TR
Years ago

Funny Write Up: Hawks V 36ers

Okay guys and girls... here is a little write up about tonights debacle.....

We began the game very well in the first quarter. The boys ran the floor very well and were also filling the lanes. Davidson pushed the ball up and we looked very good in transition. We were crashing the boards hard and people were running. A few times Balls beat the defence for some easy baskets. In the first quarter Hodge was unstoppable. I think on back-to-back plays he got 'good and one'. He definately showed that he has a place in this league. The Hawks didn't have answer for him.

Defensively the Hawks pounded the ball into the post on the first few possession, and we were giving up baskets each time. Life was pretty easy for the Hawks inside to begin with, our interior defence was average. Campbell's three at the buzz bought the crowd into the game and left them only slightly trailing with momentum.

The second quarter got underway and it was totally different to the first. We stopped running, things slowed down and the Hawks upped the ante and started to run. Hodge was still on his rampage but we went away from him at times. Copes had a few nice baskets, especially a nice pick and roll with Mottram.

Sutton entered the game and well...... One shot for an airball.... soon benched never to be seen again until Davidson fouled out in the last.

The 36ers committed a few turnovers which led to fast break points. Simply steals by Franklin whilst bringing the ball up....

We had the Hawks in early foul trouble in the second, but never utilised it. I think we had them with 5 fouls at the 8:00 mark.

'Coach' didn't call a time out in the first half.... zero...

Third quarter pretty much went the way of the second, stagnet basketball without much movement and some 'coach' issues (get into that later). At one stage early we had Davidson covering Campbell....

The 36er were in early foul trouble. 5 fouls by the 8:30 mark and the Hawks utilised it to push out a bit of a lead.

Around the middle of the third (I think), Ng inbounded the ball to Davidson and Kench or Phillips (not sure which) launched Davidson towards the baseline with a blantant two handed shove. Davidson ended up on his back and got up gingerly. Motioned to the bench he needs out, but that took a while to happen.

By this stage we were behind by about 10 (from memory) and it was the Hawks first real run. The 36ers got it back to 6 and 'coach' subs Balls out of the game....

Towards the end of the quarter, Copes had his brain explosion. The game had been niggling with at least two little shoving matches before hand. I didn't see what set Copes off, but a foul was blown by Haslam (average average game) and Copes just turns and charges towards Haslam and gets into his face. To be honest, it was a very agressive act by Copes and worthy of an ejection. The turning point of the game and the chain of events which followed was the game...

Campbell had 4 free throws (making 3) and possesion to the Hawks. On the next three plays they made three 3 point shots without Adelaide scoring.... Rigby the first, Phillips and second and Franklin on the buzzer.. Game over.....

The last quarter we finally starting hitting some shots from outside and narrowed the gap to around 10 with 5 to go. Didn't get much closer as it became a foul-fest towards the end.

Now to some observations and I'll be critical..

Dench: How he got 15 mins this game is beyond me. He offers absolutely nothing to this squad. The bloke is seven foot tall for god sake, stop parking your ar$e at the three point line and start playing like a big man should. Your services should not be required for next season.

Sutton: Saw little action, but was okay bringing the ball up under pressure, anything else was too hard. He shot an airball and when he was on it was easy to see it was a game of 4 on 5 in our offensive sets. Not sure what we do with this kid as I like his hussle and defensive pressure.

Davidson: Great.... I like the way he hustles and busts his arse. Hit some clutch threes in the last to keep the 36ers from totally flatlining. I like the way he came back from the injury. A true warrior and someone we need to retain.

Hodge: Unstoppable in the first half, especially the first quarter. I think he got into a war of words with Trahair and Campbell and he seemed to be in the thick of things. I like his game and I wouldn't mind see him next season. I like how Hodge goes to the boards and appears to be a pretty hard worker.

Ballinger: Pretty quite in his return to the Gong. Nothing outstanding but still put up 15 and 7. We needed more from him tonight.

Cooper: Hmmmm... not much to rave about..

Mottram: Well, the lad likes to foul, he seemed the only person that knows how to set a hard pick. I like his energy, just needs to keep his fouls under control.

Ng: Outstanding.... Along with Hodge and to a lesser degree Davidson kept us in the game. Made some clutch baskets, but didn't shot well from the arc. Still a great game...

Copeland: Not to sure what caused the brain explosion, but it changed the game. Made some very nice plays and played under control. Didn't take any bad shots from memory and made some nice drives.

Now things get dicey and I expect to get flamed.... The coach....

One rule as a headcoach, you defend your players... When Copes had his brain explosion 'Coach' got up out of his seat and walked towards Haslem. He muttered something, turned around placed his hands into his pockets and returned to the bench and plonked himself down. Brehney (spelling) then spent the next 30 seconds talking to the refs whilst 'Coach' slouched in his chair. Sort of tells me the attitude of things. One Hawks fan said that was the worst thing he'd seen a head coach do in ages and I tend to agree.

In the last 5 mins Adelaide got it back to around 10 points, and the 36ers started pressing. 'Coach' sat on his perch and didn't move. Sorry, but it's the coaches job to motivate and drive the players, stand up and make some noise, walk the line, be involved in the game. The body language screams "not interested" to me.

I really don't like his time out methods. Strolls about 3 metres away from the group an shoves his hands in his pockets, Brehney does the same. Once again shows lack of interest.

Tonight Cooks totally outcoached 'Coach'. The Hawks ran different offensive sets utilsing back door cuts, high posts sets and low post sets. Adelaide's offence involved the PG passing to a wing and then the movement stops. Our sets were terrible. They showed no imagination and thought at all.

Some other observations:

- No idea on what to do when Hodge gets doubled in the low block. He got caught out a few times without an outlet pass. No movement, people just stood and watch him... He needs an outlet, plus some cutters cause I believe he has the passing ability to hit them.

- No idea on how to set and/or utilise an off the ball screen to free up a players on curls or backdoors.

- We can't let the likes of Phillips and Kench score double digits

- Franklin would look great in a 36ers jersey

Well that's pretty much it, we really need to find something before Brisbane or it's going to be even more embarrasing....

Topic #14286 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Thanks for the report TR, good job. The sad thing about it is that I wasn't shocked at all to hear Coach didn't do anything proactive. And when that's the case, you know something's wrong.

Reply #167955 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Thanks TR

Well written, great info

Reply #167957 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah nice report TR. One question since u saw the game... I noticed Hodge's assists were down slightly from his last few games and that Davidson played 39mins. Was Davidson playing PG that whole time or did Hodge play that Point Forward role that he has been playing very successfully the last few games. To me he looks like a great passer and creater and we should get at least 15-20 minutes a game out of him at the point.

Reply #167961 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

Great write up Tr, totally agree with everything you say. We need fresh ideas and tht requires signing a new coach for next season. Their recruiting should focus on finding players of Davidson calibre (in terms of his hussle, energy both on and off the court and enthusiasm)

Reply #167970 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Interesting to see that despite loosing to possibly the worst team in the comp with one import our coach still manged to be "pleased"

Can you imagine Scott Fisher, Joey Wright , Allan Black or Brendan Joyce being "pleased" when they win....hell no. With them i can imagine chairs been thrown at players heads around the locker room with a result like that.

We need some passion and enthusiasm to get the right results.

Reply #167976 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Word TR. (or words)

Great write up and I'm glad you got out of the Stadium with all your bits and pieces in tact.

It seemed this end that Ballinger didn't spend much time on the court in the last quarter. What was the story morning glory.

Reply #167977 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

If our other players would be good enough to defend and they passed quickly Hodge could get a good driving lane and it would be easier to score or pass the ball out..Maybe run a screen or two for him aswell, keep the other team moving and thinking.

Reply #167981 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Great write TR, very interesting read

Reply #167989 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

awesome write up tr

Reply #167992 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Super Effort TR , got a real sense of what was going on at the gong last night .

Not one time out in the first half with an undermanned squad playing their 2nd game in 48 , truly cannot believe this and it may of funnily enough led to our poor 2nd quarter .

done this before but next year starts here .

FRANKLIN / DAVIDSON
MAHER / BURDON
HOLMES / TOVEY
BALLINGER / DODMAN
COOPER / MOTTRAM

HOLMES - as captain , surely we can hook him up with an agency over here so he can continue his career in the advertising industry .

Can slide down to the 4 and even guard opposition C although you don't want to rely on that .
Would allow a potent combo of FRANKLIN , MAHER , TOVEY , HOLMES and BALLINGER .

TOVEY - No newley then we want Tovey . He can slide down to the 2 and provides something we have not had in years a tallish athletic swing who can create his own shot .

FRANKLIN - is getting on . It would mean our main backcourt roto would be aged 33 , 34 , 35 and small , but you know what you are gonna get and his positives outweigh the age factor .

When Ballinger naturalises we go after a ROSELL ELLIS type PF who can guard opposition bigs , grab boards and score on scraps .

Reply #167999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swap Hodge for Franklin and Ng for Burdon (provided Ng wants to play next year)

Reply #168008 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Id rather Hodge and Ng over Franklin and Burdon. I dont know what kinda hooch you've been smoking. I think TR needs to head around to your house with some of his boys with a warrent.

Reply #168012 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

XztatiK, all depended on the play, Hodge did carry the ball quite a bit in the point forward role and usually led the break. He controlled the tempo and created numerous 2 on 3 situations. Only a few times did he decide to go against two defenders and once he though he could take three. To his credit he got the shot up, missed and then grabbed the offesive rebound and was fouled on the putback. Davidson was more used when the Hawks applied full court pressure (which they did a fair bit) and also as the release pass from a defensive rebound. At times he pushed it hard and beat the Hawks back (mainly in the 1st quarter) which led to easy baskets for Balls and Hodge.

I was guessing the 'coach' decided to rest Balls for the Brisbane game in the last, only thing I can think off. The last quarter comeback (if you can call it a comeback) consisted of Dench on the court, so maybe coach just rode the 5 on the court and waited to see what happened. Dench..... my god....

Franklin actually plays taller than his height. I like his runners and tear drops plus he's not scared to take it to the hole.

The scoreboard didn't really indicate the true outcome of the game, and how a 'coach' could be pleased loosing to the Hawks outfit after being let back into the game (Hawks did take the foot off in the last) is amazing.

One team played structure organised basketball with movement and imagination and the other team didn't... I'll let you guess which team was the better.

Reply #168031 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

If you guys have read any of my posts then you would know i am a massive fan of Darren Ng .
I assumed it was a given that he would not be playing next year due to medical prac. If he was to make himself available then absolutely he would be in that team .
Would not be opposed to keeping Hodge either , suppose he can handle some point to relieve pressure from Davidson & Maher .
As for the hooch , Dr Bullshit i hear the boys in blue have the best green so send em round .

Reply #168034 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

We must have seen 300 different iterations of people's suggested teams for next season on here, and not one has featured Dench. Gives a pretty good indication as to what Adelaide supporters think of the guy's performance this year.

Reply #168063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754