123abc
Years ago

Smyth on Schenscher mission-Advertiser

Yet another thread about Luke...
-----------------------------------

LUKE Schenscher's signature on the bottom of a 36ers' contract is a priority for Adelaide's NBL coach Phil Smyth on his U.S. trip.

Smyth and assistant coach Steve Breheny left today on an 11-day mission to shore up their coaching skills, check out potential imports and lure Schenscher, 26 and 216cm, into a Sixers singlet.
Since a brief NBA stint with the Chicago Bulls this time last year, Schenscher has been back in the Development League with Fort Worth where he is averaging 9.6 points and 6.9 rebounds.

Calling the D-League a "development" league is something of a misnomer, most players trying to push their own game to be spotted and promoted to the NBA.

Adelaide is hoping the Southern Tigers junior who helped Georgia Tech into an NCAA final is ready for some genuine development in their NBL program.

While Europe appears a better financial option, playing as an import on the Continent requires big and consistent numbers, the axe always poised.

Smyth, who promoted Schenscher into his Boomers team in 2001, believes a stint with the 36ers, in his home environment and with home support, would fast-track the big man's dream of cracking the NBA. Andrew Gaze, Mark Bradtke, Chris Anstey and Shane Heal have been at the forefront of Aussies who broke into the NBA via the NBL.

Schenscher already has a decided advantage over that crew by being more than seven feet tall and having a U.S. profile from his college and pro appearances.

"We'll spend some time with Luke and watch three of his games," Smyth said.

"We'll also watch him practice."

The 36ers pair will also attend several LA Lakers and LA Clippers NBA games and those clubs' practice sessions.

"We're going to watch how they prepare for a game night and how they practice after a match," Smyth said.

"We'll be seeing their fitness and medical people as well."

-More at Adelaide Now

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21377757-5006371,00.html

Topic #10719 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Please don't paste in so much of an article - just provide some key quotes and then the link to the source in the future. Thanks.

Reply #124073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance of getting Schenscher as long as his arse points to the ground

Reply #124095 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Purely a marketing tool. Hard to complain of poor recruiting if the 6ers are 'appearing' to chase quality players. I hope he doesn't come to Adelaide, as he should be aiming at a NBA gig. NBL isn't taken that seriously over in the US.

Reply #124102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timing is terrible. Why go to the US to learn how to coach and chase a player who has no intention to play in the NBL when the free agent period has just started?

Why sign Brad Davidson when Ryan Kersten is looking to return? They should be visiting Ryan. Same crap, different season.

Reply #124113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a marketing tool.. they don't want Schenscher coz he's not old enough!

Reply #124115 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They'll get a chance to see Kersten in the ABL. The risk is that he gets snapped up by another team before they make a decision I guess.

Reply #124126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

See new thread on this forum re Schenscher signing with Portland for a ten-day contract - Phil and Steve may have to alter their plans?

Reply #124133 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

Fairytale Phil at it again. The schenscher thing is all hype to help justify this "going and learning how to coach" trip.
I agree about the Kerstan situation. why would you sign Davidson and Sutton already. Sign one if your not sure about Kerstan watch his first game for North and then sign the kid, cos right now they will be disappointed they acted so quickly. Kerstan wont stay around for a development spot, he could prob start in the league for some teams...it blows the mind how our coaches operate. this will be the third kid they didnt rate that will come back and bite them on the ass.

Reply #124139 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

ahhhh the good old i could do better......

i think you will find that Schenscher wants to come back to Adelaide. I wouldn't start banging on about losing him as yet. He is only on a 10 day contract......

Reply #124152 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

which leads to season signing and then he will want to try and get other 10 day contracts to try and build his way up.

Reply #124171 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good luck to Luke in the NBA, but i would love to see him as a 36er!!
Yea the Kirsten one is a interesting one, as if he turns out to be another Ingles or Newley and we dont get him that will be disasterous, could you have Maher, Kirsten, Sutton, Davidson on the same roster??
If Kirsten is upto or close to the Ingles/Newley standard maybe him and Davidson could share the point, Maher at the SG, and Sutton play minutes in both spots as he has the size to guard most SG's, and if we did get Newley he could be in the guard rotation.
Maybe something like this
PG Davidson/Kirsten/Sutton
SG Maher/Newley/Sutton
SF Newley/ back up SF (Majstro??)
PF Ballinger/ Back up PF ??
C Schenscer/Cooper
I think that team would work aslong as Kirsten is as good as a Ingles or somewhere near it and can play good minutes straight away and if we miss out on either Newley or Schenscher use the 2nd import spot.

Reply #124174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil, contrary to the facts is in talks with a returning collage player about playing with the 36ers for the up coming season however I think the 'age' joke are now getting old. Last seasons team was put together with little money and only one year contracts. Who, in their right mind (young player) would sign a one year deal and not know if the team would be around the next season, apart from an older player who only just wants a chance to keep playing?

Reply #124187 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Yeah, there really is no need to keep playing up the age jokes, especially when there was a better one in the "genuine development in their NBL program" line.

Reply #124189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team last year was NOT, I repeat NOT put together for on a small budget. Why do people keep assuming this?

Reply #124210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compared to the 5+ teams over the cap it was.

Reply #124215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dreams, Dreams, Dreams....
Schenser lol, no way

hell Phil resigned! Ahh reality, damn I just woke up

smokescreen one is underway, stay tuned for more mirrors and incantations

Reply #124234 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Kersten is definitely a 1 man, not a Newley or a Ingles 6'8 swingman prototype. AFAIK he's still only a sophomore, two years to go at New Mexico.

Reply #124241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ready to come home is my mail.

Reply #124253 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If last years team only got 1 year contracts, how did Nash get two?

Reply #124271 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Cos Nash is a superstar, that's why! Luke would not get any court time however if we were to sign him, that is in keeping with Phil's development of younger players.

Reply #124273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Becasue Nash, back before the start of the season, was the only player willing to sign a two year deal. Really what other NBL club would nash go too? nobody would want him.

Reply #124275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They signed Nash to a 2 year deal because opposition teams fear when Nash has the ball.. he is big scoring threat, is great in dishing out assists and taking rebounds

Reply #124354 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Oh yes, he is the full package, that's for sure. For the life of me I cannot work out why we could not make the finals last season with Nash in the side.

Reply #124436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754