Isaac
Years ago

Smyth: 36ers to take out anger on Kings

Phil Smyth says that the 36ers are still angry about the result in Perth (not mentioned by him directly, but obviously referencing the refs' calls late in the game) and will be fired up for Saturday's game against the Sydney Kings. Bitey, even.

"The attitude at practice was pretty narky. I think when you lose the way we did, you come back with a lot of residue anger.

"The guys were still pretty pissed off and the session was very competitive. Everyone was having a crack at it - they were all a bit bitey."

Julius Hodge is going to start in this game.

Boti has more.

Topic #14147 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

So I would think the starting line up will be

Cooper
Ballinger
Hodge
Maher
Davidson

Cant wait too see how Mottrams mask looks.

Reply #165877 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Why do we need to be angry in order to play the way we should ALWAYS be playing?!

Reply #165881 | Report this post

Smyth Stinks  
Years ago

What crap! I was at the game last sat in Perth and the only thing that cost the 6ers the game was Phil Smyths coaching and Julius Hodge, not any so called bad ref'ing, as the ref'ing was no worse then any other game.

It is baffling to me why everytime the sixers needed a basket the ball was given to Julius Hodge out of a time out to try and score which resulted in multiple turnovers and ultimately cost the sixers the game as Hodge cannot shoot from outside and was unable to finish any drives to the hoop. Great pick up!

Wake up Phil, stop blaming others and maybe consider that you should have ran a few more plays for either Brett Maher or Ballinger, who are the best two players we have by a country mile.

Looks like another 30 point drubbing this sat by the the Kings. No doubt the refs and the colour of the kings uniform will be blamed for this up-coming loss as well.

Reply #165882 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Angry makes them play better??????

Reply #165885 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

It just better be controlled anger.

The kings offense, back screen slashes, reverse cuts, is designed to draw a lot of fouls, and get their forwards to the foul line a lot.

A physical, slow, 'narky', 'bitey' contest is just going to play into the hands of the Kings who thrive on that type of contest.

Reply #165886 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

DOnt care wat anger it is. all i wont is a win and they cna most defintly do it. Sixers by 2 in close won.

Reply #165888 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

i think sixers are on verge of exciting finish - beating top side kings and after watching the hawks - have every reason that with balls and davo / maher looking good that will happen - hodge be real bonus the guys has the key way moves to get to the basket
beat the kings - they are due and those angry pills phil been feeding the boys might just turn the tide

Reply #165893 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I dnot agwee Kobi-four-MVEEPOO

But thanks for your input. :-)

Reply #165894 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

The heat could be the deciding factor. Phil would've canceled today's training, & Goorj would've had his boys doing bench presses in the Sahara.
Is anyone going to the game?

Reply #165895 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I will be at the game. :-)

Reply #165896 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

So which is better DDFan?

Reply #165897 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Obviously , by some of the recent posts the heat is already a factor .
DDfan - do you need a life ?

Reply #165898 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Sorry DD Mate , i meant do you need a lift ?

Reply #165899 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Did we win or lose that last game that the players got 'angry' for. I can't remember.

The Sixers should be angry, not because of what happened in another state with another team last week, but because of the pathetic and truly incompetent first half performance we put up against Sydney last time.

Would be nice for some consistency one way or another.

looking forward to seeing what Hodge can do. I am also hoping that a week more with the team will have him not forcing it as much as he apparently did last week.

Reply #165900 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Kings looked a bit shabby against the Hawks last night, could be a chance for an upset as long as we do not wait until we are 30 down to start playing. Like we did last time!

Reply #165901 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by rotate:
"Sorry DD Mate , i meant do you need a lift ?"

Not so much a lift, as lipo. Chin, man-boobs & love handles should do the trick.

Reply #165904 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Ill be very interested if someone has accually read the NBL preveiw for the match. It states that we have a very good chance and there prediction is SIxers by 1.

Dicko maybe im not as insain as you thoght after all :P..

Reply #165909 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

DD Fan - i read that as saying you would like man boobs and love handles . Is that the reason for the DD part of your name ?

Reply #165912 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Smyth Stinks (don't bother iZac, even I can figure it was "me"):
"What crap! I was at the game last sat in Perth and the only thing that cost the 6ers the game was Phil Smyths coaching and Julius Hodge, not any so called bad ref'ing, as the ref'ing was no worse then any other game."

Backing EC, the point was made that the opposing coach went beyond the "bad luck mate" & hand-shake.

Posted by "me":
"It is baffling to me why everytime the sixers needed a basket the ball was given to Julius Hodge out of a time out to try and score which resulted in multiple turnovers and ultimately cost the sixers the game as Hodge cannot shoot from outside and was unable to finish any drives to the hoop. Great pick up!"

iZac's mole, said Hodge's a great foul shooter. Did you pick that?

Posted by "me":
"Wake up Phil, stop blaming others and maybe consider that you should have ran a few more plays for either Brett Maher or Ballinger, who are the best two players we have by a country mile."

On the contrary, like EC, I don't know that Phil's blaming anyone. Has anyone related to you (guys) the same story first hand, that went to press?

Posted by "me":
"Looks like another 30 point drubbing this sat by the the Kings. No doubt the refs and the colour of the kings uniform will be blamed for this up-coming loss as well."

The crumbles? Bring it on. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!!

Reply #165918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DDFan, "me" and "Smyth Stinks" are posting from different IPs, plus it's a different writing style and content to "me" IMO.

FWIW, I did wonder after reading the account of the game whether the decision to go to Hodge persistently in the clutch was a bit risky. Historically he isn't a great shooter - 26% 3P and 67% FT in 04/05 for the Wolfpack - and driving into the Perth wall would be a tough assignment.

Reply #165920 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Wouldn't the Perth Wall've been focussed on Balls, & the defence have Muzzy under close scrutiny?
Not that I was there, but neither were the majority of HoopsSA posters, other than "me" & now "Smyth Stinks" (silent since Jan 5th).

Reply #165924 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Possibly but not necessarily. Was just my "didn't see the game" guess.

I am wondering if Hodge might have more luck against Sydney since their big men, while part of a strong defensive strategy, aren't overly intimidating.

Reply #165926 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

DD, I have restrained from posting comments either to you, or in reference to you as i feel you are nothing more than a waste of space, oxygen, bandwidth and seating at the dome.

Your continual hijacking of useful or interesting topics is a bore, just shut the hell up, each time you put your fingers(?) on the keyboard you reafirm the fact that you are nothing more than an idiot.

Reply #165930 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

It's almost like SOME of you wankers want the Sixers to fail just so that you have something to whinge about!!!

FFS - Phil sucks, get rid of Chappell, get rid of Dench, Darren is too skinny, Davidson is too small....bla bla bla bla

All you "fair weather supporters" - piss off. Try being real supporters and actually back your team. Go to a game (cause I am sure most of the sooks I am referring to have never been) bring a few friends (if you have any) and actually cheer for your team!!!!

Isaac - can you please put a filter on this forum to keep sooks away?!!!!!!

:-)

Reply #165947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You've just sooked about the sooks - the filter would block your access! ;)

As I've said before, if you want just the "real supporters", watch the crowd drop and the owner struggle to maintain the business. You need the hardcore supporters, the critics who attend, the occasionals and those trying it out.

I think most of the posts in this thread aren't too bad - who besides "Smyth Stinks", Dicko (interstate) and "me" (interstate) do you think are non-attending sooks? Not ShaneD? They've been posting on 36ers forums for ages and almost always positively (not sure if they go to games or not).

Reply #165949 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Touché Isaac.

I guess I got a bit carried way with the dizzy heights of my soap box! You make a good point that the people who bother posting are probably die hard fans of the game of basketball, if not the Sixers. The point I was trying to make is that I think we need to remember that they are a team of professional athletes who like in any organisation, are often the victims of poor decision making by others around them.

I am probably as guilty as the next poster of the occasional dig at the coach, or player, or administration. The topic of this thread was reflective of a positive attempt by the team to lift and show something this week. So I think that instead of having a go before the game is even played, lets do the fan thing and support the hell out of them!!!

Plenty of opportunity to whinge later!!!

Reply #165956 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by me:
"DD, I have restrained from posting comments either to you, or in reference to you as i feel you are nothing more than a waste of space, oxygen, bandwidth and seating at the dome."

Not a prob mate. Isaac's pruned your "good seats wanted for the cats game" thread, about me being a liar, having no friends etc etc ....

Cheers

Reply #165957 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

And these people walk our streets sigh

Reply #165962 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Almost need to get school kids in here to have some calm sensible conversation happening! YIKES!

Reply #165971 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hope the anger this Saturday doesn't translate to fouls. With the rough and tumble style of play the Kings play, perhaps all the 36ers should wear face masks. Wouldn't it be not only funny but make a real statement to the refs if they all entered the court wearing helmets, the type with a metal cage section on the front like the ones worn by kickboxers when they do stick fighting.

Reply #166013 | Report this post

downwind  
Years ago

all pissing in the wind

Reply #166019 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Like it EC...although, im visualising the Kings being wheeled out, tied to sack trucks, wearing full leather face masks...all very "Silence of the lambs" style.

good statement to the refs too.

:)

Reply #166078 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Seem to remember this is what was said the last time they played them in Sydney and look what happened there. Agree with 'downwind', it is all pissing in the wind. As I said last time, playing physical is not part of the Sixers culture, part of their fabric. May show itself for a few minutes at the start but as the game progresses old habits will dominate.

Reply #166090 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

How did that anger sh1t work out guys?
Not heard anything since last week. :P

Reply #166505 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754