Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ers sign Ballinger, retain Cooper

News from the 36ers today confirming two long-rumoured signings: Adam Ballinger and David Cooper.

Full article

The Adelaide Pura Milk 36ers can confirm they have signed 205cm American import, Adam Ballinger, from the Wollongong Hawks and retained big man, David Cooper, for the 2007/08 season.
As noted in the article, Ballinger ranked in the NBL's top ten for points, FT%, ORB, DRB, rebounds, FG%, 3P% and blocks - nice output.

Meanwhile, Cooper, who ranked second in the league in blocks, posted career highs in the three primary categories and secured a two year deal.

Topic #10966 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

Good, positive move by the Club!

Reply #127107 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From the article...

"They still have another American import spot to fill which will depend largely on what they can secure from the Australian market."

Why does he have to be American???

Reply #127109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does that really matter?

Reply #127111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news. Coops deserves the spot and will do a great job as a backup 5.

Reply #127117 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"They still have another American import spot to fill which will depend largely on what they can secure from the Australian market."

I seriously hope that it's not Tucker

Reply #127131 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

Good signings i still dont know if Ballinger is the answer though, for me he is a poor mans Dusty Rychart.
From whispers i hear, not a lot of Australian talent wants to play in Adelaide, and options are running out.
I fear it might end up like last year where our roster is filled up with guys that cant get games else where, ala Copeland, Mastro etc.

Reply #127138 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I will take my bow now.

Thank you....Thank you very much.

Reply #127142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utopia.....how can you say no Aussie talent wants to play in Adelaide when Kersten was close to signing and negotiations are still being had with Newley and Schenscher.....if none of these guys wanted to play in Adelaide why are they negotiating??

Reply #127146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because they are being offered lots of money??

Reply #127147 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Utopia, I wouldn't describe Ballinger as a "poor man's Dusty".

Ballinger is very sound fundamentally, has range to the 3 point line and plays reasonably tough interior D.

Comparing players to Dusty is always difficult due to his unconventional game, but I would personally consider Ballinger a superior player to Dusty.

*Ducks in anticipation of EC throwing something at me*

To add to that, I think Ballinger's inside/outside game will fit nicely into our system. In comparison to Horvath, I'd say he's a slightly less effective low block scorer, more of a 3/4 than a 4/5 but vastly superior defender & more consistent player.

So, IMO, I think he's a very solid signing. A proven performer who knows the league & will be an instant contributor.

Reply #127150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every player chases money......why do you think Dusty, Holmes, Forman left, Brett Maher even stated that if the contract offered by the team on the eastern sea board wasnt matched by the Sixers he would have left.....it all comes down to money!

Reply #127151 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ballinger to me is Dusty with 3 point range. Very solid player. Pleased with this signing. Good job Sixers, good job DICKO

Reply #127160 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The other thing is he has a good 3" on Dusty, too.

Reply #127161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Horvarth?

Reply #127162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

According to reports, the 36ers seemed to lose some interest in him.

He has recovered from an injury and suited in the NZ NBL on the weekend just been which is good to hear - maybe even a bit ahead of schedule?

Reply #127163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put simply, Ballinger is better than Dusty

Reply #127164 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

This is a good signing and suits the Sixers game very well, but really leaves us needing a strong Aussie centre. Cooper is a decent back-up centre, but I'd prefer to start Schenscher, Pepper or Melmeth ahead of him.

DICKO, I hope you're right on Newley also signing, despite the likely NBA/Euro outclauses.

Reply #127165 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would you sign both Ballinger and Horvarth?? Different style of play, we have enough guards already one would think...Those 2, plus Newley or another slashing 3 man..

Reply #127166 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hang on.....I didn't say Nelwey was signing. I just said that they were close to getting his signature with significant out clauses.

It's not done, to my knowledge and, even if it was the out clauses could mean he never plays a game for Adelaide.

Reply #127167 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

If we were to secure Newley, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to try to pair Ballinger & Horvath (salary & points cap notwithstanding)..

I think Ballinger is capable enough on the perimeter that a strictly inside player could work fine alongside him.

If Newley isn't an option, I'd be looking at obtaining an import shooting guard/small forward myself.

Reply #127169 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Congratulations Dicko!! Also in relation to Ballinger good signing however his defence isnt the best, but overall a good signing!

Reply #127172 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Depends on who we sign for centre. Melmeth would be great, Pepper would be too hard to get. Sixers should definatley consider that rather than signing a crap SF like Majstrovich or even keeping Nash (please no!)

Reply #127179 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Really pleased with the signing of Ballinger, he's a brilliant player. Not sure how I feel about re-signing Coops, love his D but doesn't have much of an offensive game. I think our import spot would be better spent on a decent SF rather than Horvath.

Reply #127186 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

melmeth is off to the blaze by all reports

Reply #127189 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

If they sign a starting C then who would start as SF? Backup PF?

Reply #127218 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

How long till Dusty is naturalised? Has he only just started the process?

Reply #127223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoop Addict, I'm surprised you didn't think I had another alias by the name of Utopia. Goes to show there are many who value Dusty's talent. I'm not going to make comparisons with Ballinger because to be quite honest, I haven't paid enough attention to Ballinger to do that. Just like all 36ers fans, I want to see
them become successful in 07/08 so what ever recruitment is done now, will go towards building a successful team.

Reply #127237 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sorry last post was from EC. Got a new computer installed this weekend and forgot to enter my details.

Reply #127239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are these people that think Ballinger can play D. Defence is what goes around da house according to good old Adam. He suits Smyths system cos he can shoot outside, thats it.

Reply #127258 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Good signing,Ballinger is streets ahead of Horvath in all areas.

Reply #127279 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

if the sixers could put together i team like this i would be happy>>

Starters Bench
C Big luke 10 C Cooper 7
PF Ballinger 10 PF Rush 7
SF Newley 10 SF Ng 5
SG Maher 5 SG Sutton 1
PG import 10 PG Davison 6

that equals 71 points and i would think that that team could compete with teams like melbourne and brisbane. i only put Ng at the 3 because he can shoot and i would rather use Sutton as a gaurd. This can be done to the NBL rules its just a matter of how much Mal wants to spend on the cap.

its probably a long shot but something like this would be in the right direction

Reply #127364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754