cavolo
Years ago

Div 4 Mens GF - North Win on last shot

I know some people out there feel that Div 4 mens is glorfied social, but to those who are involved or are interested, North Adelaide won a thrilling grand final tonight against South Adelaide at Pasadena.

North's player/coach, Paul Harding, reknowned for his 3 point shooting ability, subbed on for the final 35 seconds with North in possession and stroked a game winning 3 with about ten seconds left to put North up 53-51. That huge bucket silenced the big and passionate South crowd, and sent the smaller North Adelaide crowd into raptures.

North jumped to a strong 30-14 (?) half-time lead on strong defence leading to easy fast-break baskets, but when South switched their defence to zone in the second half, North struggled and turned the ball over regularly.

South kept chipping away at the lead and slowly overcame the ten point barrier that they couldn't shake all game. In the final minutes, they scored conseuctive baskets and took the lead, 51-50 with about 1:30 secs to go, leading to Paul's huge three to put North up 53-51 and to ice the game.

Congrats to the huge crowd who came out and supported all - what a night it made! It was very reminscent of the noise heard at 36ers games with people stomping on the wooden stands and chanting. Congrats to all the players who played in a fantastic spirit and sportsmanship and persisted through very inconsistent umpiring against both teams.

Awesome night for basketball and for all involved - good to see the game is alive and well in the lower divisions. =)

Topic #12599 | Report this topic

sounds like a port power game !

Reply #146653 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Can imagine what went through the mind of the player that gets subbed out by the player/coach in the last 35 seconds of the game..

"Stupid, bloody glory hungry coach who thinks he's going to win the game on his own and I can't handle the pressure of a grand final and..... OH MY GOD, what a great shot, Coach I LOVE YOU!"

Reply #146659 | Report this post

word  
Years ago

Why would shoot a three with ten seconds left, if your down by 1? If your down by two its an option, but 1?

Reply #146663 | Report this post

Scott W  
Years ago

The player chose to come out, not the coach choosing to come in.

And why not shoot the 3 when you are open and know you can make it?

Reply #146666 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Funny post Phizzer! =)

By the look of it, everyone loved the player/coach after the game! Lots of celebration and congrats to him.

I don't think anyone cared who was on, not on, subbed out, floor sweeper etc with a finish like that! =)

In reply to the question about shooting the three, the 24 was almost up, South's zone was sagging big time, so the three point shot was as practical to take than any other shot given the situation, especially considering that's a money shot most times for that player.

Reply #146668 | Report this post

Years ago

hey guys i played for in the game for south. Good win to the boys from north, it was a good game.

It was a shame that last shot went down but it was almost wide open. It just sucks that his only points for the game was the ones that buried us.

Thanks again guys

Reply #146675 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The thing that is most fascinating about div 4 this season is that no Forestville team made it to the grand final. They usually dominate div 4.

Also, having played div 4 in the past for a few seasons, I think that the standard, especially at the top is better than any A Grade social I've played.

Reply #146690 | Report this post

Greek Street  
Years ago

Just goes to show that Div 4 & 5 are held in high regard by the players and people involved, despite people constantly bagging the comps. Well done to North & better luck next season South.

The lower divs will always be an option for players that cant commit the time to the higher grades.

Reply #146699 | Report this post

Adam West  
Years ago

I would like to thank everyone who came out over the finals series to support our South Div 4 team.

The Atmosphere last night was awesome.

What a match!

Congratulations North Adelaide.

2 points. Not a bad effort for SOUTH who finished seventh at seasons end!

WELL DONE BOYS...!

Reply #146707 | Report this post

Stats Room  
Years ago

Quite funny that they had to drop down the barrier between Court 1 & the rest because the Social Players on Courts 2 & 3 were complaining about the noise!!!!

Bet that doesn't happen most weeks, was actually a bigger crowd than the Div 2 GF the night before I think, definitely noisier.

Reply #146712 | Report this post

Scott W  
Years ago

Was a great atmosphere to play in. Would have to be the best game I have ever played in and have been playing for over 10 years.

Big thanks to everyone who came out to support North. And thanks to South for a great game. Your crowd was awesome.

Reply #146715 | Report this post

pagey  
Years ago

Congratulations North Adelaide.

Would have been a shame for them to lose after dominating the north pool this season.
This south team finished third in south pool, their other team finished seventh.

I play for said forestville team. it was a shame to not be there playing but we were beaten in first week of finals by Western Magic who played a hell of a game and were more desperate.

Congrats again to North

Reply #146739 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Nice one Cavolo, glad you got the win. Sounds like a great game, disapointed i missed it!
Congratulations North!

Reply #146751 | Report this post

Jemma  
Years ago

hey! i was at this awesome game and sitting behind my great dad the coach of South!!!! it was a really good game to not just have adults sittin there supporting... but also having like 10 - 15 teens watching. it was so cool. north played a really good game.
i think it wa ssuch LUCK

Reply #146758 | Report this post

Jemma  
Years ago

hey! i was at this awesome game and sitting behind my great dad the coach of South!!!! it was a really good game to not just have adults sittin there supporting... but also having like 10 - 15 teens watching. it was so cool. north played a really good game.
i think it wa ssuch LUCK to get that last shot especially in the last 10 seconds. well done for that.
im very proud to b the daughter of Matt B. and one of his biggest supporters.

jemma b

Reply #146759 | Report this post

BFresh  
Years ago

Was an awesome comeback by the South boys, must have been heartbreaking to go down in such dramatic fashion in the end.

The atmosphere was great at the game, a real credit to local district basketball. Im also happy to see a thread finally promoting the merits of the lower divisions rather than dismissing them as 'social'. Wednesday night at Pasadena was what Basketball is all about!

Reply #146764 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Something which I forgot to find out about - but what happened to Forestville 1 who forfeited their final to West Adelaide?

F/ville won the game according to the player stats by at least 20 points.

To me, the most likely scenario is that the game was forfeited due to a player playing who had been ejected from the week before or possibly hadn't qualified properly from the regular season??

Can someone confirm this for me and put to rest my curiosity? Thanks

Reply #146776 | Report this post

Stats Room  
Years ago

Having looked at Sporting Pulse, you will find they played a player who hadn't properly qualified

Reply #146784 | Report this post

Coach Matt  
Years ago

I would like to thank all the people who are talking about this game. WHAT A RESPONCE.

Congrats North to the most sucsessful coaching sub in a grand final. oh and by the way thanks to North to for the Game.

To all my boys, I could not be more proud of the way you all presented yourselves at the game and afterwards at the Avoca.

Fantasic atmosphere to play in from the spectators. I have never coached in anything like that before. Go basketball.

Reply #146793 | Report this post

u16 coach  
Years ago

yest rat 10 old bujega or how you spell his name for forestville always used to dominate and they would win - did he play this season ? havent seen a div 4 game for months

Reply #146837 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Big ups to everyone involved in this Grand Final. While I'm devestated for the South boys after following their journey through the finals, both teams put on an awesome show and the game was played with passion and the highest level of sportsmanship. It was one of the best atmospheres I've ever been involved in during my basketball days.

Reply #146841 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I must also give credit to North for bringing their very own Barry "The Cougar" Dawson. That man-perm was certainly something to marvel at.

I still have no idea what his "Horse Flu" heckle was all about during the game, but would who's gonna argue with The Cougar?

Reply #146843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In response to the 'old bujega' comment. Yes Twain did play this season. His team came top of the South pool and played Western Magic in the first round with Western beating them and knocking them out.

Reply #146931 | Report this post

HOT CHICKS!!!  
Years ago

hi 5's to the hot chicks sitting front row supporting the north adelaide rockets!!!

you girls rocked the court, even though you chicks were out numbered by south kids!!!

the chick in the pink shirt was damn fine! yo, if anyone knows this sweet lady give me her number!

hi five to u beautiful girlz who rocked and supported the game..mwa

and what about that cute number 3! he scored a great 3 pointer and the crowd roared!

hi 5 to all the rocket boys, oh what a HOT crowd you had.. by the way number 13 rocks the pink chicks world!!!

peace out xxxo

Reply #146952 | Report this post

SPIFFY!!!  
Years ago

hi 5's to the hot chicks sitting front row supporting the north adelaide rockets!!!

you girls rocked the court, even though you chicks were out numbered by south kids!!!

the chick in the pink shirt was damn fine! yo, if anyone knows this sweet lady give me her number!

hi five to u beautiful girlz who rocked and supported the game..mwa

and what about that cute number 3! he scored a great 3 pointer and the crowd roared!

hi 5 to all the rocket boys, oh what a HOT crowd you had.. by the way number 13 rocks the pink chicks world!!!

peace out xxxo

Reply #146953 | Report this post

el  
Years ago

oi,
pink girl,

that strapping number thirteen is the one and only j-money.

email is [email protected]
holla at yo boy from the hood

regards,
your friendly neighboiurhood spider man.

also, twas the best game i've ever played in
fo ever ever

Reply #147636 | Report this post

el  
Years ago

did anyone video the game???

please
please
please

Reply #147642 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754