Kent Brockman
Years ago

What will you remember Willie for?

For me the dunk over Heal and the dunk on Melvin are stand outs.

Topic #11646 | Report this topic

Chewy316  
Years ago

Dunk on Melvin was amazing. I also remember Willie for his playoff series in 02. He should have got the MVP that year.

Reply #136221 | Report this post

Pasadena 94  
Years ago

Reply #136222 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Playoff series in 02. Vs Hawks. He did a cross over that sent Matt Campbell sprawling before fading away with a late game clutch shot.

Reply #136224 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C424HS3S_0

this was amazing to watch...willie was sooooooo very hot - take a look

Reply #136234 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Just posted this in the other Willie Thread.

This is my favourite dome dunk I have seen in person.

(was lucky enough to be only a couple of metres from it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybS8gBeBGmg

Reply #136235 | Report this post

As good as Willie was, sorry guys, I will always remember how he sooked for most of the matches he played last year.

Last year his effort was below par.

Reply #136238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed! As someone mentioned in a previous thread, he has left a sour taste in my mouth for the last two seasons.

Reply #136240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, that was one of his best patches of basketball in his time in Adelaide.

There's a video of his game in Perth on YouTube too - he dominated that.

Reply #136246 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Willie who?

Reply #136250 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I agree with #136238. For all the awesome stuff he did, not least virtually bringing us a championship, his peevish attitude the last year or two totally sucked. It sours all the other memories.

Reply #136270 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Surely people wont remember him for some of last season's below par efforts.

If you had seen almost any of his games from 02 than that is most defintly what he should be remebered by.

For me its the Semi Finals vs Vic Titans - Game 3 the sheer confidence he had in himself and the team and got the job done (not just in the game but also pre-game, he had an air of no chance they were losing that night), no one particular move or play but just a whole game of solid lockdown D (somewhat uncharacteristic for Willie). And some killer crossovers coupled with that sweet fade away.

33 points, 5/7 3pts, 6 assists and 8 rebounds.

And an awesome team 4th quarter to outscore them 30-17!

And a close second the pic Pasadena 94 posted - Baby Jordan!

Reply #136274 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Some awsome stuff over his years.

Do you reckon the Blaze will pick him up?

Reply #136275 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they need a point guard.

Reply #136278 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I loved watching Willie play, but one memory that will stick in my mind was the Crows v Sixers charity match and watching Willie trying to bounce a football while running down the court. It was histerical!

Reply #136290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excitement, flair, pizzazz and some bad defense. He did lift the crowd on many occassions!

Reply #136314 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

As mentioned above..the flair and style...and LOVED when Willie was on song..and pumped the crowd...sad about last year...but he made the Dome rock some nights.

thanks willie

Reply #136320 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Issac
I know Willies not a pg but it would maximise backup PG SOJ time on the court.

Anyway I'd love him to still be in the league if possible

Reply #136322 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

His flair, his "Willie-Style" and his ability to hit the most amazing shots when they were needed - Especially at the start of 05/06 when we had about 4 games won by less than 4 pts - He had the ability to hit the shots that were required - almost "Maher-like".

He was a great guy to talk to after the game as well. One night my mate and I were intoxicated as usual and joined in a bit of a scrimmage with some other lads down on one end (This was after security had left) - When Willie come out everyone tried so hard to impress him and perform the best move and shot and he took it all in giving us a few rounds of applause in the few minutes he was standing there watching us.....

Top bloke Willie - We will miss you - Hope your career takes you further!

Reply #136326 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

What I will miss most will be his famous defensive stance "the crab". I remember when he was pumped and apply the pressure defensively he would get down low with bent knees, prompting a comentator to say excitedly "He is going into the crab !". The defender then proceeded to blow by him like he was standing in cement and score on a layup...

Oh the memories....

Reply #136338 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

DJ - I've been a season ticket holder since the Powerhouse opened. I saw Willie perform in 2002, and he was awesome, for sure. But there's no "should" about what his lasting legacy will be. The guy showed himself to be a sook; his behaviour would have been reprehensible had it been manifested by a toddler, much less a supposedly mature, professional adult athlete.

Enjoy clinging to those memories of the golden year; personally, I'm hoping that the new imports are more like team players and less like prima donnas.

Reply #136364 | Report this post

Willie Farley  
Years ago

Thanks guys, it's good to know I still have fans in Adelaide. I'll never forget the time I spent there.

(Mod: If this is Willie, he's been posting on the forum an awful lot recently...)

Reply #136372 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

not referring to all of my comments by any chance 'mod'

(Mod: Correct. Same computer.)

Reply #136385 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

hahaha...that was a test isaac...:)

Reply #136390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a hard one then.

Reply #136392 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Ben no doubt he had his 'sook' era - but why remeber him by that when he gave us much better memories?

And of course we are all hoping the new imports in fact all the players are more like team players than last years display!

Reply #136397 | Report this post

Ted E Bare  
Years ago

I will remember willie for bodily waste disposal functions, and other fun things (kids read, dont ask for clarification)

Mind you as it as attached, pretty hard to forget willie.

Reply #136412 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I remember him for his dunk on Ben Thompson, I stand to be corrected but I think they were his first points scored in the NBL, it was certainly his first game at the powerhouse. Streaming out on the break, 1 defender in front of him, no one's sure what he's capable of, then BAM he elevates and throws down a nasty one right on Thompson's head.

Reply #136422 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

For me its quite easy to overlook his performance last season as a lot of it was masked by an entire team being crap. The highlights of his time with Adelaide are far more prominent. I would not hesitate for a minute to bring him back if the decision was mine. Whatever the issues were last year, I don't believe for a minute that he would have continued on the same path. He still had a lot to give. Even last season, we were lucky to witness some of his special magic on court that made him the much loved player that he was of the past.

Reply #136433 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

True DJ. I guess maybe I'm a little bitter about last season, still! Hopefully the new squad can help me to forget it...

Reply #136540 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

cant go past the dunk on melvin - i finally found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyUAej9P4ew

Reply #137384 | Report this post

BIG baller  
Years ago

the only thing i didn't like about him was he only played hard for 5 to 10 mins in the last quarter if the sixer were winning but he was a good fast break dunker

Reply #137385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754