Isaac
Years ago

Breakers target import Rick Rickert

As reported on RadioSport NZ, the NZ Breakers are pursuing 6'11" D-Leaguer Rick Rickert.

He played for Minnesota at the college level (same as Dusty Rychart).

* 2002-03 All-Big Ten First Team by coaches
* 2002-03 All-Big Ten Second Team by media
* 2001-02 Big Ten Freshman of the year
* 2001-02 All-Big Ten Second Team by coaches
* 2001-02 All-Big Ten Second Team by media
* 2000-01 McDonald's High School All-American
* 2000-01 Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota
Was drafted in the second round of the 2003 NBA draft by Minnesota with pick #55, but didn't make the team and has played in Europe or the D-League since.

Minor "claim to fame" is being punched in the face by Kevin Garnett after scoring a few consecutive buckets on KG in a pick-up game a couple of years ago. (Oblig. quote: "One time, she punched me in the face. It was *awesome*.")

2004:
Rickert, 21, scored several times with the 6-foot-11 Garnett guarding him. Several other players began to "tease" Garnett about being outplayed, according to a source. When Rickert scored again, Garnett struck him without warning.
Article

Topic #12303 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Rick Rickert??

Did his parent's not like him?

Reply #143374 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If they can recruit a decent Import guard They could finally be a Playoff threat.

Reply #143375 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

How can Jacob Holmes play for two teams?

Reply #143378 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Thinking the same thing Bizzy, quite uncanny.

Reply #143380 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It's almost a mix of Jacob and Jason Williams!!

Reply #143382 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

His parents had a stutter.....

Reply #143385 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

nice work bizzy

Reply #143386 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Names like this always remind me of my favourite gymnast, Ivan Ivanov

Reply #143387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or the old V8 driver - Dougall McDougall

Reply #143392 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Yeah, And the guy that NZ recruited from W.A. Hugh Jarse.

Reply #143393 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There wouldn't be many people in the NBL that could guard Rickert if he comes across...

Reply #143396 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What makes you think that? Have you seen him play?

Doesn't seem to be putting up numbers for the Ambassadors in the Stankovic Cup right now, so I wondered... I'm imagining him as a taller Ballinger, or a Horvath who tends to score off jumpshots rather than hooks in the post?

Reply #143397 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't think there are many defenders that will be able to stick with Rickert in the NBL as he's 6'11ish, way more mobile than an Anstey-type or any other player of that height on the NBL.

He can play inside and outside and he's got a good jumper. I can see he continuously taking jumpers over smaller defenders, and being too quick for the bigger guys in the league.

Interesting enough, it states on wikipedia the following:

"As of mid-2007, he has signed to play with the New Zealand Breakers in Australia's NBL."

Reply #143403 | Report this post

Minnesota Gopher  
Years ago

You are kidding if you think that Rick is more mobile than Anstey.. He isnt even close... Anstey more athletic and can shoot the ball a lot better.. Rick will be a good player but not what you think there big dog..

Reply #143424 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gopher - a good pick-up, or nothing special? Will he get on the boards? (You can email me if you'd prefer.)

Reply #143456 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yeah Dusty what do you really think?

Reply #143460 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

On the ball Kent...lol
Love those journalist skills.

Reply #143464 | Report this post

Flinders 15  
Years ago

Rick is hot! I just became a breakers fan... Breakers for title! Yes!

Reply #144389 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Rick has been with the Breakers for two seasons. He is a useful garbage man but not to be relied on in the low post. Obsessed with trying to pump himself up as an emotional leader (lacks confidence really). Form tailed off badly last season and minutes were reduced accordingly. Lucky to sign on this year after offerring his services at budget rate!!! Maybe says it all.

Reply #245807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754