Anonymous
Years ago

Broken Hill carnival - anyone going?

Is anyone / teams going to the broken hill junior carnival in october? I played in it a few years ago and it was an awsome carnival. It wasn't on last yr due due to lack of teams nominating because they reckon its too far to travel. This is thw weakest excuse considering the amont of travel that the broken hill teams do to support our carnivals. I think that we should try to get as many teams nominated as possible this yr. Should b a great carnival!!

Topic #11696 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

as far as i know Whyalla, Pt Augusta and Pt Pirie will all be attending.
Mildura used to be a regular attendance so possibly add them to the list also.

Reply #136909 | Report this post

BIG baller  
Years ago

who do we contact about getting the senior carnival back and running seeing barossa is going downhill and pirie is gone

Reply #137105 | Report this post

PPBA-JC  
Years ago

It's very difficult for Port Pirie to attend the Carnival because basketball has only just started, but a grade or 2 may get filled just depends on affordability & player availability.

It would be fantastic to be involved in their carnival, it was always one of my favourite carnivals to attend due to the distance travelled, it created a good bonding atmosphere between players.

Reply #137386 | Report this post

BIG baller  
Years ago

thats how i felt about the Feb carni in pirie but then we got told not enough teams so it was cancelled

Reply #137387 | Report this post

PPBA-JC  
Years ago

BIG baller

Port Pirie stopped hosting a carnival due to the poor nominations we received 2 years ago, where we had to end up cancelling the carnival.

Matt Whittaker came up with the idea of holding a mini blitz between Port Pirie, Whyalla, Port Augusta & Broken Hill as we have had close ties in the past.
The blitz offered a opportunity for the representative teams playing off at the Country Champs to get more experience playing together.

It has proven to be quite successful, but the $1,000 prize money is also a very attractive reason to attend.

I personally havn't been involved & I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Broken Hill has attended..... I Stand to be corrected.....

The competition is for A Grade Men & Women & we are looking to grow on the the amount of teams who attend, however they would need to be Country Associations who attend the Country Championships.

I'm led to thinking that Yorkers will be attending the next carnival.

If anyone out there is interested in bringing their senior country championship team for the carnival & can fill a A Women & A Men, please forward your interest via fax on 0886332120 or email [email protected] or send letter to PO Box 120, Port Pirie, SA, 5540.

Reply #137389 | Report this post

BHBA  
Years ago

Broken Hill have attended that mini blitz. They were planning on attending the carnival again this year but got the datesmixed up. They had their teams made up and ready to compete but were heading to port pirie on the wrong weekend. Just a bit of a mix up but will continue to support the pirie carnivals in the future and hope that pirie will support the broken hill carnival.

Reply #137393 | Report this post

PPBA-JC  
Years ago

Excellent, thanks BHBA, as I said I hadn't been involved for the past 2 years, so was unsure if Broken Hill had attended or not.

I'm now on the BOM & the date has been set for the Mini Blitz, being Saturday, 17 November 2007 & Sunday, 18 November 2007. Nomination forms are being sent out in September.

We have the Broken Hill Carnival on our Calender & on the agenda to discuss what teams we could get to attend the carnival, the problem that we have is it is the weekend of our first week of competition. Friday the 19th is our first game of the season for u14's & u16's Boys/Girls & it's the first week back from school holidays.
I believe we are contacting Whyalla & Port Augusta to find out how they get their teams together so early in the season & what teams they are taking to attend.
Due to the time/date etc. of the carnival the easiest team we could get to attend is our u18 Boys, as I have just ben given the coaching role of these lads.
With contacting Port Augusta, Whyalla etc. we may be able to share a ride to & back from the carnival & hopefully we will be able to attend
None of what I say is official, more my thoughts/concerns & what I assume will be discussed at our next meeting.

Out of curiosity from a few years ago..... When was the Broken Hill carnival held on the basketball calendar year as i cannot remember.

Reply #137395 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Depending on the date in October.. a Forestville team may attend?

Reply #137398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u20's????

Reply #137403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PPBA-JC

I believe that Whyalla will be looking at taking a team in every grade from 12's to 18's/19's.

They have already started planning for the upcoming combined season.
they will try and organise coaches for each grade over the next few weeks then set a date for tryouts.

the full logistics have not been finalised but they are definately starting to get prepared.

The date for the carnival was decided on at a meeting with reps from each association at the Whyalla Carnival. I think it was around the 20th of October.

Reply #137412 | Report this post

BHBA  
Years ago

im sure teams of any age group would be great. not sure of the dates of the carnival. Maybe you should contact the broken hill association and ask them. Im sure they would really appreciate the support from all of these teams to get their carnival up and running. It should be a fairly good competition, especially in the 18 girls and 16 boys. well for that matter it should be good competition in all ages

Reply #137413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should be good

Reply #137415 | Report this post

PPBA-JC  
Years ago

Hello link - #137412 (anonymous).

re. "The date for the carnival was decided on at a meeting with reps from each association at the Whyalla Carnival. I think it was around the 20th of October."

Can you please tell me who the Port Pirie representative was that attended this meeting? This is the first I have been told of the meeting, it will give me more questions to ask at our next meeting.

Thanks.

Reply #137545 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

Dont have to, just ask me?

Reply #137579 | Report this post

PPBA-JC  
Years ago

PPDO - re question "Can you please tell me who the Port Pirie representative was that attended this meeting? This is the first I have been told of the meeting, it will give me more questions to ask at our next meeting."

Thanks.

I have spoken to board members who were at the Whyalla Carnival & they do not seem to know anything about the meeting.... Hence the reason of wanting to know so we can discuss it at our next meeting.

Reply #137717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Present at that meeting were DNSP Regional Head Coaches Graham Semmens (BH), Stephen Patterson (Why), Matt Whittaker (PP) commitee members Audrey Marks (Why), Simone Schupelius (PA), Darkie Whittaker (PP). This meeting was facilitated by the SACDM Jason Bald with the focus on Development in the North of the State & the current status for the Broken Hill Junior Carnival.
Dates were discussed & agreed to by all in attendance

Reply #137719 | Report this post

Georgie  
Years ago

yep im definatelty going to the Barossa carnival even though its gona be freeziing!!

Reply #139570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754