Nick
Years ago

Brett Maher Injured

For anyone that didn't see, Channel 9 just reported that Brett Maher has injured his groin while playing with his kids and is uncertain to be ready for opening night on September 21. Brett says he able to shoot around but a full on training is just to much at this stage.

We better keep our fingers crossed for opening night and hope it's nothing that will shorten his career.

Topic #12510 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

May come off the bench to start the season?

With Newley out, if Maher isn't healthy, that will hurt.

That said, Davidson can start at point, and they have two shooting guards in Ng and Copeland to back up Chappell. Just means that Ballinger would shift to SF and they'd have a weaker (IMO) frontcourt in terms of offense.

Reply #145778 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

They have Davidson that can start with back up from Sutton at point.

Chappell with back up from Copeland and NG as shooters.

Agree with Isaac, that the frontcourt may be lacking a little.

Reply #145789 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Davidson/Sutton
Ng/Copeland
Chappelle/Mottram
Ballinger/Mottram/Dodman
Cooper/Dench

Assuming the Mottram is still the likely replacemnt for Newley.

Ng has apparently bulked up quite a bit in the off season and could be capable of starting.

Reply #145792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eating a donut is bulking up for Darren. I really hope he has a break out season.

Reply #145793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motteram a backup 3? U idiot.

Reply #145794 | Report this post

Sir Swish  
Years ago

I would have thought that the starting 5 would have looked like this anyway once Newley announced his departure;

Maher
Chappell
Ballinger
Mottram
Dench

Would start Dench over Coops for offensive ability seeings as you would now have to start Motts, I would think? If Maher is unfit to play round 1 then Davidson will slot into the starting 5 and be backed up by Sutts!!

Reply #145831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look I dont want to be negative but is anyone else out there concerned over Brett's fitness. He had issues last year with injuries and before this year starts he injures a groin playing with his kids. Is this a bad omen for this year?

Reply #145842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That wont be the startin 5. It'll look somethin like..
Davidson
Maher (assuming he gets better)
Chappell
Ballinger
Dench
With Coops pushin the 5. I think coops has been playing better than Ballinger, but I don't think he'll start. Davidson has def been a standout.

Reply #145847 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i am with forget the starting 5 - breet maher is the key - at his age his fitness and recovery are issus but the guy is the most professional in the league - he is also crucial to sixers no maher no game IMO

Reply #145859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty ordinary team no matter which way you go for starting line ups. This team wont finish any higher than 7th or 8th.

Bring on the ABL 2008 season!!!!!!!

Reply #145882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm gonne play devil's advocate here but given the basketball world is full of guards that could have, should have, would have made it , why is it an issue when a guard has an injury? the level of respect being afforded the roster of guards / development players doesn't exactly exude confidence in the roster. If they are good enough to make the team, this forum topic is closed BUT if they aren't why are they there?

Reply #145893 | Report this post

BRUCIE  
Years ago

I have never seen so many people with the name anon or are you all PW instead

Reply #145924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754