out on sen and going nuts when we won, unfortunatly i was late starting work but so happy i didn't care.

Reply #123552 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

That Liverpool champs league was gold, was in the UK at the time, watched the first half and lost interest, almost went and did something else for the rest but decided to stick it out, amazing win. FA Cup final the next year v West Ham was also insane, Steven Gerrard's goal to tie it up with only a handful of minutes remaining was out of this world.

Pretty chuffed with drawing PSV for the next round of Champs League this year, will be sweet knocking off Chelsea in the semis!!

Reply #123555 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hey Fess,with some of your comments it has become obvious to me you must be Victorian and I guess you hate Dr Timms.

Reply #123649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spadges first dribble!

Reply #123719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

into his nappy or on the basketball court??

Reply #123731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754