Isaac
Years ago

36ers interested in Neil Mottram

Boti Nagy has got word that the 36ers are showing interest in former Perth Wildcat and Melbourne Tiger Neil Mottram.

Full article

Mottram, however, appears to be planning on staying in Italy where he is playing alongside Willie Farley.

He's also fired a little shot at the 36ers website for issuing corrections over his article that Nick Horvath and Mark Nash have been released and that Adam Ballinger has a two year deal.

WONDER who will be wearing egg when Mark Nash is not back with the 36ers and Nick Horvath is playing elsewhere, The Advertiser or the Sixers' website?
Perhaps it's in the wording? Boti wrote that "the club has also released ... Mark Nash" - when perhaps "will release" is more appropriate? If the club are negotiating terms, then Nashy is yet to be released, right?

Topic #11011 | Report this topic

Sween  
Years ago

Wonder who will be surprised when little hints suggest those who claim to ignore this site are actually reading it?

The site's contibutors have regularly called on Boti to be accurate. This call should be taken as a challenge rather than a smite.
He can improve the quality of his work.

The 'Tizers apology on behalf on it's employee a couple of week's back, may be an indication that the employer is also looking for an improvement.

Reply #127668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'll have to be clearer - who are you saying claims to ignore this site? Both the club and Boti Nagy read the forum and don't suggest otherwise.

I don't think all of this is a massive issue anyway - obviously Boti writes about what he knows and is confident of reporting while the club have to hold an official position. e.g., Boti might report that the club are talking to Player X even though the club can't confirm or announce that.

He has his reasons for reporting something and the club have theirs for holding their position.

Reply #127669 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

why would we go after Mottram, another Coop type player for mine.

Reply #127678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another Brett Wheeler-type, I think. If it's to back-up at PF, I'd take Kane Oakley - would surely come cheaper, doesn't have a history of injury that I'm aware of and has range (usually).

Reply #127680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think youre on the money there Isaac......Oakley would be the better pick up, more athletic too!!

Reply #127686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more athletic than motts?!? You've got to be kidding!

Reply #127689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are peoples thoughts on Mottram becoming a Sixer??

Reply #127692 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

To be clearer, there has previously been claims that neither Boti nor personnel from the 36'ers visit the site. You have just put this to rest!

Please don't be narrow in your interpretation of my post. I refer to Boti's public output in the broad sense across many issues.

As a player recently considered to be good enough to play for the Boomers, surely Mottram would have the skills to make a valuable contibution to any NBL side?

Sorry, I an unfamiliar with Mottrams injury record can you help - thought he did ok for minutes and played games for the Tigers? He's definitely athletic.

Reply #127694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mottram was massive in melbounes gf game 3 win in sydney, would sign him in a heart beat

Reply #127695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mottram would be a great pick up.

Boti has lost even more credability with his snipe at the sixers website today. The 36ers website can display rumours, innuendo, etc and not be held as accountable as the facts that supposed to appear in the paper from good reporting. It looks childish for him to whinge in the paper about his factual f%&k up.

Reply #127699 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I dont think its a good idea. Too injury prone.
Go with an Oakley any day.

Reply #127700 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

If Mottram comes to Adelaide, will Jenny Screen come back too??

Reply #127701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are restrictions on what the club can say. There is not innuendo on the 36ers site - hoops.com.au is the place for rumours, etc.

The claims in the past haven't been that Boti and the clubs don't read this site (they often do), but that they don't post on it (save for a rare post by Potsie or someone else in the past).

Mottram has played six seasons in the NBL. In 2001/02, he missed a third of the season. In 2003/04, he played just 5 games (9 MPG) for 1.6 PPG. In 2004/05, he played 17 games (11 MPG) for 2.5 PPG.

Has had a problem or problems with a knee that had surgery and missed the World Champs at one point with a back injury.

May have had an injury at AIS, but can't recall. I remember that John Philip was out for ages and that Jacob Holmes had a foot injury, but not 100% on Mottram.

Reply #127710 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

motts would be a solid known quantity, and would not be disapointed if he was signed as some security

Reply #127717 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I remember playing against Motts when he was running around for Eastern for a little while, just before he went to the Boomers camp, and my, as well as everyone elses that played against him, was that he was MASSIVELY overrated. He didn't even dominate state league div 1. I think we could do better

Reply #127719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he is one of those people that transfer their abilities well to the NBL but doesn't dominate a lower league - e.g., Sutton, etc.

For Eastern, he was always a double double from memory?

Reply #127723 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Is Mottram being looked at as the starting C as a back up plan for Schenscher??? if so i dont mind the idea, he isnt a superstar but i think he would be a solid starter like a Brett Wheeler was throughout most of his career, i also wouldnt mind getting Kane Oakley to back up the PF spot, if we could get Schenscher, Mottram and Oakley to go with Ballinger that would give us some good size!!

Reply #127724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motts wont be coming to Adelaide next Season!! He will be staying in Italy!!

Reply #127728 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Thanks for the stats. Agree that a player who is unable to string a number of games on end poses difficulties for a team.

Figures suggest that he is mostly % x fully fit and therefore performance highly variable from game to game.

Reply #127729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's why I compared him with Brett Wheeler - useful in the front court, can start if needed, not fancy, but needs to be healthy and you'd prefer to have him in a back-up role.

But if he's staying in Italy, none of that really matters.

I'd be interested to know if they're looking at Simon Conn or have reasons not to - throw him in to back-up Ballinger.

Reply #127731 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

Mottram would give them some good depth in the frontcourt, wether a starter or from the bench. Either way, its a good pick up. Alongside Ballinger would be a good pairing, all now is just to add someone athletic to the mix, maybe a Tucker or wethers and they look ok. Still Schenscher on the radar as well. Already looking much better then recruiting timmons, copeland and wheeler last season!

Reply #127735 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Schenscher, Motteram, Ballinger is a nice looking frontcourt.

Cooper, Oakley, Mastrovich as back-ups?

Reply #127762 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

dont know to much about oakley is he worth a crack ?

also dench seems to be on the outer at the tigers at present would have be worth pursuing

still think motts is worth a serious crack was allways a honest performer for the tigers

Reply #127913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like the Sixers are chasing a bunch of big names they have little or no chance of snagging to make it look like big things are happening. It feels more and more like Episodes I, II and III of Star Wars. Looks great but has no substance.

Reply #127943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Phil Count Duku or Master Yoda?

Reply #127950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil is Jar Jar.

Reply #127962 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

cant help but pmsl at those laugh 2 post all three ball worthy for lol value

Reply #127975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail is he is staying in Italy.

Reply #130862 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754