Isaac
Years ago

Dench confirmed by 36ers

Everyone's favourite former Rookie of the Year is on board:

Axel will add much needed size to the 36ers front court as he joins Brad Newley (Townsville), Brad Davidson (Singapore) and Adam Ballinger (Wollongong) as a part of the 36ers' active off season recruiting plan.
Full article

Topic #11316 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, I think he is a good acquisition!!

Reply #131838 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Wookie likes milk

Reply #131854 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

I am not sure about this, i am really worried now about defence capability of big me. Dench cant play defence, either can Ballinger.. mmm anyway Phil has never asked his players to play great d.

Reply #131861 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Yep, inspiring signing.

Reply #131883 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Ballingers D is a step up from Horvath .

Coops inside presence has improved and was inspiring many games last season .

What Dench may lack on the Defensive side he will make up for with his ability to drag out the opposing C and nail the three ball .

I think we have done extremely well this off season and now have IMO 4-5 of the best 20 three ball launchers in the league .

Will be an exciting year ahead .

Reply #131886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you have to look at our C position as a whole.......it will give us greater versatility!! You have Cooper who is a defensive shot blocking/changing machine and on top of that a good rebounder! If in the off season he can improve the consistency of his shot, he could be a dangerous player to opposing teams. Then you have Dench who is a major threat for opposing C's and as stated before will draw the opposing C out to the arc, this will allow for more guard penetration, of which they can finish themselves or the defence will collapse on the guard who can then dish the ball out for a wide open shot!! There wouldnt be too many C combinations that will average 15 and 15 atleast in this league and I think that is what we should expect from these 2!!

Reply #131890 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Hard to win a championship from the 3 line. Especially if your centre is out there and not on the boards. I am not a Dench fan at all.

Reply #131898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I beg to differ Paul.......Sixers have done it a couple of times before and Wollongong have done it with Dench! Also, if Dench is out on the 3 point line and hitting them then the opposing C will be out there defending them, thus rebounding would be up to the other 4 players on the court! Im sure that if he is not hitting his shot he will not camp himself out there and if he does look for Cooper to sub back in! I think you have to look at the positives he will provide this team and not the negatives!! The positives are not always stat related either!! Dont be surprised if a number of players Averages improve this season due to Dench!!

Reply #131912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another teams reject, so we pick him up. What does that tell you.

Reply #131933 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

The opposing centres will not be out on the 3 point line guarding Dench.
Most teams will use a forward and keep their big man close to the basket.
The softest team in the competition last year just added the softest player in the competition last year!
And the Sixers have done it before, but with much, much better and talented teams than this one.

Reply #131939 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

According to that logic, Brad Newley is just "another team's reject". Go figure.

Reply #131940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper, Horvath, Maley, Nash, Stiff, Garrison, Mee, Copeland plus many more have been other teams rejects, yet majority of people have been happy to acquire these players and we have even managed to win a championship or two with some of these players!!

Reply #131941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the opposing teams C is not out guarding Dench and they are using a F to guard him while their C stays at home in the key way, then I think you will find we have an open player on the 3 or somewhere else on the floor, who will then be able to knock down an open shot! This is what Dench brings to the team......your argument doesnt cut it my friend!!

Reply #131945 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Does this mean that there is no more rumours????

Who is next rumoured players to sign?

Reply #131951 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not telling!

Reply #131953 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Damned if you do, damned if you dont

I am sure some people would whinge if we announced we were signing Michael Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, Rodman and AI (all in their prime of course)

Reply #131957 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

damn it....

Reply #131960 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

DICKO....

Reply #131961 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Nah Yogee, those guys....I could handle at there very worst! haha

Reply #131975 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

knackers.. when did the Sixers do it before?

And for anyone that thinks Copper will be a force in the NBL, I just think you're quite mistaken. Defensively I'll agree that he is quite good, but he is not that strong. He'd get eaten alive by a Bradtke (lucky he's retired)/Anstey/Rogers any day of the week. And offensively sorry, but he flat out sucks. A "decent" role player, but nothing more

Reply #131976 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

In my opinion not a bad round of signings. there werent many better out there to get, if Newley plays and plays well, we have the makings of a competetive side..its up to you now Phil...

Reply #131980 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Im happy with the Dench signing, who out there available is better than Dench to share centre with Cooper??? i dont think there is one, maybe Derek Moore but i say those 2 are about level and Dench is probably alot cheaper as he hasnt been playing in Europe earning big bucks and plus the Tigers cut him and had to buy him out, or atleast make up the difference (i think) so if i was the 36ers and Dench for that matter id sign for the minimum and let the Tigers foot the rest of his salary, and if thats what the 36ers did than Dench is a great pick up try finding someone else better than Dench for minimum, or an Australian centre who is available at any price for that matter.

Reply #131990 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Brad Newley, Brad Davidson, Adam Ballinger, Axel Dench - are we talking about the 36ers? Lets hope a core group can be found from this latest lot so we can start to feel that they're part of the family. A complete overhaul causes just as many problems as what they potentially solve. There will be the problems of the team gelling again. Hope next season's team is one that can be built on for the future rather than disposing and starting all over again.

Reply #131994 | Report this post

geez EC give the team a break

you have to start somewhere. just about everybodys contract expired this last season gone as well as Mal didnt have full control of the team for last seasons signings anyway. what would have you done???? signed everybody back on again for another dismal season and have the fans baying for blood again.

i believe Mal and Phil have put up, lets see what they can do with this group

Reply #131999 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I agree after last season we had to have a major overhaul of the team this season. I just hope that this group will prove successful and provide much needed stability to the team in future. You can't get away from the fact that they are once again a new group and need to learn to gel with each other.

Reply #132001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the Sixers signature move to recycle players that other teams don't want.. I'm happy with the Dench signing - at least he's not 42 years old!

Reply #132021 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Lockstock, I was responding to #131912 about the 36ers having done it a few times before (a Championship that is). Sorry about the mis-understanding.

Reply #132022 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Maher 34yrs
Sutton 23
Ng 24
Cooper 31
Copeland 42
Newley 22
Dench 31
Davidson 33
Ballinger 28
= 9 Players
= Average age: 29.7

Copeland bumps up the average age a little but you can't really call this team old because there is Sutton, Ng and Newley who are young.

Reply #132026 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

I think you are abit harsh EC........I'm tipping it will only take 5 or 6 weeks for them to gel!!

Reply #132028 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Is that you Phil?

Reply #132049 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Yeah sorry Knackers.. I didn't see the previous post that actually claimed they had done it before with 3 point shooting centres.

I'd still like to know when we won a championship with that type of man in the middle though

Reply #132062 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

knackers , if they use a PF to guard Dench when he floats to the perimeter then Ballinger or IMPORT 2 will have a mismatch with a Center guarding them and should be able to school them with quickness and agility .

We could post ballinger up and if they don't double from somewhere he will be in for a fun night or if they do then we can have newley slashing and maher and dench spotting up.

The line up we have assembled so far is definitely conducive to some 5 out loosey goose phil ball and while this style needs to switched up it is certainly exciting and very hard to contain .

Reply #132086 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Well I am now closer to getting seaon tickets have to admit. Does anyone know if Nash has been cut for sure?

Reply #132146 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Nash wont play for the Sixers this season.

Reply #132156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathematically Nash has to of been cut! The points system wont allow him to fit in the team!

Reply #132182 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Think you will find that the 36ers have jumped the gun on this one.
Nash won't play but there is still the matter of a year left on his contract to sort out and a payout to be negotiated (lucky for him its not the Dragons!).

Reply #132186 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I am pretty sure the sixers would have been aware that he has a year to go on his contract.

He will be paid out I would imagine. But it would only be a percentage of what he would have recieved had he been play.

Reply #132190 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

Does this mean the music man will be bringing out the Axel F music ?

Reply #132271 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Does a contract payout still affect the salary cap?

Reply #132358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No.

Reply #132406 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Skip , how do you know itll only be a fraction of the contract ?

Speaking of which (payouts) : is anyone else pissed off that the Sixers will probably pay-out the last year of Nash's contract after he clearly wasnt up to it last year, but was signed to a 2 year deal anyway ???

Poor management decision last year, IMO, to sign him to a 2 yr deal- who else wanted him that we had to give him 2 ?

Reply #132421 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Probably Phil!
I guess with the signing of both Dench and Cooper that we are no longer after Schenscher?
It should be a very interesting line up once they have finished recruiting. It was mentioned in the paper that they are looking at a 3 man (David Thomas like) as their import, so I assuming if Brad plays he will play the 2 spot and Maher at the PG spot?
A starting lineup of...

C- Dench
PF- Ballinger
SF- Import
SG- Newley
PG- Maher

Bench
C- Cooper
PF- Dodman (another Dev. Player)
SF- Copeland
SG- Ng
PG- Davidson, Sutton

I still don't think we have anywhere near the team to compete for a championship, especially with that bench.
I know it is better than last year but will still be around 4th or 5th.

Reply #132432 | Report this post

Giraffe 71  
Years ago

well 4th or 5th is decent, if we get to the semi's then that would have be the best result in 4-5 years

Reply #132442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've got 42 year old Copeland who will shoot 20 shots a game at only 10%. Plus, Copeland will get all the court time and Sutton won't get any, so look for Sutton to leave (like Hill) when the opportunity arises.

Also it'll be a repeat of last year where Horvath didn't get the ball often enough.. this year it'll be Ballinger, but Ballinger will make 95% of his shots despite taking only 7-8 shots a game

Reply #132537 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon,

Both Sutts and Ng got pretty decent minutes last year when we had Farley & Copes in the team. Why exactly should it be any different in the coming season? Sutts doesnt even play the same position as Copes.

Why don't you just give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment and wait to see how the rotations work out?

Reply #132544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:48 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754