Kent Brockman
Years ago

Funny 36ers to announce second import tomorrow

Guessing this is why Potsie is headed overseas to sign up the import. Anyone heard anything?

(Mod: The second import will be announced at a press conference tomorrow, 1pm.)

Topic #11631 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Incoming scoring SG/SF.

Reply #135866 | Report this post

Bluey  
Years ago

I am hearing a whisper that he is a white guy who isn't that well known.

Reply #135867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bluey you're half right.

Reply #135872 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Hmmm..... is it Billy Hoyle?

Reply #135874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he better be black

Reply #135879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

135867 and 135872 are funny posts when you know who they're from.

Anyway,

The Adelaide 36ers will hold an important press conference at 1.00pm tomorrow at the Distinctive Homes Dome to announce the signing of their second import position for the 2007/08 NBL season.

Also in attendance will be new recruit, Brad Davidson, who has arrived in town from Singapore, Club Captain, Brett Maher, and Head Coach, Phil Smyth.

Reply #135881 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Yes!!!

Reply #135887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The import is dave chappel who played for the breakers a few years ago

Reply #135890 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I doubt it. I think it will be someone new.

Reply #135891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait and see dic.head

Reply #135892 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Anyone prepared to leak the name for impatient fans like me who cant wait to find out who it is???
If its Chappell, who played for the Breakers that would be a good pick up in my opinion. as he is 6'8 and long and versatile from what i remember of him with Wollongong, Canberra and New Zealand

Reply #135893 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dave Chappelle is the comedian. Mike Chappell is the basketball player, ex-Wollongong, ex-Canberra, ex-New Zealand - correct.

Reply #135899 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

so its Mike Chappell coming to Adelaide??? if so, sounds good to me, i remember Boty hinting at it or atleast naming him in his ideal 36ers team at the beginning of the off season. There has also been talk of looking at a fresh face in the paper, which would also be exciting, but can be risky so on that front i wouldnt mind it being Chappell if it is him, if we got a fresh face i hope they spoke to Cal Bruton, he seems to be the man when it comes to bringing in imports! Phil also has a good track record with imports to. Exciting times ahead!!

Reply #135902 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Actually, Chappell would be okay but i would rather someone in a McKinnon mould.

Reply #135905 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From Wikipedia

Michael Lawrence Chappell (b. January 21, 1978 Southfield, Michigan) is an international professional basketball player. Chappell is known for his silky smooth style and finesse on the basketball court. As a swingman, he excels as both a guard and a forward. Chappell has exceptional range and is respected for his excellent sense of sportsmanship.

Upon graduation from Michigan State University, Chappell joined the rosters of the Wollongong Hawks (2001-2002) and Canberra Cannons (2002-2003) in the Australian National Basketball League (NBL). His popularity within the NBL brought him back to star for the New Zealand Breakers in 2003. In 2004, Mike Chappell set a new NBL record after scoring an explosive 44-points in a game against the Perth Wildcats. Word of Chappell's success in the NBL reached the US, and he was selected to play for the Toronto Raptors in the 2004 NBA Summer League in Minnesota.

After his stint in the NBL, Mike Chappell ventured out into Europe where he played in Portugal (Queluz). He also has played basketball professionally in Lebanon (Champville). In August 2006, Chappell signed a deal to join the Sendai 89ers for the Basketball Japan League.

When he isn't playing basketball, Chappell favorite pastime is spending time with his son, Isaiah Chappell, who was born in Auckland, New Zealand on March 16, 2005 and holds dual citizenship. The New Zealand national basketball team, The Tall Blacks, has jokingly extended an open invitation for Chappell's son to join their roster some day.

It would make sense for him to want to come back to the NBL to maybe see his son a lot more.

Reply #135906 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

C Cooper/Dench
F Ballinger/Dodman
F Chappel/Copeland
G Newley/Ng
G Maher/Davidson/Sutton

Reply #135907 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thank god people are actually happy with a selection the Sixers have made. He will prove to be much better than Tucker! Adelaide will be very very competitive this season. With guys like Ballinger and Davidson, out hustle plays will sky rocket too!

Reply #135912 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

*our hustle plays ;)

Reply #135913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how likely is it to see newley actaully play this season tho...and without knwoin Ng's injury wuldnt that make it a lil sticky..altho im sure Ng will be back in time for the season...
point of this post who knows, just wanted my two cents...

Reply #135915 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

If Newley goes, it sees us with 11pts left and maximum so we just have to replace him with a Euro Aussie.

Reply #135916 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

or schensch.

Reply #135919 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

even better

Reply #135921 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I hope Newley stays, i thikn we have a team that could give the top 6 a crack with him, but yea if he goes and we cant replace him with anything great we will be ok with
Davidson, Maher, Chappell, Ballinger, Dench as a first 5, not great but its ok prob about the same or a bit better as the Slingers last season who came around 8th which was better than the 36ers so still an improvement! Are the sixers still also looking to bring in another PF???? I wouldnt mind Andrew Rice, aslong as he comes for minimum coming in to back up Dench, Cooper and Ballinger

Reply #135923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team looks ugly with Copeland in it.. he'll take more shots per game than our 2 imports combined (and only make 15% of them).. but i guess they signed him coz he fits the age criteria!

Reply #135926 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Why does every think Chappell will be the one anyway? 1 person (anon) said this.

Reply #135927 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

it may not be him, i wouldnt mind if it is though, i guess we will have to wait and see til someone who is in the know confirms it or the announcement tomorrow

Reply #135928 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

omg another age joke these are getting older then time itself

Reply #135930 | Report this post

Road Runner  
Years ago

Ballinger and Chappell were team-mates at Michigan when they won the NCAA tournament in 2000,
so this might just be true..

or a cruel hoax..

Reply #135933 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Article on AdelaideNow mentions Mike Chappell.

Reply #135947 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

I can assure you it will be Mike Chappell.

Reply #135950 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Dave Chappelle would be better, roll him out for the half time show if we are getting pumped....

Hopefully he brings Killer the dog with him as well....

Mike is a player in the Rob Rose mould is he not??
Didn't really watch him play here before...

Reply #135971 | Report this post

Wayville 74  
Years ago

Isaac - could be that Boti has seen this thread, and the mention of Mike Chappell. He then writes about it (being speculative of course), and now that name has come full circle.

Reply #135976 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I am hoping at the press conference when Boti asks Chappell about him self he replies with

"Look bitch I am Rick James"

Reply #135983 | Report this post

baked beans  
Years ago

BORAT

Reply #135993 | Report this post

(#135872) is that you Phil?

Reply #135996 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

135976, no, Boti usually has better sources than this forum. Plus, it wasn't his article. And the Chappell name has come in from a number of directions anyway.

Reply #135997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its. i'm rick james bitch,. Darkness is the house!

Reply #136000 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Chappell would be awesome. I hope it's him.

Reply #136019 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Only one thing as old as the age jokes - people complaining that the age jokes are old.

Reply #136021 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

If it was age, then it would be Ian Chappell. I want to hear Chappelli state "I'm Rick James bitch, Darkness is the house!"

Reply #136024 | Report this post

I'm hoping it's Dave Chappelle.

He could bring Charlie Murphy, Prince and the New Power Generation with him. That cat can ball.

Then at least at practice they could have the shirts vs the blouses.

Reply #136026 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!"

Reply #136027 | Report this post

Baby J  
Years ago

Only thing older than people complaining that the age jokes are old is Lanard Copeland

Reply #136029 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Pumped your diaper lately Baby J?

Reply #136034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL.. true Baby J!

Reply #136035 | Report this post

Baby J  
Years ago

Interesting question

Reply #136036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL.. true Baby J!

Reply #136040 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Is this the best we can do on a 36er forum?

Reply #136049 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

50 freak'n minutes & noth'n on the official site, or here.
Breaking news, OBVIOUSLY.
WTF.

Reply #136050 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The press conference was at 1pm, not necessarily the announcement to the public directly.

Chappell was mentioned as the signing on this forum yesterday.

Reply #136063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754