Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ers sign Mike Chappell

Mike Chappell has been confirmed:

The Adelaide 36ers have finalised their roster with the signing of their second import position for the 2007/08 NBL season. The 36ers can confirm they have secured former Michigan State Champion, Mike Chappell, for one season and could not be happier with the recruit.
More information

Topic #11636 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It is chappel show

Reply #136037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers finalise roster, sign Chappell!!

http://www.adelaide36ers.com/36ers/media/news/249/

Chappell it is!!! :)

Reply #136051 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Excellent. I reckon this will be a great signing for the Sixers.

Reply #136054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marc Howard has put up the NBL's thoughts on the Chappell signing:

He is a silky smooth small forward who is exciting to watch and at times seems almost capable of winning games off his own bat. Chappell doesn't need a lot of plays run for him, but rather just needs the ball in his hands to make good things happen.
Read more

Meanwhile, you can get a season ticket for someone under the age of 14 for just $60 this year - $4 a game is very affordable and $60 is a great pricepoint for gifts - nephews and nieces, brothers or sisters, cousins, whatever - that's an easy option when buying presents.

Reply #136057 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

I can now say that I will re-new my season tickets. Great signings during this off-season!

Reply #136058 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

So its now final - Pending Newley and the NBA

C - Dench / Cooper
PF - Ballinger / Dench / Chappell
SF - Chappell / Copeland / Newley
SG - Newley / Ng / Maher
PG - Maher / Davidson / Sutton

Im pretty happy.

Reply #136059 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Finalised their roster??

Who is the back-up PF??

Dodman? Nash? Who??

PG: Maher/Davidson
SG: Newley/Ng
SF: Chappel/Copeland
PF: Ballinger/ ????
C: Dench/Cooper

Reply #136060 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Sorry Sutts, my bad champ!

Reply #136061 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I loved watching Chappell play here in Canberra teaming up with Dave Thomas.

He'll fit right into the squad as he's pretty laid back and it won't take long for him to become a fan favorite.

Only one season????

Reply #136062 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

With Boti seemingly away at the moment, hopefully this can still gain a decent spot in the sport section tomorrow.

Reply #136066 | Report this post

Years ago

he won't supply us with the same highlights as willie did will he?

Reply #136076 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

. I don't think he will provide us the lowlights either (see: no D, bad attitude, missing the playoffs, going missing during entire games).

If you want dunks and "razzle dazzle" go play on an 8 foot rim with your buddies, film it, put it in slo mo to some cool emo music or hip hop track by xzibit or fiddy and post it on youtube.

We want wins not highlights loser!

Reply #136078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always thought Chappell was overrated. It's not a bad signing as such, but its a underwhelming one. Anyhow, this team should be must improved over last seasons.

Reply #136079 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Great signing for the Sixers. BTW Isaac, the flash is over the menu. Highlight Schedule and Results and you don't get all of the options.

I would like to see a backup PF signed. Even Rice.

C Cooper/Dench
F Ballinger/Rice
F Chappell/Copeland
G Newley/Ng
G Maher/Davidson/Sutton

Excellent scoring puch!

Do the Sixers intend on signing a PF or is Dodman the man?

Reply #136080 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers.com says:
Height: 207cm

NBL.com.au says:
Height: 203cm

hmm...

Reply #136081 | Report this post

Years ago

ahaha - how did i know some guy who thinks he knows it all was gonna put that into context with a winning at all cost type reference...svd u proved me right
and u forgot to mention the stellar seasons farely had and winning us a championship...i still want to see some highlights when i go to the games...and on that team they might not be as exciting to watch when farley is playing...not gonna cry about it but what do u think gets everyone on their feet at the games? but thanks for expressing ur moral values and beliefs...

Reply #136082 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

he sounds pretty good - read all the source articles on wikipedia

Reply #136087 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Winning is a highlight for me, good team ball is a highlight for me but if you like dunks then that's cool too.

Reply #136088 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

well - maybe not ALL of them - but there are a few hints there that he will be a pretty good player for the sixers

Reply #136090 | Report this post

Years ago

yeah they are highlights for me to - i love nothing more than my team winning...but at the games there is not a better feeling that the whole crowd standing and going mental because of those kinds of plays that willie produced...its not one or the other...

Reply #136092 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

My view is that more wins will bring more people thru the doors so more people will "stand and go mental".

Reply #136096 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

That and bringing back the Navy Seals ... I will miss you Booga!

Reply #136097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And just as quickly sitting down for his lack of work ethic, attitude and allowing his man to consistantly beat him night in, night out! Rise all ye faithful.

Reply #136100 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Mike Chappell is a fantastic signing he can flat out play. If his personality is as good as rumoured, then he should have no problem fitting into the 36ers system and improving the team. This years roster is looking so much better than last years in all aspects, I expect us to make a run deep into the playoffs.

If you are worried about highlights then I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised when the season gets underway, as well as watching the numbers go up in the W column.

Reply #136102 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Good signing by the sixers. If Newley plays then I may even consider buying a season ticket!
Does this all mean that Schenscher is out of our plans???

Reply #136104 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Still alot of playing spots left.

36ers: 0
Blaze: 2
Cairns: 2
Bullets: 2
Crocs: 3
Tigers: 2
Dragons: 0
Slingers: 9
Breakers: 3
Kings: 1
Hawks: 2
WSR: 4
Perth: 1

Overall: 31 spots

If Singapore stays, i can see Ryan, Reed, Carter, Marcus NG, Stewart all signing with a team

Reply #136105 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Hasn't Schensch been out of our plans for a couple of months now?

Reply #136106 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

He is still a possibility especially if Newley gets drafted.

Reply #136110 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

For those of you that think this guy doesn't have any flash, obviously you didn't see his massive dunk here while playing for the breakers - I still think it's the greatest jam I'm ever seen at the Dome!!! Great signing guys, I'm excited! :D

Reply #136119 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

How old is he? (not trying to be funny here....)

Reply #136120 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure he is 203cm 6'6.

Reply #136130 | Report this post

shauno  
Years ago

any video footage of him floating around?

Reply #136131 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Channel 9 said 207cm.

28 years old?

Reply #136133 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Fantastic signing! The Sixers are doing a fantastic job at recruiting! Chappell should be very exiting, I remember some awesome dunks he threw down in the 2004 all-star game. But he's got more than dunks, this boy can play!

Reply #136139 | Report this post

Years ago

yes boys - wins are better than dunks...yes...yes i understand...i simply asked if this guy will provide us with some highlights...simple question...no need to get all 'winning is everything' on me...i know i know...jesus...

ps- stop bagging farley - the reason we had a championship that year

Reply #136144 | Report this post

Years ago

for example - 'nicks' answer above - all i needed

Reply #136145 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

every profile site ive seen says hes 6'8 or 6'9

Reply #136146 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

He's taller then Cooper!

SG/SF????

Reply #136148 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

There is no way he is taller then cooper! Great signings by the sixers this off season!

Reply #136153 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

well he IS at least 6'8, how tall is cooper?

Reply #136156 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Cooper=206cm
Chappell=207cm

Reply #136165 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I think the way Farley handled the second half of last season left a bad taste in everyone's mouths .. (in fact, you could say the same for his road play for the last few seasons) and makes it hard to remember any of the highlights ...

Reply #136170 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

don't be like that. Despite his play for most of last year, he did carry the side for a while when brett was out, and his service to the club should be appreciated.

Reply #136171 | Report this post

Years ago

no - i remember all of them...im thinking about them right now...wow...it still gets me excited

Reply #136172 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think chappell is around 6'8-6'9 Cooper would probably be taller at around 6'10ish, but not much in it with height. I think Chappell is a player of the KB mould and will be a good fit for the 36ers!!

Reply #136173 | Report this post

Years ago

no shit joshuapending

Reply #136177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chappell is 29 years old..

I'm surprised they signed someone who wasn't 35+ years old.. oh, i guess they still have Copeland

Reply #136192 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Adelaide have a good team now, don't be like that. Old jokes are out!

Reply #136197 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

DJ better check your math!

Reply #136206 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

123abc, Cairns has no spots left.

Reply #136236 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I'd say there's no way he's 207cm. 203cm (6'8" BTW DJ) is far closer to the mark.

Regardless, it's a very solid signing. Looks like we have a team suited to Smyth's style (very loose, a ton of shooters, will put points on the board in a hurry).

Not sure how great our D will be this season, but we'll certainly put some points on the board.

Reply #136255 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Silly example, but If you add everyones average points from last season, we are looking at an average of 131 points a game.

Yea, I know it wont work like that, but could be some exciting free flowing games in store for us.

Reply #136261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier Pioneers fans may know of Chappell as he signed with the club in 2002 before failing to arrive with no notice after his committments finished with Wollongong.

Reply #136279 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

I think the reasons why people are saying Chappell is taller than he is, is because he's been playing in Japan.

Everyone looks taller over there!!!

Reply #136288 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Maybe you guys should check your maths!

1 inch = 2.54cm (approx)
203cm = 79.92 inches
29.92 inches / 12 = 6.66 thus 6'6 (I am not of the NBA mould where you round it up to the nearest inch and than add 1 inch)

Or alternatively try exact 1 centimeter = 0.393700787 inches

203 x 0.393700787 = 79.921259761 inches

/ 12 = 6.66010498008333333333333....

No matter which way you do it the bloke is not yet 6'7 and therefore must be listed as 6'6.

Reply #136293 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

PS I'm sure all you basketball nuts have heard of one Michael Jordan - 6'6, 198cm (6'5!! actually 6.4960629855)

Reply #136303 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Wouldn't .66 of a foot be 8"?
Back to basics:
0.33=1/3
1 foot=12"
1/3 of a foot=4"
0.33 or1/3 of a foot=4"
Multiplying that by 2.
If:
0.33=1/3
Wouldn't 0.66 be 2/3?
1/3 of a foot is 4"
Wouldn't 2/3 of a foot be 8"?

Reply #136315 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

DJ - I think you might be confused....

heres how I see it using DJ's calculations

6 feet + 0.66% of another foot

ie 6 foot + (0.66 x 12 inches)

ie 6 foot 7.92 inches?

ahh the decimal system when rolled into the imperial system can be so painfull!

Reply #136316 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Thank you, DDFan.

Back to school for you DJ. No one is horrified at MJ, listed at 6'6" his entire career, is (OMG) actually 6'6".

:).

Reply #136317 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ha - beat ne too it DDfan

Its a bit like the cricket when channel 9 says there has been 5.3 overs bowled - they of course mean "5 overs and 3 balls" rather than "5.3 overs" so the correct decimal number would be 5.5 overs.....

Hmmmm spot who has a bit of spare time on their hands this afternoon ;)

Reply #136318 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

36ers, Channel 9 say 207cm

NBL say 203cm

Reply #136363 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Does anyone remeber Chappell's massive dunk over Ben Pepper in the 2004 All-Star game in Melbourne. I can remeber Casey saying: "What a dunk! Mike Chappell could have air sickness".

Reply #136373 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'll cop that ;-)

Reply #136398 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

BTW, looking over Channel 10, 7 and 9 sport news reports of the Chappell Signing, i heard Smyth say that he is 6'8.

You would have thought that Cooper would be 6'9/10

Reply #136405 | Report this post

Jack Rabbit  
Years ago

Statman, you never fail to impress!

Reply #136498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754