Orlando Smith
Years ago

Centrals Women... Where to next?

I was reading a post earlier about girls basketball [Under 18 Div 1 Girls-what next (#11022)] and a number of people suggested the Centrals Women as an option for these girls that aren't able to make their own clubs ABA program due to numbers and I got to thinking what could be done to make Centrals more appealing to these players.

Centrals women need to come back to the competition (and not only to maintain the men's program) and I would like to know opinions or suggestions on what the CDBC could do to rebuild the program.

Please try to avoid the typical Centrals Bashing that comes from a thread like this. I am willing to put aside my hatred of the club for the betterment of the competition I would ask that you do the same.

What would you reccommend to the Centrals committee to rebuild the women's program.

My suggestions:

1) Advertise that most women's trainings are not in the Gawler area in fact most of the trainings are at the Mawson Lakes area.
2) consider moving SENIOR home games a venue other than STARplex, somewhere closer. (sharing a venue is an option as Norwood and Woodville did it 2 years ago)
3) Ricky Simpson to take the womens program for first 3 years

If you have other suggestions lets put them out there for the good of the competition

Topic #11045 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

any schools in that area have players that aren't locked into district clubs?

Reply #128172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

128172, Starplex is owned by a school (well 4 schools combined actually) with over 3500 students. You could say that school is locked into Centrals.

Centrals President and ABA Men's coach both work for Starplex IE the school.

Reply #128204 | Report this post

smalltown  
Years ago

128204 - Only had this conversation a few weeks ago with someone - Starplex is owned by one school Trinity College which has spread its students over 4 campuses. The students are locked into playing for their school in the independent schools comp which has at times caused some unrest amongst the families who want to play districts.

Reply #128218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smalltown this is not correct. Pretty much all the older kids that play school basketball play at Centrals. Trinity is one of the few private schools that let their kids play in the district comp where there is a clash.

The problem is attracting kids in younger age groups. Try explaining to group of parents at U10 trials that they play at Hillcrest, Mars, Pt Adelaide, Pasadena (some start looking for a way out of there), marion (they start to leave), Morphett Vale alot start looking for the nearest exit and Footy club.

Reply #128232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely the answer to that is a Northern equivalent of City South? Is there already something running.

Given the distances and costs, wouldn't it be perfect for that scenario?

Reply #128234 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

anon or should i say ricky, this excuse has been used year after year there at that level. why is it all other clubs can fiil the u10 program and u guys cant fill one team?
i feel it's not the parents at all because there a lot of parents who have kids playing older age groups that are use to the running around who would have the kids playing under 10's, but the club(ricky) does nothing to keep them there after trials

Reply #128237 | Report this post

smalltown  
Years ago

128232 - thanks for the correction - as I said, only going on what I was told a few weeks ago and from a school family. I will deny them all access to alcohol next time we meet until the truth is revealed.

Reply #128240 | Report this post

Booga  
Years ago

Reply #128243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

128232: Booga, Im not Ricky. You may be right. Doesn't mean that my point is wrong either though.

Reply #128245 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

new committee and new coaching director might be a start.
out with the old and in with the new!
a complete revamp of the club is needed.
somehow make it a club that players are proud to be associated with.
seems obvious to most, that players tend to go to central when they aren't needed at the other clubs for one reason or another and not necessarily that they aren't a strong enough player.
central women have had a lot of talented players over the years, yet the club can't seem to hold on to them, why is that? maybe because the emphasis has always been the Men's team.
the women definately need a coach,who is strong enough to bring or draw players to the club.

Reply #128261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would another weak ABL team in women really help? How long is it since a Woodville womens team won a game against a top 5 team?How many games a year do they win? Is making up the numbers helping basketball or is it viewed as a practice for the contenders?

Reply #128266 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Glen you obviously weren't stong enough to get them there or attractr any players of note

Reply #128317 | Report this post

glen  
Years ago

glen who????

Reply #128344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How 'bout the Lightning actually do something to help struggling teams by equally distributing players?? It's hideous that these players go to the top 4 or so teams. How can a battling club like Centrals or Woodville be expected to improve when other clubs keep bringing in WNBL-standard players on top of what they already have. Fair enough if these players started as a junior at the club, but look at some of the players that teams such as Forestville, West and North have snagged over recent years.

Reply #128378 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What if none of the Lightning/Fellas/Smiths Crisps girls want to play for Centrals/Woodville?

Reply #128389 | Report this post

smalltown  
Years ago

Spreading the talent evenly across the comp has to be worth some consideration surely? Wouldn't it encourage more younger players to come through and the better your teammates, the better you get developed too? Concede though it is tough to say you go here, you go there..

Maybe Centrals should change their name? Statewide, the name doesn't inspire you to want to play there and it is maybe a little unfair as new players /personnel would be arriving each year but they seem to be branded before they start.

Reply #128451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smalltown the name would not make a difference. Centrals football club struggled inthe 80s and early 90s. For about the past decade it has been the standout, dominant SANFL club. A name of a club means nothing.

Reply #128462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon guys, a comp that evens out the talent might be competitive.

Reply #128567 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

With distrubuting players evenly (WNBL / NBL) Power and Crows do the same with their plaayers at SANFL clubs, and it seems to work.

Reply #128608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the better your teammates, the better you get developed too?

Smalltown, you've answered your own question here. Why would a fringe or WNBL player go to Centrals - train under a poor coach (by comparison) and against lower standard team-mates? They want to improve their game the most, then they'll go to the clubs that provide that service. And that is not at Centrals.

Reply #128861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are you going to enforce that? The Association don't own the NBL or NBL teams. So they can tell there players to play or not play where ever they like. Unless the coaches of the national league teams want the local comp to be even its not going to happen I would think.

Reply #128876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754