skip
Years ago

Rick Burton Quits

From nbl.com.au

National Basketball League Commissioner Rick Burton has announced his decision to leave the NBL in order to accept a new position as the Chief Marketing Officer of the US Olympic Committee, ending his four-year tenure with the League.

He will step down at the end of next month. The NBL Board is currently looking at different people to fill his position as Commisioner.

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=5314

Topic #12417 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

He came in to the league with teams folding , no naming sponsor and no free to air tv.

He leaves with teams folding, no naming sponsor and no free to air tv.

Brave man that takes on the gig.

Maybe Eddy G can do it in his spare time?

Reply #144538 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Rats jump a sinking ship....

Reply #144539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I wanna know is how he landed that role? The NBL has NEVER been marketed correctly under Burton.

Anyhow, I think this is a good thing as long at Bob Turner stays away from it.

Early and wild prediction: JVG. Lol.

Reply #144540 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Kent I cant wait to see that comment in Boti's article about Rick leaving :)

Reply #144542 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

goodo on yer bike dick .

Reply #144544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Rick has done a lot of great things. He brought in a second melbourne team, brought back the all star game and got the NBL back on free to air TV. I'm not saying he did everything right but you have to admire what he DID do.

Reply #144550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The good done by bringing in the dragons was undone by bringing in the slingers.

Reply #144551 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think Rick has actually done quite a good job.

I think the league is in a lot better shape than when Rymarz was in charge (ie, we have had naming rights sponsors, a strong fox deal, expansion the league).

West Sydneys money issues were around before Rick came to the job, and Singapore's issues are more to do with local marketing than a NBL issue.

Certianly challenges ahead for the new person, but at least the league is in a better shape.

Reply #144552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cowan brought in the Dragons, not Burton. The NBL just accepts a license fee.

Reply #144560 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Would not be crediting Burton with much in regards to improvement of the state of the NBL , why ?
Because their really is not any .

Guys like Mark Cowan , Eddy G , and Mal will ensure this league survives .

Now we just need some vision , a universally fair and adept ruling body and some $$$

Reply #144574 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

Just don't give the job to another American that doesn't understand how to market a sport in Australia, and doesn't realise that a sporting code cannot compete with the likes of AFL without a decent free to air TV deal.

Reply #144617 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

exactly shirls

Reply #144632 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

Rick was my marketing professor in college. Brilliant guy. I think Americans and Aussies are culturally similar enough that the techniques used in either country would work. The league was a ticking time bomb and bball doesn't resonate with Australians the way it does with Americans. Pity because you actually produce some quality players.

Reply #238893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754