FLY
Years ago

How much are refs allowed to say?

Refs do have to put up with a lot of crap, but hwat about it's the ref him/herself that goes to far? I don't know much about reffing, so those who do, how much are they allowed to say back to a player/coach/spectator?

It's miniscule, but a few weeks ago I was told to "shut up" by a ref. As far as I know this isn't allowed?

Topic #1204 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You were probably told to shut up cuz thats what you deserved!

Reply #13550 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

True true, but is it allowed?

Reply #13560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's gonna stop them?

Maybe more of them need to tell loud mouths like yourself to shut up so the rest of us can get back to playing ball.

Reply #13569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have told you to shut up as I was throwing the tech on you.

Consider yourself lucky.

Reply #13572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think refs are allowed to say shut up or something along those lines but nothing above that! if they say anything else above that then the person they said it do probably deserved it!

Reply #13609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chill out guys, he asked you a question, not to be lectured by you's about his behaviour!

I want to ask, does the coach have a right to confront an umpire during a time out or half time or something to question a call?

Or does the umpire have the privilege of shutting the coach down, even if he just wants to ask?

just wondering, i saw this happen on the weekend

Reply #13638 | Report this post

Hero  
Years ago

I seriously rate wellbourne he may not be the fittness buff or the brightest bloke but if he stuffs up he will tell you and he will explain calls to you rather than other umps on a power trip. I as a player become more understanding when the umpire isn't on his high horse.

Reply #13727 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

If a referee is spoken to in a manner that is disrespectful then really it should be up to the ref to how he responds. As a player what I have a problem with is if you ask a question or approach them in a mannered way why shouldn't you get a mature response to your question. Some refs just don't communicate with you.
I had an instance in a game on tuesday where I went for a steal just before half way there was contact from a player on the opposite team towards me which forced me over the halfway line. Both refs saw what happened but the ref at halfway called it over and back. The other ref then said to me, sorry mate you got screwed on that one. A play later the ref who made the called then apologised to me! If both refs new it was the wrong call what's the problem with changing the call???

Reply #13893 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

without seeing it etc. the ref who made the call had time to reflect to his call might have realised he had made an incorrect decision if it is ten calls later you can't do a thing about it. and passing back errors are a correctable error like not awarding free throws which can be administers if brought to the ref's attention within the correct time frame.

majority of refs will go sorry my mistake and change their decision when they realise it at the time. like calling out of court.

Reply #13897 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

biasbinding - If it happens then you realise you can just say "my bad, that didn't happen the way I first thought" or something like that. It isn't a "correctable error" as in what's in the rule book.

Reply #13922 | Report this post

delicatesen  
Years ago

The biggest thing i hate are refs that r on a power trip, which is most of them. you are there to umpire not to make smart comments at players when they ask u what they did wrong. You guys have to get over urselves, its not like ur reffing NBA.

Reply #13959 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

nathan my 'bad' that should have actually read passing backs AREN'T correctable. damn i should check before i send and not do it so much a hurry before the boss sees me mucking around on his time.

Reply #13960 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Same could be said about some players delicatesen.

Reply #13974 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

then there are the players who
when they make a bad pass it is the person who failed to catch its fault
when they fail to catch the ball it is the person who threw its fault
they never seem to think they lay a hand on anyone yet blind freddy in the stand can see they mauled the player and he/she has been taken to hospital with multiple injuries
the coach is mentally incompentent if they dare take them from the court for even a second of valuable court time
they continue to shoot even when their shooting 3/15 but their poor results are either they got fouled, the wind blew, their hair got in their eyes.

ahhhhhhh there are so few of us that are perfect ;)

Reply #13976 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

TC,

That was me that made the incorrect call, I apologised later when someone explained to me what had happened. I literally turned my head for one second, and sometimes that is all it can take to screw up.

The other ref should really have said to come and talk to me about it, not tell you that you got screwed.

It was in my area and my call to make, that is why the other ref did not intervene. Once again my bad. I was still thinking about that call halfway thru my second game.

Reply #13979 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

No worries mp.

Reply #13985 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Delicatesen: Most of us don't referee for the 'power', our service is given to provide for a good contest.

Most referees work on the guide that if we are unnoticed at the end of the game then we've done a good job.

Reply #14015 | Report this post

delicatesen  
Years ago

Yes and that is the way it should be. But everyone knows that very rarely happens nowdays, im sorry to say it but it is true

Reply #14032 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would like to go back to the original post on the thread.

I cannot beleive a player thinks it was fine for him to say enough to a ref for the ref to tell him to "shut up"...but has a major sook when the ref actually told him to "shut up".

You really need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Reply #14036 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

So that was a major sook, Yogee? Ha. Like I said in the original post, it was miniscule and I was just giving an example.

What I said to the ref was something along the lines of, 'call the fouls both ends!' This was after I got hammered in the keyway.

You gotta understand, Yogee, that some refs are pr!cks. In the same situation, most refs wouldn't have said anything.

The question was, going by the rule-books, what are refs allowed to say. Maybe look at the question instead of getting stuck into people aye.

Reply #14041 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Fair enough.

I am just sick of people wanting to whinge about the refs all the time, and refs have no right of reply.....

Lets see some of thepositive comments about the refs as well.

Reply #14043 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754