Phil McKracken
Years ago

Locked: U18 Nationals Metro and Country

This thread is only a recap of scores and I do not intend on this thread being used for commenting on results of each team. I intend on this thread being used by lazy people like me normally that could not be bother clicking through the sportingpulse site for each team.

U18 Boys Metro
Def by
Queensland South 79-89 - McMath (16), Daly (16), Dubrich (15)

Def Northern Territory 127-61 - Phillips (27), Dubrich (18), McMath (15), Lycett (15)

Def Western Australia Country 91-79 - Dubrich (26), McMath (14), Phillips (11)

Def by Victoria Country 84-57 - McMath (17)

U18 Boys Country
Def by
Western Australia Metro 80-94 - McGinty (23), Yeomans (16)

Def by Victoria Metro 44-72 - McGinty (16), Redden (10)

Def New Zealand 78-67 - Yeomans (18), Redden (15), McGinty (13)

U18 Girls Metro
Def
Northern Territory 97-37 - Hargreaves (20), Williams (15), Boothey (12), Nairn (10)

Def by New South Wales 71-80 - McKay (14), Hargreaves (10), Williams (10)

Def by New Zealand 76-88 - Boothey (25), Hargreaves (18)

Def by Queensland South 62-66 - Hargreaves (17), Boothey (12)

U18 Girls Country
Def by
Tasmania 71-84 - Corbel (19), Dasey (17), Madgen (17)

Def Western Australia Country 62-56 - Madgen (20), Ireland (10), Dasey (10)

Def Queensland North 78-52 - Ireland (25), Madgen (17), Farley (12)

Def by Victoria Metro 44-66 - Madgen (11)

Topic #12127 | Report this topic

stir  
Years ago

gee the girls are going well..NOT.....Good selection coach...your a real winner, maybe now you might pick a team of talent instead of the suck ups....

Reply #141527 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

Stir

Read the top of this thread and stop being a tool

Reply #141528 | Report this post

Flinders 16  
Years ago

SAC Boys lost to NSW Country by 3 ("on the buzzer").

Reply #141532 | Report this post

Dreaming  
Years ago

Actually if I was Damien, I would have taken a team of first years rather than the shitty second years that failed at 16s.

Reply #141534 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Missing starting guard with injury, makes a huge difference.

First loss to tassie I have seen in a while.

Reply #141535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All not making top 8 then????

Reply #141542 | Report this post

interstater  
Years ago

More excuses on the way I suppose ?

Reply #141555 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

no excuses on the way just bad selections by coaches....one day they will wake up and say 'gee these coaches I have selected haven't come up with the goods' do they change coaches or stick with a losing formula? If thats an excuse then I'm sorry...

Reply #141585 | Report this post

Saw the 16's at Gosford last week and they fell on their own sword in crucial games with ball errors but the coach had plays, systems and ran the team well.
This 18's coach is a limitied coach who runs run and gun, give it to the 3 or 4 and put it up. He justifies this by always saying he has a short team but they get murdered in transition and the assistant coaches are head nodders and ego supporters with nothing to add to the game.
If anyone is surprised at the results you need go no further than his inability to have a plan other than the A plan. He continually runs traps that break down at the top end and has no idea what man to man is, set plays or motion.
The team would have succeeded more without the coaching staff.

Reply #141611 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Which coach do you mean metro or country, or both????

Have the country girls still got a chance to make top 8 if they win the next 2 games?

Reply #141630 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Country boys played great O v NSW but their D was terrible.

Reply #141642 | Report this post

Crapp  
Years ago

aint i guess you are a mark supporter by the crap you just typed. 16s coach has had better teams more often than 18s. 16s coach continually fails at this level but is continually given the job because of friendships with the right people.

Reply #141653 | Report this post

**Balla**  
Years ago

You guys are all being a bit harsh on your Rep teams. Winning isn't everything. These teams are packed full of talent that is developing and will grow into the next generation of basketballers. SA does extremely well considering it's size to other states. Let's try and focus on the positive's and have the negative criticism be constructive. When you state a problem, try and come up with the solution. I think the State coaches should be picked on form and should also be picked on coaching style.

Reply #141659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see the under 18s lost again...whats that now 1 win and 5 losses?...good effort coach....

Reply #141672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STOP BAGGING THE COACH, have any of you actually had a look at the stats of the team.

If you have you should have noticed that the team is reliant on two players so far in the tournament. Yes the second years have not performed, but then so have most of the first years, and why bitch is it only because your daughter did not make the team.

Damien has done a good job with the team,the losses were all close, 9, 12, 4 and 1 point.

I whole heartedly support Damien and believe he has the right mix of players, just most have not performedduring the week and with that happenning how can you expect them to win everything. If the other players or a few of the other players had performed the team would have been likely to have won most of the close matches and be running for a top 2 spot in the group.

AGAIN, Damien is not to blame, if you need to blame anyone it is only the underachievement of the players who have not performed during the week!!!!

Reply #141678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien for President.
He could not achieve when he had a great team. Perennial loser and underachiever without plan B. He most probably bore the whole team to death and they simply switched off.

Reply #141680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do you actually know him personally?
If yes, he must really not like you to make him bore you to death, if no then if you get a chance to meet him properly then you will know he is a great guy

Reply #141681 | Report this post

d  
Years ago

Yeah lets face it the whole State program has sucked this year. Perhaps there needs to be some change in the positions at the top.

Reply #141684 | Report this post

Edinburgh 24  
Years ago

How do you explain the success of the Nwd aba team then???

They were not expected to make playoffs!!!!

He has done an exc job with them and as such should be cut some slack.

As said earlier, the players own the results as much as the coach!!!!!!

Reply #141691 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

yawn......not that this will do anything but a change needs to be done NOW.....N G enough is enough pick the players that deserve to go and not the ones that 'PLAY THE POLITICAL GAME' Some parents are good at that....NG neeeds to make the decision...does he want a coach he likes as a friend or does he select a coach for the right reasons WINNING and not shaming South Australia

Reply #141699 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

That is such shit! Stir

As I read it now, Sam To play Sac in the semi? 6th pool a vs 5th pool b.

Winner to play for 9/10.
Loser to play 11/12.

Is this correct?

Reply #141700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stir, is this only because your daughter did not make the team. The coach is not to blame, nor should he have to put up with **************** like yourself shouting for his dismissal. he is a proven coach and in my eyes chose quite a strong team on paper.

You are asking for more first years, dont you know that 5 were chosen in the team in the first place, if you look at previous years normally only about 2 make the team.

Reply #141701 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

isthat right...you seem to know everything perhaps you should coach....by the way you don't know everything I have a son that plays but its hard to escape what you hear and really that doesn't matter the records show the truth...pull your head out of that thing you sit on and look.....lets see what happens on this thread....you are a minority goose.....thank god my kids aren't involved especially with the likes of you around

Reply #141702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually ill be the first to admit i know nothing about coaching , but i do know that the coach is giving up his own time to help out these girls.

The main point is that because the girls were unable to perform in the majority during the week, the blame does not rest entirely on the coach, as most people would agree on. The coach can not affect the way a person performs. Say if your son has a bad Carnival and so do a few other players, does that mean that you would wish his coach to be sacked?

Reply #141703 | Report this post

fox21  
Years ago

I'm agreeing with the anonymouses!
After some players withdrew cos of year 12 or "sick of sasi", or injury, there didn't seem to be a real lot left!
Plus, from what I've heard, most of the opposition have outsized and out muscled our girls. And apparently some girls just "haven't played their best". I doubt it is anything that Damien and his coaching team have or haven't done. Coaching 16 & 17 year old young women is probably akin to photographing babies and animals! My bet is that Damien has done everything that is possible. How hard would it be to be in SA metro's boots right now? Damien et al will continue to work against the odds. A really great coach does some of their best work in times like this.
Not that any of that shows in the stats.
Keep going Damien!

Reply #141706 | Report this post

fox21  
Years ago

ooops.
I didn't actually agree with the anonymouses who were bagging or sniping. Or being sarcastic!

Reply #141707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

completly agree with you, however individual stats do show the potential that the team could have had if more than 2players had played well over the week.

Say 4 and they would have done well in there pool, very much looking forward to next year with the potential that the first years have shown

Reply #141708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its just a general SA basketball attitude problem, everyone involved (SASI or non-SASI, coach/player/parent) should start looking at winning championships,not just competing as the great johnny warren said the socceroos need to look at winning world cups not just qualifying and look wat happened when they did and believed, the system must show some belief and positive people with positive attitudes should be giving roles (not saying the u18 coaches arent as i do not know them)

Reply #141710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fwiw from someone who has actually been watching them play, the game against NZ was a poor effort couldnt beat the NZ 1-2-1-1 press - either hadnt prepared for one or couldnt organise the girls to be beat it. Coach gave them a rev at quarter time. They were lucky to get into OT in that game. coach seemed very frustrated disinterested. NZ looked the much better team.They dont seem the have any star performers look a little unorganised at times and have only really gotten back into games by hitting a few 3 point shots. I have seen him coach at other nationals and he has looked more positive and into it. I would say over the past few years that I would consider him to be one of the better coaches at a national champs. There are a lot of first year players in that team. Vic Country have also failed to perform so SAM not the only team to miss out. Probably a 7-8 placed team at best this year.

Reply #141711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he lost before with 2 kids that just won the silver at the World champs plus 2 others that will represent OZ in u 19 World champs there were excuses everywhere, blaming kids for underperforming. He had a great team and lost it. This guy had good results in the past due to great players that did this for him, however overachieving or even in some cases achieving just was not happening. This time it is also the same  the team achieved the result it deserves  nothing more. Great motivator he is not, his trainings are boring and uninspirational and I know it because I have witnessed it first hand over past few years. Just ask his past and present players  BORING.

Reply #141712 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

Time for change....nothing more to say really. Results show this. Lets see if they have the balls to let go a favorite son for the sake of the game.

Reply #141723 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Surley any state appointment is not just open ended. There needs to be at least a 3-4 year time frame to get the job done.

After this you should be judged on your past efforts and the job put up for applicants to put there best case forward for another 3-4 year term.

Does this happen...I am not involved in this age group so I do not know.

Reply #141731 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

correct in one Pogo....one idea offer it to the Premiership Coach from the year before as a reward....

Reply #141754 | Report this post

Stir,
I suspected as such, with your statement that DW is a favourite son (I thought you were just joking on that one) but that last statement just proved you have no clue. Coaching at Nationals is nothing like coaching at club level. This is like suggesting that Bill who won the U10 champs at the local sports centre should coach an ABL team as a reward. Im also not sure you understand the motivation behind people that coach at state level either as you call it a "reward".

Stir why dont you apply for the U18 girls job and go through the process and see how you stackup against DW.... Not gonna happen is it buddy... you would be like one of those acts on Australian Idol that are terrible, think they are brilliant and end up been on some comedy hour.

In the meantime checkout my new site:
http://www.williamhung.net/

Reply #141756 | Report this post

planetof the apes  
Years ago

The game was set up for the 3 and 4 players. His game plan was to shoot from outside always. He effectively only used 3 shooters and the rest were instructed to run the three point line to find the 3 or 4's. If you think the points the players scored relates to playing well you have the mind set he has and remember they lost each game because of it.
No game plan. Repeat NO GAME plan.
The crap that Damien isn't to blame comes from Mars.

Reply #141761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't you just outline the game plan??

Reply #141768 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

will hung you are a total loser.....yes I don't know him and I dont want to know him...do you read and believe everything....how you look at the world outside your window amazes me no hope with the crap you write. Perhaps this was my fault and that I should have explained myself further (shows you cant see into messages as you have made up your mind haven't you - would you jump in front of a bus if I said to?)I said Premiership coach as a reward correct I was also talking about for that age group you goose....one thing you do have right is NO you won't have u 10 coach coaching u 18...be real...or should I say get a life.....it was a good suggestion...

I agree planet of the apes by the way....Coaching should be a shared responsibility and not suffer from nepotism and a good way is to reward coaches who have achieved.

Reply #141769 | Report this post

Stir, I was speaking metaphorically.

To put it simply. Coaching the age group at club level and winning a championship at that level the previous year is NOTHING like coaching at the Nationals. Winning a premiership at club level in that age group does not mean you are ready to coach at a National Championships the following year.

Speak to the players/coaches/parents that have been involved - there is no comparison between the different levels.

Your use of the word 'rewarded' earlier does demonstrate some lack of understanding. Speak to the club coaches in the age group that won the premiership and ask if they think they would want to/be able to be a state coach? What happens if they dont want to do it in a yr, then what?

Reply #141771 | Report this post

and all the current state coaches have achieved success in the past AND in recent yrs.

Reply #141772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Will,
Why don't you just go and give DW a kiss. This discussion is a repeat of last year, two and three years ago. The whole system needs a shake up. It has got stale and mediocre results just followed.

Reply #141773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Mahatma Gandhi

sounds like you're up to laughing anonymous 773.

Reply #141778 | Report this post

"Why don't you just go and give DW a kiss. " Did the discussion really degenerate to this level last yr as well???

Is the system more or less stale than your inept ability to read, comprehend what is written and form a logical argument?

Reply #141779 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

You know it doesnt matter what I say...it tells me change must happen to avoid nepotism and why not change the State Coach anyway. I don't really know him at all but what I do know he has had his time...don't get me wrong change for the sake of change doesn't work but in this case he has had his time now move over and let someone else have a go. He may have fresh or better ways or ideas it's called development...by the sounds of it you must be missing him dearly...you can fill up his hot water bottle when he gets home shortly and tuck him into bed.

To everyone else.....State Coaches are they reviewed, do they have a set of key guidelines and if they do not succeed what happens......

Reply #141784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why is weeks not using his big girl i see his using norwood player. SA State need to look outside sasi

Reply #141845 | Report this post

Eddy  
Years ago

The best performer in the group is not in SASI!

Reply #141848 | Report this post

Frustrated!  
Years ago

Eddy are you surprisd by your claim! seems to be the way in all things Basketball in this State. There will always be kids that perform better than the SASI kids and there will always be kids that perform better than the Div 1 kids and State kids.Low and behold if a kid IS truely better though and tries to infiltrate into the group - watch the knives come out and the backstabbing begin!

Reply #141849 | Report this post

][  
Years ago

This is pathetic. To the parents on here who child has not made the team, move on. The best team was picked, and your child, was not picked because they were not good enough. Can not live YOUR dreams through them forever.

Reply #141851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best player of the week actually dropped out of Sasi, and he is using the only norwood player in the team, but havent you noticed she is the only other player who is actually playing well.

Between the two of them they have scored almost half of the teams points over the week. Doesn't this show that the rest haven't performed, or will someone make up another excuse as to why this is the case, and both of them are first years aswell.

Reply #141857 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

Yes it does show that....good opportunity next year it would seem....it gets down to the selection process...it shows he can not select and thats obvious...need a new look

Reply #141874 | Report this post

][  
Years ago

And the group that played at 16s really excelled. didn't they? Hows Damien Senior team going? For a young team that wasn't going to make the finals, I think they are.

Reply #141885 | Report this post

lasttangoinparis  
Years ago

He created two teams within one. A team of seven who were accountable and dragged for every perceived and real error and a team of three who could turn over ad naueseum and make poor decisions without being dragged.
The team obviously couldn't function in such a way and the team of 7 lost confidence, were afraid to play basketball, take chances and do the things that got them into the team in the first place because the drag was ever present.
While the team of three gained in confidence and could do no wrong.

This type of coaching destroys team morale, and should not reflect on the girls in either group but it does scream out loud that the coaching staff have to look at their methodology and take responsibility for the outcomes.
When opposition scouts are laughing and leaving after 3 or 4 minutes you have to question game structures.
Effectively he has killed off 7 kids chances in numerous ways, not used his available talent and pig headedly stuck to a game plan that doesn't work. None of the three recognised his press failed every time at the top end, or how they were being butchered in transition and for those reasons all three coaches should be encouraged to not reapply for their roles.
Ive read many times on this forum from many posters who are happy to blame Smyth and Craig etc for team failures but the same critics seem over protective of state coaches even when their performances are below par.
Players, I understand, receive post nationals feedback on their performance , I can only hope their is some honesty in the feedback on the coaching if indeed they get any.

Reply #141886 | Report this post

][  
Years ago

last tango, It shows what clue you do not have. Craig, Smyth and other PROFESIONAL coaches are paid the big bucks to coach. Damien is not paid (apart from a free trip), and to be honest with people like you, it is not worth it. You are obviously a parent whos little princess is not getting a lot of time or did not make the team. I would guess that you probably have no playing or coaching experience at any level. Knowing that group of girls, it is a shitty year that has got worse as years have progressed. Damien can be judged on next years performance when they come back. I also beleive that he has coached junior Australian teams so other people in high places obviously think he can coach. I do get sick of people in all sports blaming the coaches for players not performing. The first years that are playing well are exceptional players!

Reply #141893 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Fortunately it is only too easy to coach great team and then take credit for their performance. The inability to coach shows when you have an average group and can not make it work. Good coaches have skills, attitude and program that can deal with this scenario and may not win it all, but can overachieve. This guy underachieved before, has no Plan B, favours small group and alienates all the rest, effectively having 2 teams in one. His favourites can do no wrong and all others have their confidence crashed. His trainings are 60% theory and 40% practice. He bores everyone to death, leaving kids switched off and uninterested. He can not motivate or inspire his team to do great things - I guess some people just do not have what it takes to achieve under adverse circumstances. It appears that there is no accountability for your performance in BA. Same faces, same structure same bull... year after year.

Reply #141909 | Report this post

][  
Years ago

So realist, another un educated fact. BA do not chose the coaches at a State Level. BSA and Glidden do. Boring, what results has he failed at? Before you bring the 18 super team up, they failed again this year in 20s. I think their result this year was worse. Australian rep coach, and it seems no one has mentioned that his senior team has over acheived this ABA season. Whys that? I do agree that it is the same faces each year and there is no transparency, but until Glidden moves on, this will not change. Perhaps there is not enough of the better coaches out there prepared to kiss arse. Look at the 16 girls, they have not done a lot this year. Next year country will detroy metro.

Reply #141910 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Well, I am so sorry that S has escaped from BSA, however if you read the content of the post you should know what I meant. And secondly, unfortunately I have to disagree with you on your first comment as I believe that he is nothing special. Good coaches have ability to overachieve and pull through under difficult circumstances. He has mostly only achieved the result that his team was capable off, nothing more and in some cases even that has been a problem. However your second comment is spot on.

Reply #141916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a number of reasons that we can all draw on when our teams fail or perceive to fail.

I do not know a kid or coach who goes out on to a crt and try and lose. Your teams in 16's ( boys in particularly ) were down right ripped by the refs numerous times, Metro and Country and cost a team a spot in the semi's, it could be argued.

The coach (Metro) did a very good job with those boys and showed when they beat WA Metro when their tournament was done.

The fact that everyone blames NG or the coaches seems to be an easy way out. SB had that group in 14's
(Sturt) and won beating 80% of the Vic Metro team if I read it correct. Coaches can take kids and teach, but when is it the responsability of the kid to do the extra work. Hence, no work rate, no success. The State is lucky to have SB, PM,PA,PR, LF and NG and MW and others who have given time and effort to try and be successful for SA, as it has been stated before, it is easy to sit back and shoot from the nose bleeds.
Go and pick , prepare, and organise, coach and be parents to players whilst on YOUR holidays, using YOUR $$$ and giving up YOUR family time only to be faced with some good opposition in a demanding pool and come within a whisker of making the semi's and anything can happen from there, only to be howled down for not being good enough or not doing the correct thing . Are you serious, these coaches would be welcomed in any other State for giving what they give week in and week out.

My question is, "who is going to do the job if these guys say enough is enough" ? I will tell you, the coaches who only coach whilst they have a vested interest ( kids, cousins, sisters, brothers etc involved.. )will and when they are done, will happily walk off and say I have done my bit !!!

You guys should be greatful for all country and metro folks giving their time to YOUR kids.

Reply #141923 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

what a lot of crap.....it's about winning at that level. Yes they dedicate time for free and thanks but if they don't bring home the bacon you need to move on until you find the right formula...FACT OF LIFE. You shouldn't allow the same coach to go on for ever...change, new ideas, styles etc need to come into the equation.
Everyone on this site agrees for change...again I support this comment by the number of reads....check it out....there is the answer NG find a new coaches face and lets go back to being a basketball power....

Reply #141925 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Again - all fine & well to say that Stir... who's your suggestion for who should be replacing these so-called under performing coaches?

Reply #141927 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

Yep it is easy to say.....but you have coaches out there good ones at that,why are they not being asked or is this a closed shop.

Look thats an easy thing to say WHO...but unless you open it up to all coaches how do you know the pool?

Reply #141929 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

by the way I'm not being bitchy just stating the obvious. I don't even know the guy but reading these threads perhaps its time....

Reply #141930 | Report this post

Stir, can I suggest that you are clearly ignorant to what it takes to coach at Nationals level, that you never played, had a child that did, or coached at this level. You admit you dont know Damien. You wrongly suggest, in your poor simple language that he is a friend of mine, which he is not. Why not approach him, or any other State Coach/Asst. Coach for that matter and find out what the week and the 6 mths leading up to it involves.

State Coaches dont grow on trees and they take time to develop. Go find out the state coaches basketball related CVs and you will see that in most cases no one in this state comes even close.

You say that club coaches that win a premiership should be 'rewarded' with a state role, that is ridiculous but I am sure if someone came along that could do the job better most state coaches would step aside and NG would gladly put them there.

Reply #141931 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What about the womens country coach? he was supposed to do well but even the metro side beat them.

He doesnt have a good track record, but he didnt have a lot to work with I suppose, they looked a very average short side with no real stand outs

Reply #141933 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Dear Will, It is surprisingly easy for you to call people names, but since you are such an expert I guess it gives you the right to assume everything about people that differ with your opinion. It is obvious that you are mistaking commitment with ability. Just because someone has ample time to spare does not make him a good coach and if this is main prerequisite for the job, then SA Bball is in real trouble. I do not know if you have noticed blinded by your DW fascination that main argument here is  Does state coach selection process is fair, selects the best people for the job and eventually delivers the goods. If the answer is NO, then maybe changes are needed to improve current situation, on the other hand if these people (one in particular has my utmost respect) are the best for the job so be it.

Reply #141936 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

"...but unless you open it up to all coaches how do you know the pool?"

It *is* open. Ask around at how many applicants there were for these positions? You can't be appointed to coach if you don't apply for the position.

Reply #141938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Super side from Qld Sth goes down to Vic Metro by 18 pts in Tassie.... shades of 2005

Reply #141939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stir,
You have very strong opinions which you are entitled, but you have really got no idea at all about the process or maybe you do but only by how if has affected you personally.
Here is the link to the advertisement for all state coaching positions for 2007, it was placed on the basketball sa website in August last year and emailed to all clubs so all coaches where made aware of these positions being advertised. I know that my club then emailed this to all of our coaches for a fact.
http://www.basketballsa.com.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=65852&orgID=9&Oname=Basketball+SA&O1c=6&O10c=12
You cant get much more transparent then that.
If coaches dont apply then they cant be appointed. And there is many reasons why they dont apply but number 1 is that its a thankless task where you give up your weekends for 6mths of the year for no pay then take shit from the armchair critics when they dont perform to your expectations.
I can tell you that for under 18 girls there was only a choice of one so they wernt exactly beating coaching applicants off with sticks.
I would also say stir that you have never ever been involved in a national championship ever, other wise you would know that you dont have the luxury of a club environment of a whole season up your sleeve to get player management on court right.You have only play by play and if the players breakaway from the scouting reports there is no forgiving time allowed.
I will be the first to say from the outside looking in it can appear harsh to the individual player, but guess what......they get it they truly do.
Some kids who you think will perform arent able to step up to the next level, then you have the other flip side, the kid who you didnt expect to do much actually steps up and shines.
So other than bagging the process or the people who are prepared to put up their hand to do this, maybe you should be part of the so called solution and offer the powers a choice of who they select for these positions, being by putting yourself forward or recommending others to do so.
Have a lovely day.

Reply #141946 | Report this post

Stir,

You are a basketball ignoramus,please don't share your thoughts on an open forum as we are becoming a dumber basketball state with every post you produce.

YOUR OPINION IS UN-INTELLEGENT AND UN-EDUCATED.

I find your understanding of what it takes to compete at a national level is seriously lacking. If you can't see SA teams will never compete at a nationals with only 2 u14 teams each year(Forestville/Sturt).Un-compeditive comps at junior level, result in un-compeditive state teams.
Don't you ever wonder why SA teams seem to lose close cames that vic's always win.

I'm pissed at myself for even responding to your dribble, would you please crawl back under your anonymous rock and die!

regards,
someone who actually coaches.

Reply #141956 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Ditto

Reply #141959 | Report this post

More people should be bagging the coaching ability of the three stooges who handled womens 18 metro team. One pass, shoot to lose games that were in the bag. He never once used the shot clock and never had a competent imbounder.
No inside game.
No transition game.
No use of the clock.
No team building.
No recognition of situations.
Selective dragging.

Reply #141986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is indicative of what happens a the club level too in my opinion.

Reply #141994 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Final Standings for the u-18's:

Country Women 11th - defeating Qld Nth 72-58
Metro Women 10th - losing to NZ 71-75

Metro Def Country 77-71 for a chance to play in the 9/10th playoff.

For Metro: Williams had 17 & 5, Hargreaves and Boothey added 14.
For Country: Farley had 19 & 11 and Madgen had 14 & 5.

Metro Men playing for 7/8th against NSW Country
Country Men playing for 5/6th against NSW Metro

Country Def Metro 77-71 for a chance to play in the 5/6th playoff.

For Country: McGinty had 20 & 8, Lean had 13 & 13.
For Metro: McMath and Daly had 10 & 4.

Reply #141996 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Edit: I got excited with the copy and paste. In the men's the score was 67-56.

Reply #141997 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

anon 994

"This is indicative of what happens a the club level too in my opinion."

Do you mean specifically at Norwood club level, or all clubs?

Reply #141998 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

U18 Girls  lost for words. Is this the best SA can offer?

Reply #141999 | Report this post

Dog 25  
Years ago

A side note for the Girls sides,

Metro 1-5 record for the round games, 1-2 for the finals
Country 3-4 record for the round games, 2-1 for the finals

Metro with a 2-7 record for the tourny
Country with a 5-5 record for the tourny

Round info, Finals Info

Reply #142001 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

why would people want to apply when the decision is made before applications go out....I am sure your ignorant twottle would know that stupid....I'm saying be fair and get results...if your happy with a below par result you my friend do not have an idea.........where is your solution gonso...haven't seen one yet...

Reply #142009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, if you look at the stats. SA teams had 3 of the top players in the tournament, how can you blame it on the coach, obvioursly this means that the rest of the team did not step up to the plate. What about the country coahc, i see they got 11th place and were beaten by metro when they were expected to do better overall.

Explain, does that mean they need to change coach aswell, i myself think it is mainly the selection process that is wrong, change that and you will see results forthcoming. It may mean get a new coach with fresh ideas, or it could be that you should impletment different selection processes, whilst using a coach like damien who is a very good coach in his own right

Reply #142020 | Report this post

mmmm  
Years ago

dont forget the last group was way ahead of this group of girls, so need to build again that takes time.Dont look at the coach look at the players too have some heart when they play.

Reply #142048 | Report this post

z  
Years ago

I am really dissappointed that the selectors didnt pick the best players.....it is obvious that the best players are back home honing their bagging, sarcastic skills upon the keyboard.....I am sure that the selected girls tried their hardest...i am sure that the coach and support staff also tried their best too....maybe just maybe things just didnt turn out.....it is too easy and a cop out to just bag everyone......I apologise for bagging the people who have been doing all the bagging....therefore I bag myself!!!! Good luck evryone for next year...yes there is a next year!!!!

Reply #142052 | Report this post

satchmo  
Years ago

If stats told all the story no one would need to scout a game , they'd recruit from the stats.
Metro utilised a third of their team and the other two thirds were petrified to make a mistake.
He ran in every game,irrespective of the situation, a game plan that was one pass and shoot from the three point line,and generally the 3 and 4 players were the only ones involved.
A team plan that builds around three players means those players build stats but the plan didnt work and they won squat. Check times and Turn Overs's and you will see that they were allowed to make errors and stay on court which helps confidence.
The stats and time suggests every time one of the others made an error they were dragged.
Not an ideal way to build team spirit, confidence or find your form.
Also, the stats tell me their was one outstanding player.
It will be interesting to see what N G has to say and do and on what and whom he places blame.
Unlike a lot of the posts on here, I don't enjoy the demise of 7 players careers and don't think any South Australian should either.
Something went very wrong in Tasmania with the team and and they either got 7 players totally wrong or the coaching and tactics were flawed. Having an intimate knowledge of how basketball in this state works, I would not like to put money on them looking for honest answers.

Reply #142053 | Report this post

interstater  
Years ago

Well, well, well - you are all turning on yourselves are you not.

Changes at the top .... needed to change the game in your state - otherwise the same old cr...... will continue.

Little boys club..... vested interest. Be intersting to see how the coach in the stand does for the 6ers.

Reply #142054 | Report this post

stir  
Years ago

nothing will change...it will be the same crap next year....I hope someone remembers to fire this up next year...same coaching staff, same game plan and same result....mark my words...THE SAME...Come on NG show some balls and actually do something for the better and future of this State, you have the POWWWWERRRRRRR

Reply #142055 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

What and ruin the family hoiday? it will not happen.

Reply #142059 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

This thread needs to be shut down

Reply #142060 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

So Dr who should be accountable with the poor showing at Nationals this year? Taking away my previous comment, performances should be reveiewed in an open process. Not a bagging session, but a detailed review. As far a I can remember this would be the poorest return of State teams for quite a while.

Reply #142062 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Should not be reviewed in an open environment at all.
You can be sure there will be a review.

Reply #142063 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

Miss understood me. Not so everyone can see, but a committee doing the reveiw and then a statement to clubs. Who performed well, what clubs need to do to help the process etc.

Reply #142065 | Report this post

I posted this on another thread before finding this one and it seems relevant to the debate.
Just a thought.
Mark coached the majority of this years metro 18 girls to 4th spot last year in the 16's and they failed by 4 points against Vic Metro which would have put them in a Gold medal playoff.
Say what you like but the man has tactics and game plans that , wait for it , he's prepared to change as the game dictates.
This seems to have been the problem with the 18 girls this year, no plan that worked and one dimensional coaching mindsets with assistanbt clones.
So the question should be, how could Mark get the best out of virtually the same group of players, with a couple of girls starring and all contributing BUT the present coach not?

Reply #142066 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

excuses not to change - under achieve year in - year out.

There is a saying that people in power or everyone for that matter reaches thier own level of incompetence - once they do they accept mediocricy.

There is no need to say anymore. Just read this post

Reply #142069 | Report this post

Double P's  
Years ago

planetoftheapes/sittingonthedockofthebay/lasttangoinparis/murderedbynorwoodnoideas/allquietonthewesternfront I think it is time you stopped all the seething anger you display on these posts and moved on with your life, if you have one - you were obviously in Tasmania and have some association with the team - the above psuedonyms are obviously from the same negative and destructive hater trying to discredit the Coaching Staff with all the name calling. I think most readers are seriously wondering what your real motivation is.
You have no idea and need to get a positive outlook on life and basketball in general and deal with your underlying anger in another manner.

I am sure the performance by the team and the coaching staff will be analysed by the State Coaching Director and some feedback will be forthcoming to the people concerned. None of the people involved deserve your disgraceful
and public display of venom - especially Damian Weeks

Reply #142070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May be the State Coaching Director
is the problem or has lower expectations of the teams than most people on this forum.

Reply #142072 | Report this post

runwordstogether  
Years ago

Could not be further from the truth

Reply #142073 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Mark is not that good of a coach and what has he acheived with the State teams he has had and the stacked local teams he had? Not much.

(mod: OK, I reckon we've probably had enough coach slagging now. This probably isn't the worst post we've had on the matter, but I don't think any more comments are necessary.)

Reply #142074 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754