Isaac
Years ago

Tigers to trial Paul Shirley?

There's a "rumour" around that the Melbourne Tigers will trial ex-NBA Paul Shirley, currently playing in Spain.

The name might be significant to some and not to others I suspect - Shirley has written (features, book(s), etc) about his life on the end of a bench - known for his comical stories/blogs about his experiences.

Whether he'd give the Tigers what they need is one question. How they'd fit him under the cap when they have 8 points to spare is another.

Topic #11796 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have actually had some discussion with Shirley. At the time he said he reckoned he would end up in Australia one day.

Shirley is a champion!

Reply #137935 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Why question how they will fit him under the points cap?

We all know that Anstey didnt have as good a season as his MVP season before.

For that reason surely he should be able to have his points reduced to an 8.

Reply #137943 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

if he keeps his blogs up on ESPN....I cant see how this wouldn't be some of the best advertising the NBL has ever had outside our shores, let alone for FREE!

Just hope he has nice things to write ;)

Reply #137970 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

make sure he ends up at the tigers and not the dragons then

Reply #137979 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hey, he'd have plenty of positive to say about the Dragons if he went there. Apparently EVRYTHING is positive at the Dragons.

He'd certainly have plenty of fuel for his blog. How he grew up worshipping Shane Heal. How he's looking forward to Shane working with him. How much he values Shane's leadership. How much he enjoyed watching Shane when he was younger. How much Shane led the way for Aussies overseas. How he hoped to be able to look forward to Boomers one day so he can follow int his role models International Superstar foosteps. How he hopes his ultimate goal of the NBA can be reached......"If I'm half as successful as Aussie NBA legend Shane Heal, I'll still be better than that Gaze bloke" says Shirley, before shooting an inquiring look to Heal standing behind the camera. Thumbs up from Shane and Paul breathes a sigh of relief.

Reply #138003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I swear... Shirley is the WORST player to ever play in the NBA.

Reply #138015 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

No, Matt Steigenga is the worst player to ever play in the NBA, and the bum has a ring for 12 minutes work.

Reply #138020 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Matt Nover Ver. 2.0

Reply #138024 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Are the tigers getting some of there players ratings downgraded or dropping someone??? as they shouldnt be allowed to fit in a new import with only 8 points left, as if the tigers are allowed to do this what is the point of having the points cap all together???
I think the nbl should force them to let someone go and replace them with a lower point player if they want to add Shirley or any new import. Im sure there are a few clubs out there like Wollongong, West Sydney or singapore who could use one of the tigers bench players like a Stiff, Hoare, Crosswell or Corletto. So come on NBL get tough and make the tigers abide by the points cap.
Im pretty sure Anstey and Shirley are mates and played together in Russia, so it would be interesting to see how he goes in the NBL, if the Tigers are allowed to sign him.

Reply #138074 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754