Interested
Years ago

Crawl back under your rock Nagy.

Isn't it time for Boti Nagy to crawl back under the rock he came from?

I find it both sad and ironic that ego maniacs such as Nagy think that coaching a junior basketball team is akin to running a billion dollar corporation or that every game is being played for the proverbial sheep station.

Flashback one year to this post:
"re: Coaches for next season 06/07' (#91727)
"A good junior program won't last if the smoke about Boti... turns out to have a fire fanning it."

The fire is now burning at Southern; a great club that has invested a lot of time and effort into establishing an internal junior development program to encourage talented juniors who are not in the SASI program.

If Nagy thinks that 'sacking' players from the under 18 program, who are also in the development squad, because they'd prefer to play Div two than put up with his "Basketball is more important than Year 12" bullsh*t is the way a "Senior Basketball figure" should act, then he is more delusional than anyone had ever thought possible.

Not only is the 'sacking' totally unnecessary and contrary to what Southern is trying to achieve, the manner in which Nagy conducts his 'sackings' is appalling. If the situation wasn't so distressing for those involved, it would almost be amusing that such an illustrious and highly decorated sports journalist gets his kicks from bullying 17 year old girls.

So Nagy, stick with your poisonous little opinion piece and let people who just want to play the game do what they love doing in peace.

Topic #11079 | Report this topic

tigger  
Years ago

Need to know 1-4 offense or your out!

Reply #128794 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Not sure how old you are Tigger or how long you've been playing Basketball, but last time I checked, not knowing a play 3 weeks into the season is not a reason to be sacked - note: not dropped, told you can no longer play in your age group- when you're an U 18 girl.

Reply #128795 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Interested

You have been around for a while on this forum.
Why are you surprised by this?

Reputation has been the same for many years.

Reply #128797 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

I'm not suprised Anon, I just hadn't had any first hand experience with the narcissistic phenomenon that is Nagy.

Reply #128802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interested; try to imagine the same intensity that your u18 coach may be displaying and then transfer that to 10-12 year old girls, because that is what was happening at the last club your U18 coach was at.

My family has witnessed 1st hand the coaching style of your current u 18's coach in question over many years at his former club.

Needless to say we, along with a number of other families at his former club, are glad we now only have to put up with him as an opposition coach, and even that is painful.

For anyone that is about to use the "sour grapes" routine to shoot me down, save it. My child played Div1 for the coach in question, and continues to play div 1 "post Boti"

You might also want to talk to some of your tiger parents from the u16's and ask them how happy they are at the moment, and I am not talking ladder positions!

To sum up, the coach in question is a very good coach, look no further than the nationals last year in QLD; however there is a lot of baggage that has been brought to your club that the tiger admin should have been aware of before making the appointments they have.

Good luck!

Reply #128835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see people are seeing nagy for what he is. All clubs he has had things to do with coaching wise regret having ever seen him in that role. First hand experience with Adelaide. Mates wife played with Sturt same story. Eagles as above and now Southern. What an ego. What a TOOL. I do not know what is worse, his coaching or the crap he writes.

Reply #128838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interested don't crap on you are not in the development squad at all.

Reply #128842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interested,

Good to see a Forestville person bagging Boti.

Reply #128857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have had more than my fair share of run ins with Boti over the years but always found him to be approachable enough when I had issues to discuss. He doesnt suffer fools easily but he's not an orphan there. For people to attack him here can only be seen as spineless and the forestville parent worst of all because you pretended to be one thing but were poison behind his back.

Reply #128917 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Just to clarify-
I'm not crapping on - I'm fully aware I'm not in the development squad because I'm about 7 years to old to play U 18 baskteball.

Also, If posting an opinion on a Basketball forum is spineless - what is bullying people half your size and age & sacking someone over the phone? Pretty damn low I would have thought.

The way Nagy has been behaving is unecessary. Some of the biggest hard-arses I've come across, including senior coaches I've played under and people I've dealt with professionally, would never stoop to Nagy's level.

Being a tough coach who gets results and doesn't suffer fools is one thing - bullying, harassing and undermining people is another thing entirely.

Reply #128941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interested, the way to deal with this is face to face with Nagy and if not satisfied with the result of those discussions then with your club committee or specified club person for grievances.
Airing your perceived grievances on a public forum just gives people a one sided view and allows character assassination. If your gripe is real address it to thru the club and have it dealt with professionally.
Let me also add, there is no nice way to cut kids and if kids prefer to play in the two's before the ones I'd cut them too. All girls are faced with year 11 and 12 in 18's and the issues of school work. It is very hard to balance both basketball and school and only the dedicated succeed. Some have the added responsibility of SASI and the lucky ones have State trialling commitments as well so your experience may be unpleasant but by no means unusual. To an outsider it appears Boti wanted a committed group of girls and he cut those who preferred to stay in two's or couldn't successfully cut the work load.

Reply #128957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did the player in question fail to attend all trainings? Was she not encouraged to try another team at Southern that had a more relaxed training schedule that suited her available time?

Everyone has their 'enemies', but is this really the place for them to come out of the woodwork on an issue with which they are not fully informed?

Reply #128975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Southern's preference is to sack people at McDonalds.

Reply #128981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#128917)
You write like you have some idea of the situation yet if you have delt with him over a number of years you must have agreed with everything that he said because if you didnt, you would have fallen from favour along with your child. Unless you drove him around from stadium to stadium that is? Prehaps your child was 1 of a lucky couple of kids in the team that had talent coming out of their backsides. In that case he would have been all over you and your child like a rash... personal calls on a weekly basis... not needing to turn up to training if he wasnt going to be there, ect, ect.

Yeah he is approachable, as long as you tow the line and nod your head a lot; he hates to be told he may be wrong, yet loves to dish it out himself all the time. He loves to surrond himself with more assistants than players, but will not take their advice come game time. Look out if one of the 2 in partnership up there is coaching your child because they are pretty quick to label your child early on, and it will stick for as long as they remain at your club. I do not think that one half of the partnership up there understands the concept of players growing and developing. Players are either good, or not, no in betweens, apparently! I only ever witnessed 2 individual one on one training sessions with a kid from his team, the funny thing was it was the BEST player in the team and the rest of the team had to stand around watching before the regular training started, although I must admit this changed pretty quickly after a couple of protests.

I take it by your comments your child is now a Tiger because it is impossible to find a parent at his former club that will not roll their eyes and curse his name as soon as it is mentioned. I have not found one yet anyway; however I do conceed that time tends to create a more rosy picture, even to ones who may have been adversly affected by their styles of coaching.

The person in question is actually quite a good coach; however he is not a coach who develops players,which is something a junior coach has to be.

As for being spinless and poison in his back, well unless we are all prepared to put our name, address & telephone numbers on here, I think its a case of the pot calling the kettle black, dont you think?

Reply #128987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 128981 crawl back under YOUR rock.

Reply #128988 | Report this post

Joblow  
Years ago

My child was coached by the Nagy's for quite a few seasons. The one thing I can say about both he and his wife is that when it comes to basketball and basketball talent they are brutally honest, as it should be. My daughter who at the time I thought was a fair player was dropped to a lower Div because she was thought to be too much hard work,and as it turned out she was, in a basketball sense.I have watched the Nagys coaching and can only say at forestville at least there are a few kids who are fulfilling their potential who may never have done so under another coach.If you want to have a fun time playing the game play social.And no I was not one of the favoured few parents in the high achieving teams.Most of us as parents seem to think that our kids are a bit better players than the coach does,Boti only helps to bring us all back to reality.Love him or hate him he knows more about the game than most people on this forum will ever know.AW, Forestville

Reply #129024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr nagy should never coach. He has put a lot of talented people off basketball and this is not sour grapes as I have not been coached by him or had children coached by him. My association with nagy has been something I will always regret. He uses people to his own ends and then gets rid of them. I am so glad he has never coached my child. I think a lot of his brothers and their skills when they played. Boti never had that and has lived in their shadow playing wise. I know coaches are hard to come by but if you want you're club to stay united don't use nagy.

Reply #129058 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Joblow, "If you want to have a fun time playing the game play social." Isn't it true that you become good at something if you enjoy it? I know nothing about the Nagy's coaching style, but if the kids and parents are being pissed off about it, even the kids with great potential will not realise it unless they are given a good chance. If you take up the position of a coach, then you have to coach everyone. Kids very easily chuck the towel in if they don't get what they want out of something, that I do know from experience.

Reply #129073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

P M's style is less than perfect in relation to demeanor nd telling kids a thing or two so where's the sturt knives for him.

Reply #129090 | Report this post

Think this might be a bit hard. Sackings at southern is part of the committee culture, U14, U16, U18, Coaches or players it does not matter.
The club is there for the committee not the players, any issue that you dont agree with the committee, your sacked. Committee does not agree with the president, your sacked.
Feel sorry for the player, if it is right, but you now join what is a majority group in SA basketball - sack by Southern.
Hence dont think you can blame Boti for club policy

Reply #129210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't defend boti he always has been like he is now. Take some advise Southern get rid of him before he does more damage.

Reply #129217 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

(#129024)So you are saying Boti told you that basicly your child was not as talented as you thought, and you took it on the chin and agreed with it? You would have to be one in a billion parent.

I don't think so, nice try Mr or Mrs Nagy.

Reply #129582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#129024) He thinks does but there are heaps of people out there with astute basketball brains. I don't deny boti has a love for the game but unfortunately that's where it ends. His column in the paper shows he is a vindictive person that holds grudges and lives in the past .His lame jokes and constant bitching shows that he is so one dimensional. This also carries through to his coaching style. I do not have kids that are being coached by him so I am not a sour grape parent. All people trying out for a team deserve to be given a go. The hardest workers will sometimes go further than the naturally gifted. Mr nagy if you read this give up coaching you have caused problems at enough clubs already.

Reply #129711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #285886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754