Philip Mountbatten
Years ago

Basketball Adelaide

What's everyone's thoughts on this development outlined in the Strategic plan.

Personally, i think it's great (conceptually), but would love to see more details about how it's going to be set-up, esp management. And about how it's going to acheive it's goals.

In fact, i think it was really just glossed over in the plan. Anyone got any more info on it?

Topic #11077 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ye lets get a keg

Reply #128772 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

We couldn't find ur ID Phil.
Cheers

Reply #128787 | Report this post

That was the worst attempted shut-down on here since brad the asnwer was floating around.

Basketball Adelaide (if you'd bothered to read the plan) is meant to be a group comprised of district club members working towards gaining ownership over the stadium's.

Now take your whistle and crawl back to your dark hole.

Reply #128814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

District club members have problems working with each other. Also I feel a need to cut back on the number of district team to enhance the amount of players at each club. The A-League for example cut the amount of teams down to one state; we need to cut the amount of district teams down too.

Sturt
South
Forestville
North
West
Norwood
Southern
And another north eastern based club would be suitable.

All the areas of the Adelaide metropolitan area are catered for, with areas such as Gawler and Mt Barker providing a lesser 'feeder' type base for players who aren't able to travel further to other clubs.

I know eastern, centrals, and Woodville haven't been mentioned but do they seriously have the numbers to be considered 'main' clubs anymore? We need fewer teams filled with more players that will provide a better type of competition.

Reply #128823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gawler and Mt Barker providing a lesser 'feeder' type base for players who aren't able to travel further to other clubs. " What are you proposing here? Have you thought through your comments? Did you read the objectives of the plan?

It seems to me that the plan is about elite pathways for all and increasing participation.

Do your research and you will find that the fastest growing areas in SA are Mt Barker and Elizabeth regions. There is a complex of 25,000 homes planned for waterloo corner / burton area over the next 3 - 4 yrs. There is currently a major football culture in these suburbs.

If basketball Adelaide and SA is planning strategically and looking for the next 5 yrs and beyond it should be targetting these areas. Huge untapped talent pool that goes to football currently and population growth like we have not seen in the past 12 - 15 yrs or maybe longer.

The population distribution is now such that a single District competition, for all divisions, spanning across the entire Adelaide is no longer the ideal. Maybe for Div 1 and older age groups but not for the younger ones and low divs.

Reply #128852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good ideas floated but wouldnt you rationalize areas before clubs? There are too many clubs in the same areas and that causes problems. Do we need sturt, souths amd southern in the southern area?
Woodville and wests would be a great merger. But dont hold your breath.
What is forestvilles recruiting area? Areas need to be zoned or no strategic plan can work.

Reply #128878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theoretically where most of the teams are now are fine.

West- Caters for areas north-west of the city

North- Caters for Northern parts of the city

South- Caters for the area between Sturt (inner south) and southern (deep south)

Southern- deep south

Sturt inner southern suburbs and south-eastern suburbs

Forestville- Western suburbs and some inner south-western suburbs

Woodville- Competing with West and North for numbers

Norwood- Eastern Suburbs and North Eastern Suburbs

Centrals- Far North Suburbs

Eastern- South- Eastern Hills areas

Really more of an effort should be stopped in allowing other clubs (non div one clubs) from entering the comp as this dilutes the level of skill and numbers from some clubs.

Reply #128884 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

i'd like to see a team from Victor/Goolwa/Pt Elliot/Middleton in the comp...as it expands it that little bit further - as does Centrals at bloody Gawler.

Reply #128909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way you worded it is interesting. I think too many teams south is fairly well established. Scrap souths.
Forestville doesnt have an active feeder area given its location of inner city.

Reply #128912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smitty your just upset because of all the Safari Cups Centrals keeps winning. Gawler is considered Metropolitan Adelaide. Victor Harbour is not.

Reply #128914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gawler is only just considered part of Metropolitan Adelaide.

South, Forestville and Sturt generate the largest amount of revenue, so the three clubs have proved that financially three clubs in close proximity can co-exist.

Reply #128922 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

how about people get off their arses and promote the sport like footy, cricket and rugby league do gettin out to schools not just sitting and waiting for stars to come out coz they are a member club!!

which i also told BSA at the forum that they held at morphetville tavern which not many people came to probably coz they couldnt hide behind an anno handle its was face to face must of been to scared!!

Reply #129444 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

Promotion of basketball could start in the beginning of the school year in Term 1 leading up to the SAPSASA carnival at the end of that same Term. Get some basketball people out to the schools to run clinics with the view of creating an equipped team so that the kids can represent their school a couple of months down the track.

This was my last year of "coaching" a SAPSASA yr 6/7 team at a primary school that does not even have a gym or indoor facility. I am a parent with no coaching or playing experience I really only acted as a supervisor to call the subs etc. We had 8 players, only one was a district player, a couple others play social and the rest not at all. Because I work, the team just did their own lunchtime scratch matches throughtout the term as a bit of training. Our team of boys are characters, they actually didn't get much training in at all because they seemed to end up spending their lunchtimes in the re-think room and one boy ended up on school suspension so he missed out on playing. They pulled it off ok, winning all but two matches, which given their lack of experience and equipment showed how their desire won over on the day.

Reply #129516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754