lockstock
Years ago

Todd Matthews & the 36ers

Todd Matthews has generally established himself as the premier PG in the ABL this season, averaging 17 ppg, 6 rbg, 6 asp and over 4 spg.

What does everyone think about him playing NBL? Do you think he would have an impact at that level?

Personally I would much rather see him backing up (or even starting) at the PG spot instead of Sutton, who hasn't exactly been setting the league alight this year at all.

Thoughts?

Topic #11730 | Report this topic

Panther  
Years ago

Todd's probably a bit small for the NBL in my opinion, but I guess that never stopped Mugsy. The strengths of Todd's game is he's quick and very strong, a bit like a running back, which would help him offensively but still he would struggle defensively due to his size, a bit like Ng.
This is why someone like Sutton would get the nod before Todd.

Reply #137302 | Report this post

Opinion  
Years ago

Matthews would help the right program. A young franchise with young players would definately be helped by Matthews.

Reply #137303 | Report this post

DH  
Years ago

Aaron

I think you will find Todd has trained with the 6ers over the years when coming back from College, so i guess they have seen plenty of him. I think he would be great for the team but realistically he would get exposed defensively. It has worked in the NBA with small guards who generally create more havoc for the opposition than vice versa, Boykins went for 30+ a few times. Good team defensive would help Matthews out in the NBL. I say sign him

Reply #137304 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He should get someone to shop him around a few clubs. Does he want to move to Singapore...?

Reply #137305 | Report this post

sutts for me  
Years ago

I would take Sutton everyday of the week. Did anyone see the game between Norwood and Forestville this year. Sutton was awesome! Mathews went missing.

I would hardly say that Sutton is not playing well. Leading the league in assists and pulling down his share of rebounds. Sure he hasn't been scoring as much this year but he doesn't need to. Forestville have 7 guys averaging in double figures! He plays the role of the exact point guard that the sixers need coming off the bench. Not to mention that he has already showed that he can play at NBL level.

I think mathews is having a great year, leading his team to the top of the table. No doubt that without him Norwood would be in 5th rather than 1st spot, but when it comes to NBL I think Sutton. Unfortunately, Todds height is always going to stop him going the next step, as it did Brenton Cambell and many, many others.

Reply #137311 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Are you talking about the semi final last year?? Matthews tore him and the entire Forestville team a new one!!

Reply #137316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should be rewarded for his great season.

Reply #137334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers are trying to pick the best team they can and maybe prepare some young talent for future inclusion - not sure that rewarding ABL performances is a priority is it?

Reply #137339 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

how tall is todd??

Reply #137370 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I'm not sure if height is such a big deal at NBL level.. there are not many PGs out there who look to post up their defenders, and the ones that does (DMac being the only one I can think of) uses his strength rather than height to get his shot off, which you'd think Todd could handle.

Reply #137371 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

5 foot 9 at a stretch!!!

Reply #137383 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Sutts for me,
which game are you talking about?

Reply #137394 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Todd Matthews would be my pick, in the games i have seen this year he has burned...sutts for me, if the game you were talking about is that game at mars 6-8 weeks ago, that night the whole norwood team went missing....Todd Matthews is a gun and dserves more recogntion than he gets!...i would put him a 6ers uniform, he could easily handle the NBL game....

Reply #137397 | Report this post

Panda  
Years ago

Each of the guys, Sutton, Ng and Matthews have things going for and against them. Matthews being shorter but a great ball handler, Ng being a great shooter and not a great ball handler and Sutton who has a good all round game.
Each player can bring something different to a team, get them all in there pre-season and see how each player fits into the dynamics. Each guy definately has game in my opinion it will get sorted out on the pine.

Reply #137438 | Report this post

clem scott  
Years ago

Maybe if Todd had taken growth hormones then he would get the nod as well

Reply #137552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worked for BJ Carter.

Reply #137567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

todds a awesome player can defend anyone and can get around anyone. the sixers will be to scared to pick him up he may actually be good. you'll see todd in a nbl singlet this coming season. i'll leave it up to him when he comments on this.

Reply #137671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL singlet? Is he going to go to proball shop and pick himself up a Brett Maher singlet to wear around is he?

He might find it hard to find one small enough to fit him!

Reply #137673 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

You are such a tool have you ever seen him play?

Reply #137683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen him play but he's gotta be betta than Lanard Copeland!

Reply #137687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754